PDA

View Full Version : whats a good threadless convertor

amator
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
for 1inch threaded fork.
Looking for something lightweight and tough.
Most Ive seen, you have to push the stem all the way to the top so as not to look weird.

This VO looks great buit if I dont put a spacer below, Id have a disparity between the stem and the adapter surface above the stem...
http://www.velo-orange.com/vothstad.html
Im hoping for something where I can lock down a 5mm or 10mm spacer at the top above the stem .

RPS
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
I’ve been using a Profile adaptor for a while which has functioned fine, but will be removing it this weekend when I install a threadless fork. There are many brands that look almost identical.

Most adaptors don’t have a shoulder like the VO you make reference to, so once installed in the steerer you can move the stem up to make it flush with the top before clamping it down. I think the overall appearance of the VO is far superior to the one I have, although in my opinion none will ever look right.

Even though my bike is very different, the mishmash created by the adaptor sticks out like a sore thumb. I didn’t help matters by mixing headset and stem colors (was planning ahead), but I’m sure it would look odd regardless.

Also, if you try to move the adaptor up like you would a regular quill the thing looks completely out of place. I ended up sliding the adaptor down and turning the stem in the “up” position as the lesser of two evils.

BTW: You didn’t ask, but I’ll add one note. When I first installed the adaptor with new threadless stem and new OS bars, I felt the bike’s front end was made slightly stiffer from a ride standpoint. The OS bars may account for some of this, but I’m fairly certain that the combination of adaptor and threadless stem is stiffer (in the wrong way) than a standard quill. Good luck.

eddief
02-27-2009, 10:25 AM
a nitto technomic or an upjutting salsa sul better. unfortunately nittos don't have removeable faceplates and salsas are currently dangerous.

i have asked VO to send me a photo of their contraption installed on a bike to see what it actually looks like. i also asked them if they sell a matched spacer to go under the stem.

RPS
02-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Amator, since I was going to turn the stem over anyway for the new fork, I took a picture of it with the quill adaptor raised to place the bars at approximately the same height. Hopefully that will give you some idea of what it will look like if used to raise the bars. I included an old picture of the original quill for reference to show that they look quite different.

If both the adaptor and stem were silver in finish they would probably look better.

NHAero
02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I recently bought this adapter on eBay:
item #370151832441
It's about 190g, extends about 3-1/2 inches above the min. insertion point, and has a nice taper from the portion that inserts into the fork steerer to the 1-1/8" portion the stem clamps to. I have a random black stem on there now and the contrast is obvious but I'll likely buy one of the silver Velo Orange road stems, like, not too dear at $35, and available in 6 or 17 degree rise.