PDA

View Full Version : Fitness bikes

wc1934
02-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Nasty winter weather was driving me crazy – joined a fitness club. Have been “working out” for about 50 minutes – hour on a Life Fitness stationary bike which records rpm’s distance, heart rate etc. Any idea how those numbers will translate into outdoor riding? Are the miles comparable – what about exertion, overall fitness etc.? Thanks

johnnymossville
02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Nasty winter weather was driving me crazy – joined a fitness club. Have been “working out” for about 50 minutes – hour on a Life Fitness stationary bike which records rpm’s distance, heart rate etc. Any idea how those numbers will translate into outdoor riding? Are the miles comparable – what about exertion, overall fitness etc.? Thanks

I used those exact bikes all last winter. I found the translation, miles/exertion/overall fitness as you say pretty good. It took a couple weeks of riding outdoors after all that to hang with the big dogs on my Thursday Night Group Hammerfest.

Along with the bike, I was also rowing for 30 minutes and doing the elliptical for an additional 30 a few times a week.

I think you'll be surprised your road fitness when you finally get outside.

deechee
02-25-2009, 09:22 PM
hmm. Our gym recently got some Cycle-Ops 300PTs and it says I'm doing 40km/h @ 160 watts. hahaha. Suuuuuuure...