PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Choices...

madbiker
12-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Given some of the new choices out on the market, what are people here looking at getting?
I've been using speedplays for a while, but am thinking of giving the Look CX6 a try now that they have better (non-squeaking) cleats available. Anyone else here use the CX6? What about the CX7? Worth the extra dough?

quattro
12-09-2004, 10:09 AM
I have riding the Speedplay Frog pedals for several years on my road bike and like them very much. However, I have a Morton's Neuroma on my left foot and have decided that a stiffer road shoe and pedal with a larger cleat platform may help make my ride more comfortable. So, in searching for new pedals I have decided on the new Time RXS, not yet available in the states, but rumored to arrive by the end of this month. I have read a few reviews by some members of this forum who seem to like them. I will be switching from Sidi Dominator 4 Mega to Sidi Genius 5 Mega shoes. The Time cleat is supposed to by a larger platform than Look to spread more of the contact area and hopefully not impact the area of my Morton's Neuroma as bad. I'll post a review after I get some miles in on them.

Ray
12-09-2004, 10:16 AM
I have riding the Speedplay Frog pedals for several years on my road bike and like them very much. However, I have a Morton's Neuroma on my left foot and have decided that a stiffer road shoe and pedal with a larger cleat platform may help make my ride more comfortable. So, in searching for new pedals I have decided on the new Time RXS, not yet available in the states, but rumored to arrive by the end of this month. I have read a few reviews by some members of this forum who seem to like them. I will be switching from Sidi Dominator 4 Mega to Sidi Genius 5 Mega shoes. The Time cleat is supposed to by a larger platform than Look to spread more of the contact area and hopefully not impact the area of my Morton's Neuroma as bad. I'll post a review after I get some miles in on them.

I used to ride Speedplays also (x-2 for a while, but then Frogs for years) and then switched to Look. I've also used Time pedals. Coming from frogs, both Look and Time have platforms that feel ENORMOUS in comparison. Just huge. The difference in platform size between Look and Time is tiny and I'd be amazed if you'd notice.

The bigger difference between Look and Time is the type of float. Look is free (sort of like Speedplay, but with more friction in the system so it doesn't feel as slippery) so your foot stays where you put it. Time has spring loaded, self-centering float, that always tries to pull your foot back to center. Did I hear somehwere that the new ones allow you to adjust this all the way to zero? I'd wager that the feel of the float will be a bigger issue to you than the size of the platform.

-Ray

quattro
12-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Ray, thanks for pointing out the differance between the Time and Look. While I do like the float of the Frog, I have never had a problem with it feeling like it was to much float. My sense is if you make nice round circles and your foot doesn't get sloppy on your pedal you don't need a lot of float and won't have a problem with a pedal that has a lot of float. I rode Look pedals about 10 years ago and never had a problem, I don't think they had any float at that time. I'll give the Time RXS a try and if I am not pleased I'll switch to the Look. Thanks

Big Dan
12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
I remember the Look float being only the back of the cleat. With Time cleats you can move the front and back ..I really like the Time pedals and find the self centering spring tension to be a great feature... :banana:

Ray
12-09-2004, 12:34 PM
I remember the Look float being only the back of the cleat. With Time cleats you can move the front and back ..I really like the Time pedals and find the self centering spring tension to be a great feature... :banana:

Yeah, it's strictly personal preference. A lot of people do like self-centering float, a lot don't. I was just observing that the transition to the type of float in the Look system might be less disconcerting than the transition to Time float for someone used to the smooth as glass - no resistance float of a Speedplay.

-Ray