PDA

View Full Version : Probably Dumb Roller Question

Onno
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Before I do this and bruise my ego and other parts, I thought I'd ask you all: can one raise the front end of the rollers slightly to create the effect of riding somewhat uphill?

It occurs to me that I do this all the time on the treadmill I run on (on which one can electrically tilt the running plane upwards), and it does indeed make the running harder, simulating a hill. Does this work with rollers too, assuming one can set it up fairly stable, and that the bike doesn't simply fall off the back?
If so, what is the physics of this? It doesn't seem exactly like riding (or running) uphill, since you are not actually moving your weight anywhere. With rollers ordinarily, it's just friction, right? With a treadmill, I suppose it's different, because you are actually throwing your own weight forward and upward.

mandasol
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I had to think about that for second. I think all that would effectively do is raise your handlebar position and tilt your seat upwards.

Onno
02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm glad it was a second, at least. :D

What about riding on a treadmill? What's the difference? If one rode on a treadmill set at an incline, you'd have to ride harder to keep your weight from falling off the back. Why wouldn't the same be true of rollers?

P.S. I flunked out of college physics, though I wasn't completely terrible at it.

Richard
02-28-2009, 02:48 PM
It would simulate the position of riding uphill -- body tilt, etc., but the reason a running treadmill uphill tilt simulates climbing is because you have to lift your foot and leg uphill with each step. On rollers, the rear wheel is driving the front (the belt) and it is not being lifted, it is just rolling, regardless of the tilt.

marle
02-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I think the bike would roll backwards off the rear roller with a free wheel bike. With a fixie, it might work.

paczki
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Put bricks in your jersey pockets. And rub shoe goo on the belt.
:banana:

Richard
02-28-2009, 03:17 PM
If you could ride on a treadmill, you would be lifting the wheels as you rode it up the tilt. The bike really moves, just like in running. On a set of rollers, you don't lift anything, you just spin the wheels regardless of tilt.

You would need a long treadmill or you would have to be maniacally attentive.

Joe Cyclist
02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Put bricks in your jersey pockets. And rub shoe goo on the belt.
:banana:

And then the next day, tilt the rear roller up, get in your tightest aero tuck and you'll set a new PR.

MIN
02-28-2009, 04:04 PM
If you want more resistance, ride at lower psi. The only resistance that rollers offer is rolling and that is controllable with air pressure. I run as low as 40 psi but that doesn't feel so good when doing intervals over 140 rpm.

capybaras
02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Eat a pint of ice cream right before you ride.

regularguy412
02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Another alternative to add resistance to rollers is to fold an old piece of carpet just high enough that it puts a little drag on the two rear rollers. That means: put it between the bottom of the rollers and the floor. In this way, the rollers can still be level but you'll get a bit of added resistance.

I personally just use rollers for technique and for recovery rides. I'm not crazy about adding resistance to rollers. I do my resistance/interval work on my trainer. If you want a fun workout, try this: Do a circuit of leg extensions, hamstring curls and squats. Then climb on the rollers for 15 minutes. Then do another round of weights. Repeat. Your legs will hate you in the morning. And the last couple of intervals on the rollers become a study in concentration.

Mike in AR:beer:

Dekonick
02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
To add to that -

I just used for the FIRST time ever - a thigh master type thing in the gym. I now realize that there are quite a few muscles that never get worked cycling... I can barely spread my legs to stretch today... OUCH!

92degrees
02-28-2009, 06:43 PM
killer
headwind
fan

giordana93
02-28-2009, 09:10 PM
53x12 should do the trick. rollers aren't for resistance. it's nice to add if you have a killer kreitler, or other apparatus, but if you can stand 45 minutes to an hour buzzing along at 100+ rpm, then its time for a different intstrument of torture.
translation. forget resistance. do high cadence jams to spike your heart and make you painfully aware of bad pedaling technique. and recognize that resistance training is so much more enjoyable on the road and that's why you suffer this shi@t in the winter, to hone your spinning technique. the dividends of roller training are never in the wattage, it lies in the mantra (and you don't know how to ride if you have not yet understood this): pedal faster, not harder. enjoy your pain.

Ti Designs
02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Eat a pint of ice cream right before you ride.

What does that have to do with rollers?

Onno
03-01-2009, 08:38 AM
If you could ride on a treadmill, you would be lifting the wheels as you rode it up the tilt. The bike really moves, just like in running. On a set of rollers, you don't lift anything, you just spin the wheels regardless of tilt.

You would need a long treadmill or you would have to be maniacally attentive.

My question was really about the physics of the issue. The reason you don't lift anything when you ride rollers is because the rear wheel is essentially held in place by the two rear rollers. If you tilted the rollers far enough so that the rear wheel was in danger of falling out of the 'cup' of the two rollers (or perhaps if you pushed the two rollers very close together), then I think rollers would work like a treadmill.

Richard
03-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Not really, the rear wheel always stays at the same relative elevation. You simply are pivoting the mechanism around the axle. Even as you pedal, the whee/bike/axle combination is always at the same elevation. With a tilted treadmill, in order to keep from flying off the end, you must lift a weight (your body) up and forward. Try drawing a picture. That might help.

capybaras
03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
What does that have to do with rollers?

Try it first, then ask me.

Ti Designs
03-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Try it first, then ask me.

I've had ice cream before riding rollers, after riding rollers and while riding rollers...

capybaras
03-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I've had ice cream before riding rollers, after riding rollers and while riding rollers...

I knew it! It is true what they say then, you are "not a normal human."

Ti Designs
03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I knew it! It is true what they say then, you are "not a normal human."

On my 40th birthday I ate 40 scoops of ice cream, went on a 60 mile bike ride around cape anne with the Harvard women's team and competed in a drunken crit that night.

capybaras
03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Is there video of that impressive feat? And have you started making plans for the 50th? :beer:

djg
03-01-2009, 11:30 PM
On my 40th birthday I ate 40 scoops of ice cream, went on a 60 mile bike ride around cape anne with the Harvard women's team and competed in a drunken crit that night.

Nobody can eat 40 scoops of ice cream. Cool scoop Luke.