PDA

View Full Version : Tour/Bike Stage Racing question #2 Lance/Levi

eddief
02-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I'll stop after this one I can almost promise.

So did Lance just agree to support Levi to win the TOC and then is Levi just casually agreeing to support Lance to win the TDF? Did Astana, as a team, analyze all their conditioning and know Lance was not ready yet?

And oh by the way, why doesn't VS talk more about all the other guys on the team making it happen for Levi? Interesting, weird sport.

Ray
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I'll stop after this one I can almost promise.

So did Lance just agree to support Levi to win the TOC and then is Levi just casually agreeing to support Lance to win the TDF? Did Astana, as a team, analyze all their conditioning and know Lance was not ready yet?

And oh by the way, why doesn't VS talk more about all the other guys on the team making it happen for Levi? Interesting, weird sport.
Levi was clearly the team leader for the TOC and Lance clearly agreed to work for him. Good on him - lots of folks wondered if he would be able to ride in a secondary role when it came down to it. Levi will clearly be a support rider in the Tour, either to Lance or Contador. Lance has said that he'll ride for Contador too, IF he's clearly the stronger rider at tour time. A big IF, particularly in Lance's mind I'd bet, and a statement with all of the wiggle room in the world. When Contador won, Levi started off as the leader but rode for Contador when it was clear Alberto was the stronger rider. But he stayed close enough to still have a shot in the TT (I think Levi rode for Heras in the Vuelta one year, but took so much time in the final TT that he ended up beating him - not sure if I remember this right). The only thing clear about this year is that Lance and Contador will probably both be protected in the early stages of the tour and one will start really riding for the other only after one proves stronger. And Levi will be riding in support of whoever that is and will become the leader only if BOTH of those guys falter.

The only thing for sure about these agreements is they're not "casual".

-Ray

victoryfactory
02-25-2009, 11:14 AM
1.Yes, IMO
2.Yes, IMO
and
3.With Phil and Paul, you get what you get. They are refreshingly free, it seems
from some corporate talking points meeting before each stage. Possibly
because they are icons.
We are left to fill in the blanks ourselves.
For me, it's just part of the deal and nothing to get hung about*
BTW, they did mention several times how extraordinary it was that Astana
finished with their full team.

VF

*Strawberry Fields Forever

bzbvh5
02-25-2009, 11:17 AM

Because the average American only cares or knows about Lance. When he was riding the Tour of Georgia, with all the pro teams there, people only wanted Lance's autograph or to see Lance. The rest were just extras in the one man show.

paczki
02-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Levi was clearly the team leader for the TOC and Lance clearly agreed to work for him. Good on him - lots of folks wondered if he would be able to ride in a secondary role when it came down to it.

Why would anyone wonder that? He rode for Danielson at the TdG!

Lurch
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
With this being the 100th anniversary of the Giro, and Lance stating in an interview that his friend was the race organizer, makes toy wonder which Grand Tour he'll target primarilly to win.

All the soap opera material with Contadore will give versus material for the entire season.

Ray
02-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Good point, you're right. I guess he's been willing to work in early season races that he uses as training. I seem to remember him pulling for George at Flanders one year too. I think the questioning I've seen is more about whether he'll be able to force himself to work for Contador in the Tour if Contador seems stronger. The Tour is the big show and Lance's great stage. Given Lance's ownership stake in the team, I'd bet Contador will have to be a LOT stronger before Johan will make the call for everyone to move their support in that direction. Should be fun to watch, in any case.

-Ray

bigdeal
02-25-2009, 03:18 PM
either way I can easily imagine 2 Astana riders on the final podium in Paris.

93legendti
02-25-2009, 03:34 PM
And Tyler in the 2000 Dauphne, Vaughters in the 1999 Dauphne and a few others that my wicked sinus headache prevents me from conjuring up.

93legendti
02-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Good point, you're right. I guess he's been willing to work in early season races that he uses as training. I seem to remember him pulling for George at Flanders one year too. I think the questioning I've seen is more about whether he'll be able to force himself to work for Contador in the Tour if Contador seems stronger. The Tour is the big show and Lance's great stage. Given Lance's ownership stake in the team, I'd bet Contador will have to be a LOT stronger before Johan will make the call for everyone to move their support in that direction. Should be fun to watch, in any case.

-Ray
I'd love to see Lance and Alberto pull away and duke it out on a mountain top finish. I always wanted to see Pantani and Lance duel, but Pantani was always out of contention at the points where they could have dueled and it would have made a differenece on GC.

paczki
02-25-2009, 04:23 PM
I'd love to see Lance and Alberto pull away and duke it out on a mountain top finish. I always wanted to see Pantani and Lance duel, but Pantani was always out of contention at the points where they could have dueled and it would have made a differenece on GC.

It'll be like LeMond and Hinault again. Can't wait. But they have to be careful, someone else can swoop in, especially if the team is confused.

93legendti
02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
It'll be like LeMond and Hinault again. Can't wait. But they have to be careful, someone else can swoop in, especially if the team is confused.
swoop?!?
swoop?!?!?!
SWOOP?!?!?!?

Geez if he wins, we'll never hear the end of it. :)

harlond
02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
And Tyler in the 2000 Dauphne, Vaughters in the 1999 Dauphne and a few others that my wicked sinus headache prevents me from conjuring up.He even led out the sprint for Max von Heejswik (sp?) in the TdF one time--Max won that stage. There might have been some exceptions in his early days, but LA is a pretty good teammate. He does have pretty high expectations for his leader when he pulls domestique duties.

Elefantino
02-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't think anyone wonders about Contador anymore. He is Lance, circa 2001. Whatever he enters with the goal of winning, he will win. And he will enter both the Tour and Vuelta with the goal of winning.

It would be great if Lance won or was competitive in the Giro. But competitive with Contador? Now? Not so much.

BTW, he looked old, really old, in Santa Rosa. But then, after riding a century in 47 degree rain, anyone would.

rustychisel
02-25-2009, 05:47 PM
BTW, he looked old, really old, in Santa Rosa. But then, after riding a century in 47 degree rain, anyone would.

I'm not sure he has what it takes to neutralise Contador, but I'm not counting him out.

Incidentally, this raises another point... looked old, as in haggard, tired out? That happens in a tough stage race, I understand, I've seen it before. Not like some riders who step off the bike still looking fresh as a daisy. Draw your own conclusions.

Elefantino
02-25-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure he has what it takes to neutralise Contador, but I'm not counting him out.

Incidentally, this raises another point... looked old, as in haggard, tired out? That happens in a tough stage race, I understand, I've seen it before. Not like some riders who step off the bike still looking fresh as a daisy. Draw your own conclusions.
My $0.02, adjusted for deflation:

Old, as haggard. To be expected, though. Time off, age, etc.

giordana93
02-25-2009, 07:31 PM

well looking old, yeah, sort of, but I think part of it is where his body fat looks right now: low, so he just looks gaunt. but put a july tan on him and I think he's looking pretty mean. which doesn't necessarily translate into fast, but I wouldn't be counting him out

tylercheung
02-25-2009, 08:36 PM
they all better watch out, Tiger Woods is coming for them!!!