PDA

View Full Version : TA Zephyr thread stripped!

slowgoing
01-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Last night when I was removing a TA Zephyr crank to put on a new frame, the threads completely stripped out of the inside of the drive side crank arm. I've done this hundreds of times with Campy cranks and never had a problem so I don't think it's user error, unless special precautions are needed. Three questions: How do I get the crank arm off the bb spindle now that it has no threads with which to pull it? Short of just putting it on a new frame and keeping it there forever (or leaving it on this one), what should I do with the crank? Any of you have this problem before?

Richard
01-12-2004, 10:51 AM
There was a recent thread about this type of problem on the Velo News forum. Try a search. If memory serves, one solution that was suggested and seconded, thirded, etc. was to use a product called JB Weld and cut new threads. I've never used the product, but if it can do this job, it must be good. I remember that cleaning the area seemed to be the key.

Richard
01-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Further to your problem, there exists a special kit to ream and tap the crankarm threads to an oversized dimension. Then a special, oversized one-key release style crank bolt (supplied with the kit) is installed. Problem solved; crank saved. Easier than JB Weld and you don't risk permanently expoxying your crank to your BB.

Too Tall
01-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Go to a pro shop and find an owner who has a thread chaser for cranks.

Use a Campag puller to finish the job, they have tighter tolerance than Park. When threads yank out often times only the outter few threads are affected.

What sort of puller were you using?

slowgoing
01-12-2004, 01:14 PM
And it was a Park tool.

The threads sure seemed a little soft on the TA Zephyr. Really took me by surprise.