PDA

View Full Version : AR Leather Wrap Site is up !

Ahneida Ride
02-24-2009, 04:44 PM
The site is here. (http://www.handlebra.com)

The e-commerce component is still under development.
Please hang in there.

I am heading out to NAHBS as Mr. Kelly Bedford's assistant. I'll get
the e-commerce page functional asap after I get back. ;)

I thank all those who have patiently endured the "strip tease".

My Best ...

Pete Serotta
02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Looks good..What is the price? and how much for shipping?

Louis
02-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Best of luck, Ray.

thwart
02-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Oooh... sexy.

I want some. ;) :D

Blue Jays
02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Sweet! Keeping fingers crossed that black & white will be two of the leather color choices.
Best wishes for success once the e-commerce functionality is launched. :beer:

Ahneida Ride
02-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Looks good..What is the price? and how much for shipping?

Good question Pete .... 60 frn + shipping ...

mschol17
02-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Looks great AR.

I'd recommend a gallery photo with all the possible colors labeled.

Satellite
02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Ahneida Ride,

Do Serotta fourmites get a discount (free shipping or something)? I would like the Blackest Black you got; or perhaps something that would match a Moots Ti satin finish.

Satellite

BTW Congrats I have been patiently waiting.

William
02-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Orange on the Effin Cross Bike coming soon.

Look'n Good buddy!

William

Dekonick
02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
In all honesty, AR is not making a ton of cash on this. It is a labor of love more than a business venture. I am sure he will make money, but not certain how much of a deal he can swing and make any profit.

This is what I know from talking to him (on the phone as well as via the internet) over the last 2 years while he has developed this fantastic product -

I can't speak for him, but I don't think he has a ton of wiggle room.

Dek

Ozz
02-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Cool....

p.s. - check the typo on "Care and Feeding of the Wrap":

"A big tube is about 15 fnrs (fed reserve non notes). "

Should this be FRNs??

Good luck!

:beer:

William
02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
It's a deal for the price including shipping. Lesser quality wraps cost more. He's coming in at a price that won't make him oodles of money, but the buyer is getting a great product and a great deal.

Labor of love for sure! :beer:

William

giordana93
02-24-2009, 05:58 PM
it already is discounted: it's considerably cheaper than most list prices for the brooks wrap, and you can get it in several more colors than brooks...
does serotta give discounts to forum members? not trying to be too flip, but this is a start-up business with start up costs. ask to save $5 after he's up and running, has paid all the bills for getting off the ground. the price sounds right to me, and I'm a cheap-skate.

Viper
02-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Congratulations! It is awesome and encouraging to see a new business created during such a bleak moment in our economy. Can we pay you in gold instead of FRN's? :beer:

maunahaole
02-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Satellite: The navy blue is very dark. It would probably be more appropriately described as an indigo.

Satellite
02-24-2009, 07:22 PM
I was only half joking but I work hard for my money too. I have to discount my products to make sales too its a fact of life and economy. Now is a very tough time to be doing a start up company and I truely wish all the best of luck.

I am very interested in purchasing Black but it has to be Black/Black no goofy faded Black. I have been patiently waiting for this venture to get off the ground and I mean no disrepect to Ahneida Ride.

WadePatton
02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
I hope to find a color I like at the show...

William
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I hope to find a color I like at the show...

You better find him early. ;)

William

Bruce K
02-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Unless there is a blue darker than the one I have, I wouldn't call it "navy".

Obenauf went on last night, heated and hanging. Round 2 tomorrow night and then wqrapping on Friday.

Pictures to follow.....

BK

William
02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I think "M" hit it. I've got it on my SS and I would call it more of an indigo.

William

Ablaut
02-24-2009, 08:20 PM
I have only heard great things about this wrap... but besides the wrap itself, I have to say the website looks neat and elegant, too!

Ahneida Ride
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I think "M" hit it. I've got it on my SS and I would call it more of an indigo.
William

The Prototype was a navy blue which became indigo after Obenauf LP.

The Lighter "Bleu Bruce", is lighter and retains it's color better after
an Obenauf treatment. Bleu Bruce is on Dave T. bike.

OldDog
02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
When is the male version, HandleBro, coming out?

:rolleyes:

maunahaole
02-25-2009, 03:24 PM
When is the male version, HandleBro, coming out?

