PDA

View Full Version : Record 9s lever Question.

tuscanyswe
03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
So ive got these 9 speed levers laying around.

The look great, close to perfect but the shifting without cables attached is weird.

If im in highest gear (biggest to smallest cog) on the right lever i get the 8 clicks when going down to lowest gear without issues at all. s

However when going from low to high (still without cable installed) i only get 5 or 4 and sometimes 6 till its at the highest gear. If im really carefull sometimes i get the 8 clicks.. Im guessing this is the campy shifting thingy that lets you upshift more than 1 at each time that gets in play even when im trying to go 1 gear at the time. This also seem to happen more frequent in the first clicks rather than the later where they seem to go 1 at the time.

Now, is this a g spring issue (just heard about those) or is this just the way the right campy lever behaves when theres no cable attached to put tension on the mechanisms involved?

Ive never used them or had them installed as i bought them used. My mechanic said they would be fine but im thinking bout selling so id like to know whats up.

Any help appreciated.

Thx

thwart
03-01-2009, 09:10 PM
'Unloaded' Campy ergo's are difficult to evaluate in the way you've done, since you can double or triple shift both up and down, and sometimes the clicks are indeed subtle.

I'd bet that the G springs are still good, although maybe not as crisp as they once were...

John M
03-01-2009, 09:12 PM
'Unloaded' Campy ergo's are difficult to evaluate in the way you've done, since you can double or triple shift both up and down, and sometimes the clicks are indeed subtle.

+1

tuscanyswe
03-01-2009, 09:19 PM
That helps.

dookie
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM
put a cable in 'em, clamp the loose end in a vice, and pull lightly to put some tension on it...now how do they feel?

tuscanyswe
03-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I would if i had a campy cable at home.

tuscanyswe
03-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Tried with a brake cable i had laying around.

Works like a swiss clock!

So what a good price for these 9/10 condition levers?

DfCas
03-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Campy instructions used to say not to operate them without a cable installed with tension.

Dave
03-02-2009, 07:26 AM
As for the price, I've sold Record levers that were only a couple of years old for $95 on E-bay. I guess I priced them a bit low, since they were bought in 5 minutes.

When you can buy 2009 Centaur 10 carbon levers for well under $200 with a new cableset worth $40 and consider that the internals are the same as Record (except not 11 speed), the $95 seemed plenty high to me.

tuscanyswe
03-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah thats what i figured too, till i searched completed auctions on the evil bay. Good cond record 9 for 206 + ship, ouch.
Guess ppl like 9 speed alot?

However i will not ask for anything like that.

Dave
03-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Some people do pay what seems like stupid-high prices on E-bay. Recently though, I couldn't sell 2009 Chorus 11 speed shifters, with a cableset, for $240.