PDA

View Full Version : Online wheelbuilders - recs?

fieldrecordings
02-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Anybody have an online wheelbuilder that they've used & could recommend?
Thanks!

Rob

Ken Robb
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
loads of info in the archives.

93legendti
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
I've used:
speeddream.com
jeremy@alchemy (forumite)

both are top notch.

ergott...I haven't used him, but he is a forumite and seems top notch. I think zank uses ergott.

echelon_john
02-26-2009, 08:42 PM
www.youngwheels.com

among the top handful of builders in the U.S., if not the best.

super nice guy; no ego; great to work with.

strongly recommend him.

john

rnhood
02-26-2009, 08:44 PM
I would recommend the Shimano DA 7850 24CL wheels. They are plenty light, plenty stiff, with excellent braking. I have ridden the h*ll out of a set for the past 5 months and, I can't imagine nicer wheels.

97CSI
02-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Dennis Tate at Cycle Sport in Media, PA built me a pair of wheels using all DT components on Hope hubs. Excellent results. dennis at hhracinggroup.com

Peter Chisolm at Vecchio's in Boulder, CO did similar work using DT components on Campy hubs. chisholm2744 at comcast.net

Have also never had a problem with many thousands of miles of on Mavic OP/DT spokes and Campy hubs built by Colorado Cyclist.

Sandy
02-27-2009, 07:02 AM
jeremy and ergott

Sandy

Bob Ross
02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
www.youngwheels.com

among the top handful of builders in the U.S., if not the best.

super nice guy; no ego; great to work with.

strongly recommend him.

+1
I only just put my new Joe Young-built wheels on the bike last week, so I don't have any data on their quality beyond a visual inspection & one 35 mile ride, but the experience of doing business with Joe was superb. Effortless, smooth, inspired confidence throught the process.

Peter at Vecchio's in Boulder, CO

I didn't know Peter was a wheelbuilder, but based on the content of his posts over at cyclingforums.com, I'd take a chance on him for practically anything. He consistantly offers some of the most well-reasoned, well-informed, well-articulated, & level-headed advice I've ever encountered on this here internetz.

Also check out Peter White in New Hampshire http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/
A real down-to-earth guy who's a pleasure to do business with. I've never tried his wheels, but a friend of mine has a pair that are to die for.

rsa
02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
http://www.oddsandendos.com/main.sc

Be forewarned...he is a talker, but a really nice guy that knows his stuff. He built me two racing wheelsets for road and I couldn't be more happier.

majl
02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Chad at Red Barn Bicycles in Montana. He built a MTB wheelset for me last year and they are great!

http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/home.html

rePhil
02-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Either Joe Young or Peter Chisholm

fieldrecordings
02-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Wow! A lot of good people to choose from. Thanks for the advice guys & gals.

Rob

DesertJack
02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=97CSI]Dennis at Cycle Sport in Media, PA built me a pair of wheels using all DT components on Hope hubs. Excellent results. dennis at hhracinggroup.com

Wow... now that name is a blast from the past. I used to frequent a bike shop in Sparta, NJ (circa early 90's maybe), and Dennis worked there and I had Harry Havnoonian measure me up for a lugged ti frame (which I still have and only recently replaced as my prime ride with a Serotta).

small world
cheers
Jack

bigman
02-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Ergott.

Eric gets it.

Mort
02-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I have had great experience with Dave Thomas at SpeedDream.com, whom I found through previous posts on the Serotta Forum. Great wheels. Plus, when I bent a front wheel, he repaired it for a ridiculously low price.

rbtmcardle
02-28-2009, 08:04 PM
+1 Ergott

I couldnt be happier, with his work and the value

dave thompson
02-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Another excellent wheelbuilder that's on this forum is wheels513, Frank Corda, who has built me two sets of excellent wheels. He's been building wheels for 30 years and owns his own Phil Wood spoke cutting/thread rolling machine. Plus he's a nice guy. wheels513@yahoo.com

trophyoftexas
02-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Period.

Lurch
02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I have had great experience with Dave Thomas at SpeedDream.com, whom I found through previous posts on the Serotta Forum. Great wheels. Plus, when I bent a front wheel, he repaired it for a ridiculously low price.

I can vouch for his MTB wheels, he's well known as one of the best. I love my set. Can't speak to his road wheels, although a wheel is a wheel?