PDA

View Full Version : Dear Serotta: Why would anyone buy a Fierte instead of a CDA?

fierte_poser
02-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Fierte: 2009 MSRP: Frame/Fork $2,130

CDA GS: Frame/Fork $2,289

Here's what the CDA has going for it compared to the Fierte:

1) Custom geometry
2) Custom tube selection
3) Carbon seat stays (not necessarily an advantage)
4) 8 color choices in 3 paint schemes available

All of that for $159? Sign me up!

But why the weird pricing structure? When I bought my Fierte in 2006, the frame was $1200, while a CDA was more like $1750. The pricing made sense. Not so much now.

KeithNYC
02-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Oh thanks a lot man. Now they'll just raise the price if the CDA so the structure makes sense.

:no: :)

Marcusaurelius
02-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Well I think there's a large price gap between the S3 fork that comes the Fierte and the F3 fork that comes with CDA. I think the S3 would simliar to the Kestrel EMS Pro that used to comes with the Fierte and the F3 comes with titanium race and dropouts.

Also I did notice to get the CDA with the all steel option (my personal choice) I would have to spend $3,063 for all steel frame and F3 fork.

I would guess an F3 fork is around $600-800 and S3 maybe $250.

KeithNYC
02-26-2009, 06:19 PM
You're talking about the CDA in SE trim. Which is a lot more expensive then a Fierte. The OP's point is there is a a very small price diff between CDA in GS trim and a Fierte where the Fierte is bone stock geo/ paint etc, and the CDA GS offers full custom geo/ tubes and 8 paint options. So why bother with a Fierte?

Smiley
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Fierte: 2009 MSRP: Frame/Fork $2,130

CDA GS: Frame/Fork $2,289

Here's what the CDA has going for it compared to the Fierte:

1) Custom geometry
2) Custom tube selection
3) Carbon seat stays (not necessarily an advantage)
4) 8 color choices in 3 paint schemes available

All of that for $159? Sign me up!

But why the weird pricing structure? When I bought my Fierte in 2006, the frame was $1200, while a CDA was more like $1750. The pricing made sense. Not so much now.
The forks are not the same, The CDA comes witha S3 fork and the Fierte with a Kestrel. Plus you have a few more options on the paint and don't forget the Tubes are not the same set

fierte_poser
02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
The forks are not the same, The CDA comes witha S3 fork and the Fierte with a Kestrel. Plus you have a few more options on the paint and don't forget the Tubes are not the same set

Not true according to the following webpage:

http://www.serotta.com/fierte_steel/index.html

"Updates for 2009 include an S3 Serotta Composites fork, hidden rack eyelets for touring or commuting, a steel rear stay and fresh new fiinish options."

fierte_poser
02-26-2009, 06:45 PM
You're talking about the CDA in SE trim. Which is a lot more expensive then a Fierte. The OP's point is there is a a very small price diff between CDA in GS trim and a Fierte where the Fierte is bone stock geo/ paint etc, and the CDA GS offers full custom geo/ tubes and 8 paint options. So why bother with a Fierte?

Correct. This is what I'm saying.

Although according to the finish options page, Simply White and Onyx are not available on a CDA, so there you go...the reason d'existance for the fierte.

Marcusaurelius
02-27-2009, 07:05 AM

Yes but the F3 fork is a high end fork and the S3 is an entry level fork. The price difference between these forks is significant. (S3 looks a lot like a Kestrel Ems Pro) and the F3 is a lot like a very advanced Reynolds Pro with titanium bits so add in the cost difference of the forks alone and you have a much larger price difference.

The other big difference is custom geometry, The Fierte has a compact frame design with a tall head tube which is aimed at recreational riders. The Fierte's head tube would never work for me because it's too long and I could never get the handlebars low enough.

I think the Fierte is good for a recreational rider who doesn't mind having the bars high but a serious bike is going to be disappointed.

Serotta_Dave
02-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Fierte Poser, Smiley, all forumites not in Indy. Good points and questions, here goes:

1) Smiley fire yourself:) Fierte's come with the S3 fork for 2009. One of the changes we made due to Serotta Composites coming onboard is to try wherever possible to get our product on our bikes. We believe the Serotta Composite forks improve the ride, handling, and feel of our frames.

2) Why buy a Fierte instead of a CDA? Great question. It really is why buy 'custom" versus "Ready Custom" from us or stock out of the box bike from XYZ manufacturing. Long answers available but cliff notes version is that the Fierte geo was developed by Ben from over 35 + years of building frames, fitting clients etc. It works for a lot of cyclists. It is NOT the geo that may work for you. Everyone is different but its a great baseline platform.

However a lot of cyclists don't want to wait for a custom bike, don't consider themselves "worthy" of a custom bike, don't understand totally the process. So the Fierte gets them on a great bike (Serotta) maybe one or two bikes ahead of them hopefully getting a custom frame.We have had many riders start with a Fierte then "move up" to a Legend, Ottrott, etc. over time

3) Pricing- We do two levels for all of our different material platforms (steel, ti, IT, carbon) Actually three now in ti with the addition of the Classique. GS models get S3 fork, typically non carbon rear ends in steel and ti, fewer finish options. SE bikes get F3 forks, ST rear ends for Legend and Ottrott, sky and wallet limited finish schemes, etc.

Hope that helps. Have a great weekend everyone, Smiley make sure you and Pete stay out of the brew pubs in Indy. Also Pete, Red is OK!

Dave Powers