PDA

View Full Version : New/used Legend arrived

Ken Robb
12-07-2004, 07:13 PM
It is all but impossible to tell it is not brand new! All high-zoot components in perfect shape. The 10 speed Dura Ace is great but it came from the flats of Long Island with 11-21 or 23 cogs and I will need to at least get a 12-27 and maybe a 50-34 crank to ride our San Diego hills. It has my first set of 180mm cranks which seem to help mash gears a bit. I'm delighted to say it seems to be stock geometry 60x58.5 with 41.5 chainstays and it fits me fine.There is a bit more lateral flex in the fork or wheels than on our CSi which has 32 hole Open Pros on Chorus hubs and F1 fork. The Legend has the scalloped Ksyriums and the O2 fork. They are both great rides. I may sell the Waterford RS11 and keep this one.

pale scotsman
12-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Ah yes, the deal of the year wasn't too good to be true. Great looking bike!

Ken Robb
12-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Och, aye, Laddie! She's a beauty.

Bill Bove
12-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Holy crap!!! Is that pink tape? Wow, props to anybody who would do a pink and green bike, all pink of course would be better but we gotta get the pink in where we can :)

Pretty cool bike, it is hard to find a better bike at any price.

dirtdigger88
12-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Bill-

Im glad you mentioned the tape first- I never would want to pick on someones bike- but the pink has gotta go- other than that NICE!!!!!!!!

jason

pale scotsman
12-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Aye lads, pink is a daring mans colour. The pale one had pink bottle cages and toe straps on his black chrome '87 schwinn high sierra back in '87. He became the butt 'o many shop jokes fer it.

Bill Bove
12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
:banana: Pink rocks! Pink, my personal Celeste :banana:

Ken Robb
12-07-2004, 08:21 PM
sorry boys. The flash made it look pink but it's really red Cinelli tape...........not that there's anything WRONG with pink.

BumbleBeeDave
12-07-2004, 08:32 PM
Care to repeat the details of the deal? Why did you think it was too good to be true? :confused:

BBDave

Bill Bove
12-07-2004, 08:45 PM
It'd look better with pink tape.

Ken Robb
12-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Serotta James couldn't find any info on the build. He asked me what shop had sold it originally. The shop that sold it to me (not a Serotta dealer) said it had been sent right from Serotta to a man in the bike industry who got free bikes. It came with TT bars as well and I was hoping that it wouldn't be tri-geometry. I paid $2500 with at least $2,000 of equipment on it. A really good deal that really was.

SoCalSteve
12-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Too bad it wasnt my size...As I would have scooped it up! Great deal....They are out there, just need to look.

Good luck with your beautiful new bike!

Steve

PS: The Legend ST sold to someone else in a day. I set it up for him.

Bradford
12-08-2004, 07:56 AM
The Legend ST sold to me :banana: , and SoCalSteve was a big help. Thanks again Steve for being generous with your time. In addition, River was a great guy to deal with. Once again, the Serotta board has proven to be a uniquely friendly and helpful community.

I think I知 going to be very happy with this bike. There certainly are some good deals out there right now. It should be here on Friday, but I知 still looking out the window whenever I hear noise on the street to see if it is a brown truck with a big box for me.

There is only one thing that I知 not sure about, the Easton carbon seat post. I知 a little nervous about putting my 200 plus frame on a carbon post, so I値l probably put a Thompson on like I have on my other bikes.

But the rest of the bike seems to be perfect. Since I first rode a legend two years ago, it has been the bike I致e wanted. Now not only do I have a legend, but it is an ST, and I致e always liked the polish/matt finish.

I知 so excited to get this bike. Now if I can just get New England weather to cooperate, I hope to get in some rides over the next month.

Keith A
12-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Ken,

Glad to hear that it is as good in person as it was on paper (or monitor in this case). Waiting for a bike that was purchased via the internet -- where you haven't really seen the bike can be an anxious time and often causes some sleepless nights. You start wondering if the seller measured it correctly, or if there is some hidden damage or problems that he didn't reveal, did he do a good job packing the bike for shipping, or while it arrive safely with no damage from the shipper.

But when it arrives and you start opening the box, it's like being a kid at Christmas -- especially if all of your concerns are unfounded. Such was the case with my own Legend Ti purchase. It turned out much better in person that I expected -- especially the color, which I wasn't sure about. My CSi was a little different as it was lost in shipping and when it did arrive the shipper had broken the rear derailleur and something had come loose in the box and put a decent scratch on a basically unused bike.

Congrats on the new Serotta.

Ken Robb
12-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Keith, you are so right. In this case I bought it just before Thanksgiving so there was no pick up by UPS until the following Monday. Then the shop/seller had to go to his warehouse to get a box big enough for this size bike: two more days then 4 day shipping so I was having some anxiety. The good news is that I had a good feeling about the seller and he has a good track record w/feedback.

Keith A
12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
The good news is that I had a good feeling about the seller and he has a good track record w/feedback.
In my opinion, this is one of the biggest keys in having a successful "Internet" transaction. That is having confidence in the seller before you strike a deal or submit a bid.