PDA

View Full Version : OT: I got an Idea....

ti_boi
02-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Either have a Forum or Don't....but I am getting sick of thread locking.... :beer:

93legendti
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Either have a Forum or Don't....but I am getting sick of thread locking.... :beer:
I agree.

William
02-24-2009, 04:00 PM
http://www.danceclassics.net/images/Large/Al%20McCall.jpg

ti_boi
02-24-2009, 04:02 PM
I guess I could have made this a poll but I am sick of those as well.

Two things...we are all grown ups here...at least in terms of age and most can handle a little mature discussion and even....*Heavens*...disagreement.

And If you cannot handle it....grow a pair and step up to the real world.... :bike:

BTW...I 'like' this place. But can always live without it.

SamIAm
02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
The locking does seem to have gotten out of hand. Did Roy Bean, I mean BBD wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

93legendti
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
http://www.danceclassics.net/images/Large/Al%20McCall.jpg
"Lock it up"
"You lock it up"

Wedding Crashers.

Ti Designs
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
...we are all grown ups here...

Are not!!!

dancinkozmo
02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
its a bike forum...if people want to talk about politics etc. maybe post somewhere else. We're bombarded with it 24/7 on the news etc. Its a nice break to come here and read/think about cycling and forget about all the B.S. going on in the real world for a few minutes a day.

WadePatton
02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
its a bike forum...if people want to talk about politics etc. maybe post somewhere else. We're bombarded with it 24/7 on the news etc. Its a nice break to come here and read/think about cycling and forget about all the B.S. going on in the real world for a few minutes a day.
F*&^$%^$%^^&**(&*&^%$#@!@#$%K YEAH!

Some of us consciously avoid "news" crap all day long. And come places like here...

William
02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Where is he?? I know he's coming....

http://www.akrondesign.com/Animal&Fruit/Anim&FruitResources/BlueJay.jpg

:D

William

Ti Designs
02-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Its a nice break to come here and read/think about cycling and forget about all the B.S. going on in the real world for a few minutes a day.

Uh, most of the posts are about bicycles, not cycling...

D_L_Huns
02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Look back at when the caca usually hits the fan here. I'm betting mostly late Feb-early April. Winter sux...folks are grumpy. I'm thinking that esplains a lot of it, Lucy.

Don

ti_boi
02-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey come on now....I like to bike too...but I guarantee you that if we went on a long ride....and all we could talk about was bikes....it'd be the last ride we took together..... :beer:

majl
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM
its a bike forum...if people want to talk about politics etc. maybe post somewhere else.
Why not create a "Lounge" or "Off-Topic" forum for general discussion not related to cycling?

Tom
02-24-2009, 05:39 PM
People talk politics here because if they talked politics where people were researched and had a background they'd quickly find themselves overmatched.

Steevo
02-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Look back at when the caca usually hits the fan here. I'm betting mostly late Feb-early April. Winter sux...folks are grumpy. I'm thinking that esplains a lot of it, Lucy.

Don

This is so true. Every year at this time, this place gets a bit "moody".

William
02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
This is so true. Every year at this time, this place gets a bit "moody".

It's "that" time of the year.

William ;)

WadePatton
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Why not create a "Lounge" or "Off-Topic" forum for general discussion not related to cycling?
We've asked for that many times, but the powers that be don't care to do such.

So here we are again...

William
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM
We've asked for that many times, but the powers that be don't care to do such.

So here we are again...

It was done in the past and it bombed. So it went back to the way it was..the way it is.

It's real simple: If you don't like it or it doesn't interest you, don't open it and read it. You can control what you look at. :)

William

Lifelover
02-24-2009, 06:09 PM
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone cares if threads get locked, edited or whatever.

Trust me when I say that no one cares enough about what you or I have to say for it to matter.

It's just the internet!

Come on Mods, step up and shut this one down too! :banana: :banana:

giordana93
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
here's an idea. since the bike fit area is SO dead most of the time, why not secretly have political threads there? all the liberals will be the french fit defenders, conservatives take the competitive fit, and moderates or everyone else take the eddy fit.
seat set back will be a code word for, I don't know, help me out here guys....here are a few more

your saddle's too high=
saddle's too low=
too much saddle to bar drop=
jerk approved stem....
I have numb nuts....

how about some humor, eh?

now where can we put the I love/hate Lance threads?

WadePatton
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
It was done in the past and it bombed. So it went back to the way it was..the way it is.

It's real simple: If you don't like it or it doesn't interest you, don't open it and read it. You can control what you look at. :)

William
Cool, I missed that.

