PDA

View Full Version : Campy stuff - Serviceable?

weisan
12-09-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi folks,

So, I am a Shimano guy. Well, not exactly, I don't care what I use as long as it works. Brand loyalty plays a very insignificant role in my mind. I had tried a pair of good O' campy 8-speed carbon ergo shifters at one time. The right side got damaged by a knock and I quit using it. I heard that one advantage of Campy over Shimano is the availability of servicable parts. I always wonder about that whether it's true or not. Well, let's prove it. I am investigating the possibility of purchasing the parts required to fix the carbon body that has broken off and lost. Take a look at the pic below to see what I mean...

http://www.alicehui.com/serotta/campy/campy_fix.jpg

The left side still works perfectly and looks like it has many miles left in it so it's a shame to see the pair went unused because of one damaged part.

I scout around the Internet but couldn't find anything. Short of buying a brand new shifter, does anyone know whether I can still fix the damage or are the shifters pretty much toasted?

thanks,
weisan

Bill Bove
12-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Time to go to a real bike shop! Go to Campagnolo.com and click on the Pro Shop icon to find a qualified shop in your area. Or go to www.branfordbike.com they'll probably have the part. You can download instrutions from www.campyonly.com It's not hard to do but the learning curve is steep, the first time it's a pain in the arse but once you've done it, half hour max.

Tony Prioli
12-09-2004, 08:31 AM
The original 8 speed shifters are easier than the new ones. 8 speed lacks the assist spring, and makes the re-assembly a snap. The part you need, should retail around 40.00 dollars.
Tony
campy proshop participant

weisan
12-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Time to go to a real bike shop! Go to Campagnolo.com and click on the Pro Shop icon to find a qualified shop in your area. Or go to www.branfordbike.com they'll probably have the part. You can download instrutions from www.campyonly.com It's not hard to do but the learning curve is steep, the first time it's a pain in the arse but once you've done it, half hour max.

Hi Bill,

I went to campyonly.com....boy, that site is a beast. Can you do me a big favor? Help me locate the exact download link to the instructions. Thanks buddy! I am not afraid of the learning curve. ;)

regards,
weisan

weisan
12-09-2004, 09:52 AM
The info and parts I need is all found on the Brandford website, thanks to Bill.

http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk04.html

It would be the 1991-1997 year Campy Ergo Record Shifter. #11 on the diagram:

Carbon Ergo lever body for your left, or front derailleur side, shift lever. Two models; one for use with cartridge bearings for Record and Chorus, another with brass bushings for Athena, Veloce and Mirage. White print says "Carbon BB System" for Record and Chorus. The lettering may be easily removed with wet/dry fine sandpaper. Athena, Veloce and Mirage are solid black.
LD-97-09 $39.88ea EC-RE032