PDA

View Full Version : anyone ride veloflex pave?

Climb01742
02-28-2009, 03:48 PM
i was thinking about trying a pair of pave clinchers. anyone have an opinion/experience? i like my vittoria's but was curious. any insights appreciated. thanks. :beer:

trophyoftexas
02-28-2009, 03:53 PM
...with them and really like them a lot. No out-of-the-ordinary flatting problems and a really nice ride.
i was thinking about trying a pair of pave clinchers. anyone have an opinion/experience? i like my vittoria's but was curious. any insights appreciated. thanks. :beer:

stackie
02-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Only tire I've ridden that's better than the Pave is the Veloflex Criterium, but that's a tubie. I got relatively good wear for a 200lb guy and no more flats than any other tire.

Get 'em. You won't regret it.

Jon

MIN
02-28-2009, 04:02 PM
It rides fantastically well - incredibly supple and grippy but at the expense of durability. My experienced ended with a 1" side wall blowout over a small pebble on the ground. Durability notwithstanding, it was the best riding tire I've ever tried, tubular or clincher.

1centaur
02-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Light and comfortable, but I concur that it's a little lacking in durability. It's more than the wear rate, which might make it a good 1200 mile tire, it's the feeling of thinness that makes me wary of it on wet days with more road grit and small rocks than average. That said I had one set that started getting too many punctures way too soon and another that keeps on keeping on. I feel Vittorias are more durable and roll a little better - too bad they're so much heavier.

MilanoTom
02-28-2009, 04:18 PM
I've had good luck with them, but actually like the Corsa and Master better, although they're slightly narrower. To me, they just seem to ride better.

Regards,
Tom

Johnnyg
02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
i was thinking about trying a pair of pave clinchers. anyone have an opinion/experience? i like my Vittoria's but was curious. any insights appreciated. thanks. :beer:
I ran Victoria's for years and have switched to the pave and found them to be a more supple ride, similar to tubulars, a nice ride. Good luck. JohnnyG

TAW
02-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, my experience has not been as favorable as some. There were durability issues, but I also did not feel that they were as supple as the Vredesteins I normally ride. They are better than some, but I just didn't care for them.

Crazy Chris
02-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I had a pair about 6 years ago. They fit easily on the wheel, but they seemed to cut easily. Once, after a ride, I was talking with friends next to our bicycles on a bike rack, and suddenly the air went out of the Pave. Good for a few laughs, but really annoying. I can go a year and longer with my Conti Gatorskins or 4000s without having any problems or flats.

Elefantino
02-28-2009, 05:24 PM
One of my friends swears by them.

I've never tried them since I became re-addicted to Conticaine.

zmudshark
02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Have them, like them, very similar to tubulars, but they *seem* thin. I haven't ridden them much at my AZ home, ride them a lot at my MI home.

I've been afraid that the sharp stones and cacti would puncture them more easily than the Conti 4000's. This is all just perception, because I run cheap tubulars most of the time here in AZ, and have only had one flat all Winter.

C50
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
The Veloflex pave black is my favorite clincher tire of all time for good to moderate road quality. I have them and the Deda Corsa RS (same tire different label) on two bikes. Love the ride quality and have had great life relatively speaking. For more durabilty I do like the Conti GP 4000, I think it has more cut protection but a little less suppleness in road feel. I don't know how to measure that but that is how it seems to me.

By the way the tires are used on exactly the same wheelsets at the same pressure.

93legendti
02-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I ran Victoria's for years and have switched to the pave and found them to be a more supple ride, similar to tubulars, a nice ride. Good luck. JohnnyG
Same here.

thwart
02-28-2009, 07:14 PM
One more positive, but the rear is wearing pretty well already at only ~ 700 miles. Front looks almost new.

Hill climbing bike...

wasfast
02-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I've ridden them for the last 5 years on my dry bike and love them. They handle well because the tread is soft. That means susceptibility to cuts and sometimes flats. 1500 miles on a rear is decent wear.

probikekit.com has excellent prices on these. I use Continental GP4000's on the light wheels for my rain bike. For a lighter(not light) tire, they do ok. I have a set of Specialized armadillo all conditions 23c's for commuting. They're slow as mud, are slick in the wet (hard tread) but never flat.

MIN
02-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I might add that these are a pain the ass to mount. You can't use levers with them since the sidewall is so thin.

SpeedyChix
02-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Love em. They do wear a bit quicker but ride much like a tubular.
Light, compliant, roll well. Just watch for road debris.

I probably run through two rears to one front (wear)

wasfast
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Tire levers are for removing the tire, not mounting. Two thumbs is all that is needed.

bironi
02-28-2009, 09:24 PM
nice ride, but thin and not very durable. Easy to mount, dismount. Tires are always a compromise of price, performance, and durability. I like the Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX currently, but that could change with the next tire mounted.

Matt Barkley
03-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Havn't posted in awhile. This is the only clincher I ride. I use a MrTuffy on the rear to get more miles / avoid flats in the rain. :beer: - Matt

rustychisel
03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
agreed. The best, in my book. Currently have them on 3 bikes.

bigdeal
03-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Great tires, ridden them for the past 4 years. I've tried others here and there but always come back to Veloflex.

fogrider
03-02-2009, 01:09 AM
veloflex was formed when vittoria moved their factory to thailand. the ex-employees bought the old factory and they formed veloflex. take a look at the tire tread of the pave...looks a lot like vittoria's.

slowgoing
03-02-2009, 02:03 AM
definitely worth a try. Even if you don't like 'em, no big deal, right?

dancinkozmo
03-02-2009, 09:29 AM
ive got a sweet pair of black/gumwall paves coming from pbk...cant wait to try em !
(sad i know, but theres not much going on in my life right now ! :D )

torquer
03-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Like almost everyone else who has posted, I found the Paves wonderfull, until they flatted, despite the protective belt. The "Black" model, which seem to be the same tread/casing but without the skin sidewall, are a bit more durable in my experience. I couldn't see any difference between the Paves and the Deda Corsa RS either, although the Dedas, when available, are even more expensive than the Veloflexes. Gomitalia (sp?) also offered a very similar tire, but I haven't seen that brand available with any regularity in a few years.

The deal-breaker disadvantage to the Veloflexes, for me, these days is that they aren't available in the wider sizes that I now ride. So it's Pro 2/3 Races for me, 25c width, and it would be tough going back to a narrower profile.

C50
03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
You are right the veloflex pave black and the Dead Corsa RS tires are exactly the same. I guess they have to charge more to make them seem a little different.

ron l edmiston
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM

"love em!"

ronnie :)

HSG Racer
03-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Beautiful tire! I used Paves for several years but I finally switched due to their lack of durability. Paves are smooth and silky but they tend to flat at the most inopportune times during a long ride. Their rolling resistance is also not great. The Corsas are better and the Veloflex Records have very low rolling resistance but the Paves are just average when it comes to RR.

I would suggest using a "thorn resistant" tube with the Paves. This is one tire that is not designed for thin tubes such as continental supersonics.

Grant McLean
03-02-2009, 03:32 PM

The new 2009 Vittoria corsa cx2's are now 320 tpi,
up from 290. they're also available in 23 and 25.

The veloflex are 22mm

-g