And I do appreciate the job that mods have to do. The have "calls" to make. Thanks yall.

wp

Ray
02-24-2009, 06:36 PM
People talk politics here because if they talked politics where people were researched and had a background they'd quickly find themselves overmatched.
Actually, I think most of us talk politics here because its a place where we know people with a common interest. When you go to a political forum, depending on the forum, it usually either turns into a flame-fest or an echo chamber where everyone agrees. Talking politics here is like talking politics over lunch with co-workers from our non-political jobs. In a democracy, politics isn't supposed to just be about people who "were researched and had a background".

That said, I used to take pride in maintaining my civility in these discussions but have found that more and more difficult lately and failed pretty badly at it a week or two ago. So I'm out, at least for awhile. I think the mods are doing what they've always done, let 'em run as long as they're not too nasty and then shut 'em down if they are. I don't have a problem with any of it.

-Ray

johnnymossville
02-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I may not see things the way many here do, heck, even among my own family, but I'd be happy to ride with every one of you and stop for a beer, coffee or tea if the opportunity presents itself some day.

csm
02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
how about if you don't want to read o.t. subjects then don't click on the threads that are obviously not cycling related. but be careful about this one or it will get......

Tobias
02-24-2009, 08:15 PM
I think the mods are doing what they've always done, let 'em run as long as they're not too nasty and then shut 'em down if they are. I don't have a problem with any of it.

-RayWhat I noticed as different this time around was that two threads were closed after only 12 posts in what seemed like “preemptive” moves. I’m 100 percent OK with it – after all it’s not my forum.

Having said that; I can understand Serotta not wanting valuable space taken from the forum, but in reality is it not better to concentrate all “inappropriate” OT discussion in one thread rather than close it to have two or three more pop up?

I would think that if left open it will be easier for those who want to tune out to avoid it. Isn’t avoiding one long thread easier than four short ones? In a backward way allowing an occasional thread to run amock may actually be a great way to discourage despicable posting. Once the posters see that the opposition is no longer engaged, they will give up sooner.

In time everyone interested in this subject matter will realize that keeping it civil is the only way to get people to listen to them.

rustychisel
02-24-2009, 09:19 PM
In time everyone interested in this subject matter will realize that keeping it civil is the only way to get people to listen to them.

Aha-ha. I was with you up to that point.

rounder
02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't have a proroblem with anything that goes on here. I know that this is a bike site and that most of the discussions have to do with that. I have learned lots from all of the discussions, including those that have nothing to do with bikes. The ones that get involved with such things as political topics (especially those that get involved with political topics) obviously attract passionate responses and often get locked. I don't have a problem with that. Sure...someone gets snubbed. But up until that point, eryone got to say what they wanted. I like the fact that, basically, everyone here likes bikes and gets along fine.

Ray
02-25-2009, 05:18 AM
I would think that if left open it will be easier for those who want to tune out to avoid it. Isn’t avoiding one long thread easier than four short ones? In a backward way allowing an occasional thread to run amock may actually be a great way to discourage despicable posting. Once the posters see that the opposition is no longer engaged, they will give up sooner.

That's a good point about letting the longer threads run. Although I'm not sure about your point that "once the posters see that the opposition is no longer engaged, they will give up sooner". My observation is that a thread will start with some pretty civil back and forth, then a few people will get a little bit snarky, and at some point, one side drops out altogether for a bit and the other side goes on a rampage. I notice this more when its those with a conservative bent going on a rampage, but I don't doubt that those of us on the "other" side do it to - I probably wouldn't be as sensitive to that. But once that goes on a while, with almost no input from the other side, SOMEONE can't take it anymore (I've been guilty of this myself) and launches a pent up response and then the whole damn thing starts up again, usually with the heat turned up a notch or three. And that's when things have the greatest potential to go off the rails. Although, to our credit, I've seen threads where we go through two or three of these cycles before all hell breaks loose.

This is just observation and I could obviously have it wrong. I'm personally staying out of the pro or anti Obama discussions, at least for a while (I hope a LONG while), but will keep my radar on for threads that deal with issues. When they actually start figuring out the details of the next stage of how they're gonna deal with the banks, I'll be interested in reactions and the discussion of that. I can't assess the details of that stuff myself, but I've learned a fair bit from the back and forth on those topics.

-Ray

flickwet
02-25-2009, 09:55 AM
For the loss of reason. Cabin fever, seasonal frustration, many of us are proud of riding the trainer or the rollers or even bone chillers outside but subconsiously what we NEED is some sun, some warmth, and some speed.

flickwet
02-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm not even gonna peak at the "OT: Obama speaks" thread, see that was easy.

johnnymossville
02-25-2009, 10:02 AM
No matter how long or hard I ride on the trainer I always feel like it's wasted time. The slow ride to work this morning was more productive.