PDA

View Full Version : 10 Speed D/A Triple?

SoCalSteve
12-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone heard if this will exist? if so, when?

Oh yeah, is the 10 speed Ultegra Triple available yet?

Think the new D/A is worth the extra $$$?

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

jerk
12-08-2004, 03:34 PM
summer.

yes.

sure.

jerk

mokmu
12-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Check out velonews. They just posted pictures today. Here's a link.

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7281.0.html

gdw
12-08-2004, 04:33 PM
I know that some of you guys are fans of the new Dura Ace doubles but that triple is fugly. The outer ring is so massive it looks like a mountain bike rock ring.

Dave
12-08-2004, 06:42 PM
If you've never tried campy, this would be the time. Campy's had 10 speed triples out for 5 years. You can buy campy groupos of comparable quality for no more than shimano. Long term, campy drivetrains may even be less costly to operate.

The campy ergo lever provides far more flexible operation of the front derailleur, which is vital for a pleasant triple crank experience. The ergo lever has 9 clicks to position the FD and all the clicks are the same. There are no "partial" or "soft" clicks for trimming.

Unfortuantely neither Campy nor Shimano offer 10 speed cranks in a 53/39/30. This combination provides a much more uniform gearing progression and less frequent use of the little ring. That's why I chose FSA cranks for my campy 10 triples.

I can provide more detail if interested.

SoCalSteve
12-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Just like Mac and PC, both have their pluses and minuses. I use both Campy and Shimano, Record and D/A. I love the look of Record, but for some reason, I like to not have to think about shifting when I ride and Campy requires a bit more thought than Shimano.

Just like a Toyota Camry and a Ferrari....Easy to drive a Camry, much more thought needs to go into driving the Ferarri...And yes, I realize that you get so much more from the Ferrari, but maybe its nice just to ride without having to think about it...

AND, I do not want to start a war here...I do use both and like both. I think I like Shimano just a bit more.

Oh, last thing....I really like the wireless Flightdeck over the wired ErgoBrain.

Thank you for all your guys help!

Steve

eddief
12-08-2004, 08:23 PM
but give me any compact double:

Ritchey
Sugino
FSA
Nashbar
TA
etc.

over THAT DA triple. Does not strike me as aesthetically pleasing.

jerk
12-08-2004, 09:43 PM
having tried the compact...and having never shifter out of the 50 tooth chainring except once, upon which the guy drafting me crashed into me on a fairly steep hill due to the rapid decrease in speed, the jerk states categorically that henceforth the jerk will only refer to compact by its older and more definitive name, "alpine gearing". outside of the alps, alpine gearing sucks. it's great for going up really steep stuff and down really steep stuff, hence its use by everyone from proffessional cyclists in mountain stages of the tour de france to alpine tourists....nonetheless it is abyssmal in anything resmbling flat terrain. the middle gears are just gone. unless you can push a fifty tooth chainring all the time, (which here in eastern new england the jerk almost can) forget about compact...or don't....110 may be the future, but the future for the jerk includes a 42 tooth chainring...not a 36 or heaven forbid a 34. where are you alpine gear people riding?
jerk