PDA

View Full Version : Good news for me

LegendRider
02-27-2009, 06:16 AM
After 11 in years in the same office, my firm is moving today. The good news for me is my commute is reduced by 80 miles per week. That's not insignificant in Atlanta. I'm not sure it will translate into more time on the bike, but it will definitely improve my emotional health!

Kines
02-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Congrats!

"not insignificant", you say of 80 miles?!?!

I guess I'm spoiled. I have commuted by bike for about 25 years. My commutes to schools and work have been 6, 8, 2, and now 4.5 miles.

KN

rwsaunders
02-27-2009, 06:53 AM
Mark....using 20mpg @ $2.25/gal and 49 working weeks/year, you will pocket appx. $440/year.....or the equivalent of two new Rapha Softshell Gilets every year. :cool:

LegendRider
02-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Mark....using 20mpg @ $2.25/gal and 49 working weeks/year, you will pocket appx. $440/year.....or the equivalent of two new Rapha Softshell Gilets every year. :cool:

I plan to use my savings plus some federal TARP funds to get a complete Rapha kit.

palincss
02-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I plan to use my savings plus some federal TARP funds to get a complete Rapha kit.

Rapha makes tarps?

cp43
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
I just got some info from my car insurance company. If you ride your bike instead of driving often enough you can get classified as an occasional driver of your car, and you pay less car insurance. Not sure if that can work in your case, but if you needed that last bit of encouragement to bike to work... :D

Chris

mandasol
02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
I commute in Atlanta as well, and I just heard on NPR yesterday that Atlanta improved to 12th place from 10th place last year as the most traffic congested metro area. I'm guessing it's just that other cities got much worse, because it really doesn't seem like it's been improving here - still takes me 1 hour each way if the lights go my way and I get in the good lanes and there are no accidents.

I really should commute by bike, it's just there are no showers at my office.

rwsaunders
02-27-2009, 04:11 PM
I really should commute by bike, it's just there are no showers at my office.

I bet that your co-workers would chip in for some showers if you came to work after a long commute in that wonderfully warm and humid Georgia Summer. :cool: