PDA

View Full Version : DZ's house burglarized during ToC

KJMUNC
02-24-2009, 03:55 PM
This really sucks for him....I gotta believe they will recover most of this stuff since it's so unique. Whoever did this got a lot of gear.....

clipped from VN:

While the Web-based cycling community was all a-Twitter over the recent theft and return of Lance Armstrong's time trial bike, another cyclist has suffered a bigger loss of personal property, but did not discover it until he returned from the recent Amgen Tour of California.

Salt Lake City Police have issued an appeal for the public's help in recovering items stolen in a burglary at the home of Garmin-Slipstream’s David Zabriskie.

According to police, the break-in occurred while Zabriskie was in California for the recent Amgen Tour.

Police also issued a partial list of items stolen and asked for help in their recovery, particularly if any turn up in local pawnshops or on eBay.

Among those items stolen from Zabriskie’s home are:
• Black 2008 Subaru Outback, Utah plate A189NC
• Black 2006 Toyota Scion, Utah plate 094VWM
• Giro D Italia Race Medal (approx. 6" circumference)
• Olympic Seiko watch
• Beijing Olympic ring (silver) with initials "DZ" engraved ($4,000)
• Olympic Time Trial Bike, plus 12 other bikes (combined value of $100,000)
• Cervelo (black/red) bike frame - team issued ($5000)
• Tag Heuer watch ($6,000)
• Bose Speaker/Receiver System ($15,000)
• Sony 52" flat screen TV ($4,000)
• Two Mac Books and one Mac desktop, plus hard drive ($8,000)
• A pair of Space legs, a recovery compression system for legs ($5,000)
• 7 Marvel sideshow statues ($11,000)

93legendti
02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
What are the chances it was a cyclist who knew DZ would not be home because he was racing?

BumbleBeeDave
02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
What are the chances it was a cyclist who knew DZ would not be home because he was racing?

This is an effing shame. I hope they catch the perp . . .

BBD

fierte_poser
02-24-2009, 04:11 PM
That Bose crap is really overpriced.

William
02-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Hiring security for every race while your away is going to get real expensive. Part of contract negotiations in the future?

William

Viper
02-24-2009, 04:33 PM
See, see, I'm not the only one:

7 Marvel sideshow statues ($11,000)

http://the-great-humongous.blogspot.com/2008/10/mustache-talk-dave-z.html

http://www.collectoybles.com.au/catalog/images/marvel_diamond_spiderman_unmask_statue.jpg

Dave Z rode really well at ToC. If he can stay healthy he can make 2009 a fun year to watch. I'm sure he has insurance, he'll be okay. Any man that can pull off the mustache will be fine in the end.

:beer:

uno-speedo
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Maybe that guy (thief) from Austin moved to Utah.

rustychisel
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM
No such word. Try 'burgled'. You're welcome.

Elefantino
02-24-2009, 05:15 PM
By JENNIFER DOBNER
Associated Press
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City police said Tuesday that thieves who ransacked the home of David Zabriskie stole thousands of dollars in bikes and Olympic memorabilia from the world-class cyclist.
Zabriskie's loss is estimated at just under $160,000, although not all of the 21 stolen items on a list made public by police have been assessed a value.
"It's huge," police spokeswoman Robin Snyder said.
Zabriskie's mother, Sheree Hammick, discovered the theft Monday, Snyder said.
Zabriskie has been away since Feb. 13 participating in the Tour of California. Zabriskie finished second behind Levi Leipheimer in the race.
Hammick said she regularly checks on her son's home when he and his family are out of town.
On Monday, Hammick said she struggled to open the garage door, but once inside found both cars gone and "stuff just thrown everywhere."
"You just get that sick feeling in your stomach. I wanted to throw up," she told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "It's really unsettling."
Hammick said no room in the normally "immaculate" home was untouched. She said so much was taken that she believes it's possible that those responsible were in the house for more than one day.
"It's really, really tough," she said. "A lot of the things they took are irreplaceable. The list is just endless."
Among those items are a watch and ring from the Beijing Olympics, Zabriskie's Olympic time trials bike, other race medals and racing team-issued bikes and equipment that can be purchased commercially, Hammick said.
Also taken were both of Zabriskie's cars, clothing, electronic equipment and computers, along with a set of Marvel sideshow figures depicting characters from the movies "Hellboy," "Alien," "Ironman" and others. Snyder said the distinctive figures are 2 or 3 feet high and very heavy.
Neighbors told Hammick and police that they had seen the house lights on late one night, but no one called police.
Snyder says police will be watching pawn shops and e-Bay for anyone trying to sell the goods. Police are hopeful that the unique nature of some of the items will make them easier to find.
Zabriskie shared news of the theft with racing fans on his Web site Tuesday. In a message sent via Twitter, he said the thieves took everything.
"You name it, they got it," he wrote. "If anyone out there sees anything you think might be mine, let me know."

daker13
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
$15,000 for a Bose speaker/receiver system? He could get a better stereo for a grand.

csm
02-24-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm betting a 0 was added on the bose stuff.

Keith A
02-25-2009, 03:12 PM
This really stinks! I'm guessing the thieves knew who they were targeting and that he would be away for a while.

pjm
02-25-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm betting a 0 was added on the bose stuff.
And even then it would be 10X more than its worth. :rolleyes:

97CSI
02-25-2009, 03:40 PM
$15,000 for a Bose speaker/receiver system? He could get a better stereo for a grand.If he is willing to buy used try $500.

tylercheung
02-25-2009, 07:13 PM
noooo!! not the Alien and Hellboy action figures!

Samster
02-25-2009, 09:44 PM
i'm all for the death penalty on this one. eff' em.

amator
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
would be good to know what the 12 bikes are and the size. Everyone can keep a look out if they're special bikes. :cool:

runtimmyc
02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4/links_numbers/story/Cyclists-stolen-car-located-by-police-man-arrested/qEfhzUC-mkGnC9jzSUE__g.cspx

looks like they found one of the cars

Keith A
02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I wonder if this is Bob's nephew :D
"30-year-old Arthur Roll was booked on possession of a stolen vehicle,"