PDA

View Full Version : Full Front End Replacement?

dvs cycles
03-02-2009, 04:15 PM
What is included in this from the repair price table?
Ti models are $1495.
I'd like to replace my Legend 1" headtube with an 1 1/8"
along with removing the shifter bosses on the down tube and relocating them to the headtube, and of course an new fork.
How much of this is included.? :beer:

Pete Serotta
03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Where did you get the $1495.....? From Serotta or who?

The "metal" items that you mentioned I am assuming would be included. Is it "natural" or painted?

as to fork??? Once I know more I will find out but my initial assumption is probably not.

If it is SEROTTA, send me a note and lets discuss. PETE

dvs cycles
03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Where did you get the $1495.....? From Serotta or who?

The "metal" items that you mentioned I am assuming would be included. Is it "natural" or painted?

as to fork??? Once I know more I will find out but my initial assumption is probably not.

If it is SEROTTA, send me a note and lets discuss. PETE
Got it from this link. OOPS it says $1295.
http://www.serotta.com/owners/repair_pricing.html
It is a brushed finish that needs redoing and decals also.
As for fork? Currently have a Reynolds though originally I had a Threaded Time Carbon.

Pete Serotta
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
It would include Front end and cable adjusters, alignment, finish refurbish, and decals.....

If you get ready to pull the trigger let me know and I will check on the fork price - since you are getting everything else done.

dvs cycles
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
It would include Front end and cable adjusters, alignment, finish refurbish, and decals.....

If you get ready to pull the trigger let me know and I will check on the fork price - since you are getting everything else done.
Thanks Pete. Just comparing price of new Legend at 6K-ish to updating the old favorite for 2K. Have to see how my next Vegas trip works out. :beer:

old fat man
03-02-2009, 07:21 PM
what about just a head tube replacement and then mounting trek style cable stops onto your downtube? might save you a bunch and still get you into a new "modern" carbon fork.

Louis
03-02-2009, 07:50 PM
updating the old favorite for 2K

A few random thoughts / questions:

1) How certain are you that after the head transplant it will retain the characteristics that make it your favorite?

2) If it is already your favorite, why change it? Must be pretty good if it rates that label.

3) If you want something modern why not save up for a while (if cost is the issue) and get a frameset that matches what you're looking for?

Just some ideas that came to mind. Major surgery on body or bike are IMO the very last option and done only if no other choices are possible.

Good Luck
Louis

Spicoli
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I am not too sure 1 1/8 is even "better"? :confused: I have bikes (Serotta's actually) in both sizes and to be honest I have never had a problem with any of my 1" forks, performance or durability and have had a couple issues with the "newer/better" way of doing things. Grab a 1" Alpha Q GS10, great fork and it will make a good bike even better IMO. They are not that hard on the wallet either. Cable guide issues can be solved by criss crossing your cables under your downtube and then say goodbye to the rub problem?

Way cheaper and less invasive me thinks :beer:

Elefantino
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
A few random thoughts / questions:

1) How certain are you that after the head transplant it will retain the characteristics that make it your favorite?

2) If it is already your favorite, why change it? Must be pretty good if it rates that label.

3) If you want something modern why not save up for a while (if cost is the issue) and get a frameset that matches what you're looking for?

Just some ideas that came to mind. Major surgery on body or bike are IMO the very last option and done only if no other choices are possible.
Read these words verrrrrrrrrrrrrry carefully. Particularly No. 1.

Smiley
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
DON'T DO IT. Trust me sell the frame and start all over. Its just not worth the face lift you intend to do.

giordana93
03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
DON'T DO IT. Trust me sell the frame and start all over. Its just not worth the face lift you intend to do.

unless you otherwise have wrecked the front end, take the above advice. just live with the bike as is. and then one day retrofit some downtube shifters on it and thank yourself for not changing anything. think about it: you'll have to have the front tubes cut out, an already ugly proposition, even more so on ti than steel. oh the list goes on. what exactly is the symptom you are trying to rectify (other than the clean cable placement, but that's not worth the pain)? experiment with some differnt fork options

rspecker
03-03-2009, 01:26 AM
I honestly don't remember what Serotta charged me, but my recollection is that it was $1200 or so with all parts and labor.

Smiley raises an interesting issue=should you do it? I'd be curious why he thinks you should not.

To me, if the bike fits you perfectly then the $1500 is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new Legend.

And I can tell you that with an F3 fork compared to an F1 fork it will feel like a new bike.