:rolleyes:

It's handlessiere.

maximus
02-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Once you get the e-commerce up - count me in on white wraps :beer:

On second thought...did you do white wraps???

fierte_poser
02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
All I know is that it was weird to have a co-worker come into my cube while I was on a webpage with:

HandleBra

so prominently displayed.

maximus
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
I guess he is just saying they are ummm...supple...to the touch :p

Volant
02-25-2009, 04:17 PM
No, it's because the wrap comes in pairs. :D

Frankwurst
02-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Good things come to those who wait. The wait appears as though it's been well worth while! :beer:

dave thompson
02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
HandleBra

Hence the slogan "Wait 'till you put your hands on this!"

Bruce K
02-28-2009, 08:31 PM
This is the Cobalt Blue version wrapped onto the Modolo Curvissima bars on my Meivici.

BK

rdparadise
02-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Ray:

Thanks for your labor of love. I saw the prototype at Dbrk's last summer. I want some red for my Legend. I'll put it over my existing red crap tape and see how it feels.

Thanks for the tips regarding feeding and care as well.

Can't wait for the self check out to start working. Get back to me when it's up after the show.

Good luck with the venture and congratulations on bringing this to market. :banana:

Bob

mikki
03-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Ray,

No one deserves success more than you do!!!! Congrats...

scottcw2
03-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Very cool. Orange, White or Brown (oh, my!) might be just the ticket for my molteni orange fixie...

SpeedyChix
03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Missed getting to talk to him at the show. Saw a couple bikes with what was THE wrap. Had hoped to see the color swatches live but will patiently now wait for the ecommerce part of the site to go live.

Well done on the wrap!

-anne

WadePatton
03-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I thought I'd get to see some wrap at the show. I asked around. And now it seems that we dined "together". See you next year maybe.

Oh, I'm sure I saw some, but didn't know it when I did.

dekindy
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
At NAHBS I saw this tape wrapped on bars. Ray is not exaggerating one bit when he says that "The edges of the wrap will eventually tend to "melt" into one another for a "liquid leather" feel and appearance". I really liked the stitched tape option also. After feeling tape treated with Obenauf Paste and Obenauf Oil, I am not sure which option I would pick. The difference is subtle but is noticeable.

Ray - three comments

1. There are no stitched versions of the tape on the website. You may intend to include that and just did not have samples at the time the website was developed.

2. The color samples at the bottom of the website have only 7? colors repeating and you have 15 total. Again, You may intend to include that and just did not have samples at the time the website was developed.

3. You also don't mention the oil treatment instead of paste option.

Great website and product. Since I am working on a financial services website with my partners I understand it is a process. Your first website version is very professional and a fantastic tool for selling your product.

maunahaole
03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
At NAHBS I saw this tape wrapped on bars. Ray is not exaggerating one bit when he says that "The edges of the wrap will eventually tend to "melt" into one another for a "liquid leather" feel and appearance". I really liked the stitched tape option also. After feeling tape treated with Obenauf Paste and Obenauf Oil, I am not sure which option I would pick. The difference is subtle but is noticeable.

Ray - three comments

1. There are no stitched versions of the tape on the website. You may intend to include that and just did not have samples at the time the website was developed.

2. The color samples at the bottom of the website have only 7? colors repeating and you have 15 total. Again, You may intend to include that and just did not have samples at the time the website was developed.

3. You also don't mention the oil treatment instead of paste option.

Great website and product. Since I am working on a financial services website with my partners I understand it is a process. Your first website version is very professional and a fantastic tool for selling your product.

Ray can probably address this better, but based on my conversations with him, the stitched tape is currently a prototype. Also, the Obenauf oil is used after the obenauf LP. It is a finishing treatment. The LP is the main conditioner and treatment. Cant tell you about the colors shown on the site. Ray is busting a nut getting this up and running though, so I feel pretty confident that it will come together.

dekindy
03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Ray can probably address this better, but based on my conversations with him, the stitched tape is currently a prototype. Also, the Obenauf oil is used after the obenauf LP. It is a finishing treatment. The LP is the main conditioner and treatment. Cant tell you about the colors shown on the site. Ray is busting a nut getting this up and running though, so I feel pretty confident that it will come together.

Thanks for the clarification on the Obenauf. I have not used it before so that is good to know. My current tape is in perfect condition but I think will be getting me some of this the next time I need tape.

Dekonick
03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
My Hors has perfect cork tape too - guess what? No better time or place than to try AR DOUBLE WRAP!

maunahaole
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I wrapped over cork. It has a great feel.

