PDA

View Full Version : Advice about frame builders at the States (moved to General)

Ángel García
03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi,
I am a spaniard, 48 years old, 1.70 height and 68kgs weight. I do own a custom steel Columbus spirit Pegoretti duende (which is a joy to ride), a custom Ti by Darren Crisp (form you country but working at Italy, in the Toscana, very comfy even though a bit dead as it is straight gauge ti) and a custom alu by Dave Tiemeyer (very happy about it). I am thinking of a new frame and would be grateful about advice from you, as my possibilities are:

- custom steel either Reynolds 953 or Columbus XRc (stainless steel, do not worry much about the weight, just to try new steels): Which builder would you advise? (I have very good references of Carl Strong and IF, wonder if there are any others working with those tubesets, I want TIG welding, no lugs). If I decide to order from Europe, probably will be from Tiziano Zullo in Italy.

- custom magnesium, I have been in touch with Lennard Zinn, as far as I know the only one who works with that stuff, he has been extremely nice to work with so far but I hesitate as I do not have references or have heard nothing about how his frames behave from any owner

-custom carbon, the problem being that Serotta, Parlee, Calfee and Crumpton are nowadays out of my reach (it is different with some european builders, cheaper in general, perhaps not that good, but ...Cyfac in France and Zerofour in England, as well as Guru in Canada, it has a distributor in Europe).

Any advise will be much wellcomed and thanks in advance

Ángel García
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I had obviated another possibility, which I know nothing about: Renovo frames, made of wood. Wonder if anyone has any experience with those.

Pete Serotta
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I would suggest looking at Kirk Frameworks and also Carl Strong, additionally IF makes a very nice product.

Serotta just cam out with a Ti (classique) which is nice. Additionally look at the HSG frames from them.

Regards Pete...

if I can be of any assistance, send me a note at Pete@serotta.com

RkyMtn
03-03-2009, 01:38 AM
I have a 953. I am of the opinion that the tubing diameters are not wide enough yet, as the thinness of the tubing with the small diameter tubes allows for some flex between the head tube and seat tube. Wait until the diameters get larger, and then pull the trigger. Otherwise, the stainless tubing is wonderful and will be the steel tubing of the future.

I've ridden as many bikes as I could for a number of years and now have in my garage a Moots Vamoots, Cannondale Synapse, Serotta Meivici, IF 953 SSR, and 2(!!) Pegoretti's (a Duende and a Marcelo). The Serotta is a delight, and if you have the means, you won't be disappointed by one of these. Serotta is also, in my opinion, one of the best at servicing their customers. For an additional $250, you get a no questions asked insurance policy for a complete frame replacement (I think you might pay for shipping.) I have a friend that utilized this and had her new bike in 6 weeks (she drove it into the garage!)

Calfee is another that I would consider. The Tetra is a great balance of stiffness and ride compliance. I have not ridden this one, but I have someone in my network that loves his, and he likes Pegoretti's too.

As for my collection, if I were only to have one bike (HA!), it would be a long decision between the Serotta Meivici and the Moot Vamoots. And, mind you, I LOVE my Marcelo!!!!!!

Best regards to you!

Eric

paczki
03-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Angel,

I have 953 bikes made by Igleheart and Bob Brown and they are amazing. Take a look at Bob Brown's website, you wont be disappointed.

As to other materials, what about Musseuw's hemp/carbon bikes?