PDA

View Full Version : To answer some posts

girlie
03-01-2009, 01:46 PM
"Are any of you who complained about this at the show? Did you see it without having to click on a link?

If you are not - what gives you the right to complain or call for it to be removed? I mean this is insane.

This is the Internet, there are lots of pictures here that may be offensive to some. If you don't like those pictures, don't look at them, don't go to those websites, and don't support the entity that created the offensive piece.

But to sit at your computer and call for action to be taken....? Just move on and and don't get worked up about it.

Peace"

I would like the opportunity to respond to some of these posts.....as I have studied these topics at length.

ONCE AGAIN IT IS NOT ABOUT CENSORSHIP.

KonaSS,
If it were an art portraying a lynching would it get such defense or even have been chosen to be in the show in the first place. Would you defend it then? These are the questions that you should be asking yourself. And that may help you understand why I (a women) am so effected by this imagery.

"I can't tell if everyone in this thread is joking or not. The wheel is awesome, not only because its GnR, but because Robert Williams is incredibly talented, and has a lot of really cool work out there. Check it out."

Cantdog,
Robert William is a talented and brave artist. To make these images and be willing to put them out there for all to view and judge is brave. Though this is a reproduction and for the subject matter it is out of context by that mere fact. The recreation of it is neither about being brave or talented.

"If this is the booth I think it is, the bike's down tube had equally distasteful artwork and I was definitely offended when I saw it. Mostly it reflects poor judgment of the person who chose to display this stuff. Very tacky indeed. But with so much other fabulous work to see here, the best thing to do is spend your time and energy looking at the great work and appreciating the builders and products that you admire."

Karin Kirk,
As I have stated earlier the artwork on the down tube functions differently. There is a history of that type of imagery - bomber girls on airplanes. Men going into battle. Another and my main reason for that one being different is the women is a participant in the sexualization. She is welcoming it and it is not an illegal act of violence toward her. This image is not without issues though is having a completely different dialogue with the view than the sexual assault. Which is why, I would guess, you instinctively respond better to it.

"It is just one person's 'art'.

My brother in law (who I think is great) is tattooed up with some pretty lame tats, but I trust his judgement to youth, different tastes and perhaps wayyyyyy too much weed.

In the end, he's a great guy, probably like the painter of that stupid wheel.

Don't sweat it."

d douglas,
I agree with you. I think the painter 10 to 1 didn't know what he was doing and Peacock Cycles didn't know what they were doing. But ignorance is the definition of prejudice.

I rarely write this much. This wheel is in 2 worlds I care deeply for art and cycling. In the end I can walk away cause it is just an image though it's social acceptance as not being something disturbing and somes inability to even see it as a sexual assault is scary to me as a neither an artist or a cyclist rather as a woman.
If i we a black man or woman and saw an image of a lynched black person painted on a wheel I would be justified in my rage or taking issue with it. Though as a woman I am told to simply move on. Please just take a moment to think about the fact IT IS PORTRAYING A SEXUAL ASSAULT in a none art setting at a commercial (to sell and make profit) event. It was acceptable enough to the displayer that they didn't think it would or might effect their bottom line....that type of ignorance is the scariest part of all of this.

Now back to your regularly scheduled channel. I won't be able to respond to posts right away as I am off to watch some junior high basketball. I'd prefer if people responded via pm as not to have this get too ugly -thanks.

Best and Sincerely,
girlie

markie
03-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Will someone lock this thread and stop this poster from being a troll?

Bruce K
03-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I am going to close this thread not because the topic may be controversial but because I am afraid it is going to get very personal very fast.

I understand girlie's outrage at the image and can see the points she is making.

I may or may not agree with any or all of them. Again, I'm staying out of this one altogether.

Again, I am not going to offer an opinion one way on the other on the topic but will leave that to each individual viewer.

I only ask that we move on from this one.

BK