William
03-04-2009, 06:07 AM
Blasphemous I know, but I wrapped current AR over earlier AR wrap on my SS and it’s ~SoOoOoOoooo~ luxurious! :D

My cross bike is Orange wrap over athletic tape.

I’m very much looking forward to Orange with black stitching. :cool:

William

dekindy
03-04-2009, 07:09 AM
How would it be wrapped over Fizik tape with gel pads underneath? Too much bulk?

gutefahrt
03-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Blasphemous I know, but I wrapped current AR over earlier AR wrap on my SS and it’s ~SoOoOoOoooo~ luxurious! :D
William

I just want one roll and you've got two.

97CSI
03-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Received mine last week. A nice orange that will look great contrasted against the dark metallic blue of my new ride. Plan is to wrap over a single layer of Cinelli cork tape for some additional padding. It is sooooooooo soft.

Blue Jays
03-04-2009, 08:57 AM
What is the "latest list" on available colors? What are the stitching options?

dekindy
03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
When I talked with Ray at the NAHBS he indicated there were 15 colors that would come in stitched or plain for a total of 30 options. Sorry, I don't know all the colors.

Ahneida Ride
03-04-2009, 09:39 AM
About 40 colors are available. I've made wrap in about 10 of them ...

about 15 - 20 colors would cover most of the color spectrum.

I can custom make and deliver whatever you want, but this could
take 2-6 weeks. Right now, stocking everything would be very expensive.
It's all handmade.

Is this acceptable for a custom product? The more predictable colors
I can stock with a shorter delivery time.

The corded version is surely custom, but you get to choose leather and
cord (stitching down the middle) color. There would be an up-charge
for the stitching.

Want black leather with white cord? Baby blue leather with white cord?
Plum leather with pink cord ? Orange wrap with black cord?

The corded version is about 2 months away. It needs a bit more testing.

I am working on the e-commerce aspect. Please hang in there ... ;)

Blue Jays
03-04-2009, 10:25 AM
That's good news, AR!
Can't wait to see as availability increases more and more.
Keep up the great work with your new product. :beer:

gutefahrt
03-04-2009, 03:39 PM
OK, too cool. So I can send my saddle and you can match the color? :beer:

ksroadie
03-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Just wrapped my bars with the Handlebra Fine Cigar. Great feel and grip, makes me want to chuck the gloves. Incredibly strong stuff and easy to work with. Getting a smooth tight job was no problem. Followed AR's recommendation and used a cork underlayment and followed up with a few coats of Obenauf LP. Finally found the perfect bar wrap. Congrats Ray on making a great product!

Louis
03-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Just wrapped my bars with the Handlebra Fine Cigar.

ks,

Other than the insignificant detail that we wrap in opposite directions, that is one very fine looking wrap job. Looks awesome.

Louis

ksroadie
03-05-2009, 01:06 AM
ks,

Other than the insignificant detail that we wrap in opposite directions, that is one very fine looking wrap job. Looks awesome.

Louis

Thanks. Handlebra really is awesome stuff.

William
03-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Another Handlebra satisfied customer. :cool: :beer:

William

dekindy
03-05-2009, 06:58 AM
ks,

Louis

That was the one question that I had on AR's instructions. If I remember correctly Park Tools site tape wrapping illustration shows the tape being wrapped outward and indicated that most riders roll their hands outward instead of inward. Why the differences in philosophy?

Ahneida Ride
03-05-2009, 09:45 AM
That was the one question that I had on AR's instructions. If I remember correctly Park Tools site tape wrapping illustration shows the tape being wrapped outward and indicated that most riders roll their hands outward instead of inward. Why the differences in philosophy?

The logic is that the rider (with hands in the drops) will tend to rotate
hands inward when standing (rising outa the saddle). This motion will
tighten the wrap if one wraps over the top towards the bike.

This insight was provided by Brian Smith at Serotta.

William
03-05-2009, 09:46 AM
:cool:

dekindy
03-05-2009, 01:21 PM
The logic is that the rider (with hands in the drops) will tend to rotate
hands inward when standing (rising outa the saddle). This motion will
tighten the wrap if one wraps over the top towards the bike.

This insight was provided by Brian Smith at Serotta.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=71

You are right. My bad. That is what I get from going by memory.

Park Tools instructions say to wrap the bar tape in the same direction that you recommend. The reason is that especially on the tops of the bars riders tend to roll their hands inward. Good job.

93legendti
03-05-2009, 01:25 PM
How much does a roll of the AR wrap weigh?
Does it hold moisture?