My only possible regret is that I'm not sure the original fit on my Legend was perfect--I need a zero offset seat post to get into the right position; and I think the overall dynamics of the bike would be better with a 20mm setback. I've never been able to confirm with Serotta whether my bike was designed with a setback seat post in mind (they probably think I'm nuts for asking!) and the bike shop that did the fit hasn't been able to help either. But I suspect the frame design did assume a setback seat post--so what I have is slightly suboptimal. Of course it isn't a major problem--but not "dream bike" land where everything is perfect.

So the point of my ramble is that if you have a weird issue like the one that bothers me with mine, then you should consider whether you will really be happy with a new investment in the frame. But it the frame is otherwise perfect, then why not?

Pete Serotta
03-03-2009, 06:23 AM
I have even entertained doing this to my old legend ti if I ever decide to replace F1 fork...

Steve from Serotta assures me it will be like a new bike. If we have your serial # we can validate if you decide to do it.

I would love to see you on a new frame as I would love to see me on a new frame but I also love my ole ti....

Pete

Birddog
03-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Full Front End Replacement?

I'm leaning towards going for it.

http://www.hollyscoop.com/BlogImages/89401130---Heidi_Montag_Boob_Job.jpg

Birddog

Smiley
03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
The reason I say don't do it, is cause you can always tweek the fit. make it better. Change the BB drop or slope the TT for more clearence. You can make a bike ride better just by purchacing a heads up and a thredless carbon fork, better wheels etc. A whole face lift is not going to add to the re-sale of your frame, ever!

djg
03-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I just wouldn't bother. If I were choosing between two new frames, I'd go for 1 1/8th rather than 1". That would give me a greater selection of forks, headsets, and stems now, and likely a greater one still going forward. In addition, the larger diameter head tube may confer a theoretical advantage which may or may not matter a bit in real life.

Supposing you might like a new fork in any case . . . why take your favorite (and undamaged) bike apart, ship it off for a while or two or three, spend 1300 bucks, plus the cost of a headset, plus shipping, plus . . . who knows, chasing those sorts of advantages? And there's an additional risk -- although I trust Serotta to do great repairs, etc., making major changes to the front end of the bike entails a risk that you'll get something back that seems (a) different (the point of the whole thing) but (b) somehow, not wonderful or at least not as wonderful as what you'd sent away. I'd buy some killer wheels or something else instead.

Of course, if you just have a hankering for a new bike, then go for it. But in that case, I'd rather just get the new bike (or frameset).

dvs cycles
03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Bike fit is perfect and has been for the 92000 miles i have on this bike.
Only when I went to a carbon steerer fork did I notice it was a little flexier in the steering than with the steel tube.
1 1/8 forks on other bikes I've ridden don't flex tortionally as much.
Bike needs repolishing and decals and have carved grooves into the headtube from the cables rubbing.
Fork is due to be retired soon anways.
Would NEVER put down tube shifters on a bike again.
Don't really have 6K for a new frame right now and this one has all new components.
I trust Pete on this one. :beer:
I didn't post this to debate but to ask what was included so I could price out my options.
Thanks for your opinions.

palincss
03-03-2009, 06:37 PM

That whole "front end replacement" thing isn't intended as a cosmetic face lift at all, is it? I'd have thought this was all about crash repairs, not botox-for-bikes.

Pete Serotta
03-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Back when the F1 fork was first made there were less "standards" Today the Ouzo is a close (rake) replacement... Additionally some others might be also but that is the one that I am most familiar with. Another reason to rebuild is that the original F1 was threaded, when you go to threadless (since threaded carbon forks are no longer available) you lose "stack" height. In that case when you go to 1 and 1/8 you might want to include a HT extension. Ti is a longterm material and SEROTTA Ti frames have a life time warranty.

Ti bikes "used" no matter what ht diameter are not in great demand. My recommendation is not to do things to your bike to enhance a possible resale down the road, for I assure you that you will not get the $$s back - it is the same as 98% of the cars. DO THINGS that will make you want to ride it more and that put a smile on your face. PETE

That whole "front end replacement" thing isn't intended as a cosmetic face lift at all, is it? I'd have thought this was all about crash repairs, not botox-for-bikes.

dvs cycles
03-03-2009, 06:46 PM
As far as I'm concerned it isn't cosmetic other than the polishing and decals. It's updating functional parts to a newer better version.
Pete has answered my question already.
Debate amongst yourselves. :beer: