PDA

View Full Version : SOMA Euro Trip Fenders

PCR
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm needing new fenders for my bike. I'd like to give the Soma Euro Trip fenders a try. Anyone have them and care to post their experience with them? Thanks all.

NateM
03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I installed a set on a 95 Ser Ti that lacks fender eyelets in the rear.I used a reach around and split the fender.Used p clamps on the seat stays.The stainless stays on the fenders have a limited amount of adjustment as they are a closed loop on both ends.One side is encased in the plastic breakaway,the other in the attachment to the fender itself. I didnt have enough leeway in adjustment to get the fender to tire completely even.The method for securing it to the fender uses a philips screw which pinches against the plastic as its turned in, be careful there. They look nice but are not quite as sturdy as the SKS fenders.My bike was not designed for fenders but the metalic blue was enticing.

PCR
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Thank you Nate. I may buy some SKS or PB fenders and paint them myself. :cool:

bfd
03-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I have their titanium colored fender on my Paul Taylor black with
ti-colored panels. The fenders and panels are a perfect match. Sorry,
don't know how to post a picture, but here is a picture of the
frameset, so just compare it to the ti-colored fender and you should get the idea or I can email a photo of the bike if anyone is really interested:

http://taylorbicycles.com/html/gallery_5.html

The only downside with the fenders is they attached the hanger bracket
on the inside/underside of the front fender. This required them to cut out a hole in the fender so the mounting bracket can go up through it to
reach to the brake bolt hole. Dumb. There is now a hole right
underneath the bottom headset cup and water splashes up into it. I ended
up taping up the hole. Its obvious the people at Soma never looked at a
SKS or other types of fender that mounted the hanger bracket ON TOP of
the fender, thus negating the need for putting a hole into it.

Also, the rubber mudflaps are angled upwards. At first, I thought this was dumb, but in practice it seems to work OK.

So, if you have a bike that matches the color, it may work. Otherwise, buy something else and paint it. Good Luck! Brewster

PCR
03-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks Brewster. I'm inclined to do the SKS and Krylon Fusion paint thing. They have a blue that's pretty close to my frame color. I'll post pics when complete. Hey, nice Taylor!

xjoex
03-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks too, I had been thinking abotu a pair.

-Joe