PDA

View Full Version : Best angle for Aliante

jmeloy
02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Just took forst ride on new Aliante S and not too bad. Used to a saddle with a cut-out. Any tips on best angle for these to optimize comfort?

Ray
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Just took forst ride on new Aliante S and not too bad. Used to a saddle with a cut-out. Any tips on best angle for these to optimize comfort?
I spent a lot of time on that before I switched saddles. I like the part that supports my sitbones to be level. Which, with the Aliante, means the nose is waaaaay up. But if you like the back portion level, the Aliante may not be the saddle for you - something level might be better. I switched to the Specialized Phenom and may try the new Fizik (the Antares?) because they don't swoop up in the back. Most of the people ride with the Aliante pretty level, which means the back is swooping up. I always feel like I'm falling forward onto my hands with the back swooping up. Bottom line is you just have to play with it and find the position that feels best to you.

-Ray

wasfast
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
"Level" is a bit of a potential misnomer with Aliante's. I own 5 of them. Very small changes to the tilt make LARGE differences in perceived comfort.

Level to me means touching the tip and tail, with air in the middle. I use a 48" carpenters level perfectly centered on the saddle with the bike on a level surface. That's the starting point. After than, changes of 1/4 turn on a 2 bolt post will make large differences.

dekindy
02-23-2009, 04:09 PM
"Level" is a bit of a potential misnomer with Aliante's. I own 5 of them. Very small changes to the tilt make LARGE differences in perceived comfort.

Level to me means touching the tip and tail, with air in the middle. I use a 4" carpenters level perfectly centered on the saddle with the bike on a level surface. That's the starting point. After than, changes of 1/4 turn on a 2 bolt post will make large differences.

+1. Stick with it. Assuming the Aliante is the right saddle for you a minute adjustment can be the difference between misery and ecstacy. IMHO most people that love the Aliante hate the Arione and the other way around is true also. I have only heard of one guy that likes them both and even then above 50-70 miles he has a strong preference for the Aliante.

fierte_poser
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Specifically:

Thomson setback (bent) seatpost
73deg seattube angle

Thomson seatpost angle marking says -15.

This equates to a 'level' Aliante. YMMV.

jmeloy
02-23-2009, 08:15 PM
+1. Stick with it. Assuming the Aliante is the right saddle for you a minute adjustment can be the difference between misery and ecstacy. IMHO most people that love the Aliante hate the Arione and the other way around is true also. I have only heard of one guy that likes them both and even then above 50-70 miles he has a strong preference for the Aliante.
dekindy, I'm hopeful the aliante will work for me. Had an arione and it wasn't bad but felt too "flat" at the back.

chuckred
02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
On both my road bikes - flat as measured by a carpenter's level off of the tip and tail, and on level ground. But, I never really tried any other angles - it just feels right.

dekindy
02-23-2009, 08:54 PM
dekindy, I'm hopeful the aliante will work for me. Had an arione and it wasn't bad but felt too "flat" at the back.

I really liked the Aliante from the beginning. My LBS fitter lent me one of their Arione's to demo and he even set it up for me. It gave me the worse saddle sores that I have ever had. The Aliante is so comfortable that I will probably keep it. However it would be nice to be able to move around some.

The Service Manager let me ride his bike that he built with a Selle Anatomica saddle. I only rode it around the parking lot but it really felt great. One of the top of the line Cannondale touring bikes is spec'd with this saddle. Based on a short test ride on the Cannondale he ordered one. He is not going to be able to ride outside until Spring. I am anxious to get a long term report from him. Meanwhile SA will be at NAHBS this week so I will hopefully get a chance to talk with them in person.

I have probably ridden close to 10,000 miles on the Aliante Sport model so I will probably stick with it. I have seen more than one comment that this base model Sport is just as comfortable as the more expensive ones so I have not upgraded. Maybe I can demo one of those and find out for myself.

The fitter at my LBS uses a very short level to level the front portion of the saddle. This gives the saddle effect that one of the other guys mentioned. It really is a sweet spot once it is dialed in. My longest ride has been the 160-mile in a day RAIN ride.

dekindy
03-24-2009, 01:50 PM
The best position for my saddle is nose downward 1 degree measured from the highest point on the nose to the highest point on either side of the back end of the saddle. The fitter has a digital level that is not long enough to reach that length so he places a regular size level on the saddle and puts the digital level on top of it.

On previous fittings I thought he had used his short, digital level to level the front portion of the saddle. But I paid close attention and this how he does it.

dana_e
03-24-2009, 04:03 PM
The rear of the saddle is cut away, so level or slightly less, using an imaginary line of where the saddle rear would be it it existed.

the nose up will destroy you. IMHO

Simon Q
03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Like everyone else has said the slightest change in angle will make a difference but I conatcted Fizik and the saddle is designed to have the nose lower than the highest part of the tail viewed from side on. Mine is nose below tail and is a joy to ride and no falling/sliding forward.

Erik.Lazdins
03-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I set mine to dead level - then one notch tilting the nose down.

Both my bikes have Aliante saddles.

GBD
03-24-2009, 07:15 PM
I have mine set at 1.5 degrees nose up.
I place a book over the 3 contact points and use a digital level.

rockdude
03-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I have the Aliante on both road bikes, my cross bike and MTB. all are with the nose down.

fixednwinter
03-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Except for one older (early 90's) bike with an old school Regal, all my bikes run the Aliante. After a couple of years of riding them, I've settled on:

Set it at level and then I tilt slightly +1 degree nose up.

Works great, at least for me.

scottcw2
03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Set it at level and then I tilt slightly +1 degree nose up.

Works great, at least for me.

Define "level". I think part of the issue with the Aliante is determining whether level is with the level running from the nose through the cut-out V in the back (which is lower than the surrounding area) or from the nose to the highest point of the back (next to the cut-out V). Personally, I start at the latter and go 1º nose up from there.

rustychain
03-25-2009, 12:06 AM
I agree with the idea that level should be at the part of the saddle were your sit bones rest. That sometimes is not related to the fore and aft system of placing a straight edge on top of the saddle. Its wear you sit that's important. I would bet that 90% of those that claim to have there saddle tilted would find its level if measured this way. I just set my Iphone on that area and use the bubble level app to check :cool:

dekindy
03-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Define "level". I think part of the issue with the Aliante is determining whether level is with the level running from the nose through the cut-out V in the back (which is lower than the surrounding area) or from the nose to the highest point of the back (next to the cut-out V). Personally, I start at the latter and go 1º nose up from there.

The latter method is used by my fitter and 1 degree nose downward which according to another comment is recommended by Fizik. I have read Aliante threads and there is no magic formula but you have to start somewhere so 1 degree nose downward is what I would suggest to a new user.

Ray
03-25-2009, 06:36 AM
I agree with the idea that level should be at the part of the saddle were your sit bones rest. That sometimes is not related to the fore and aft system of placing a straight edge on top of the saddle. Its wear you sit that's important. I would bet that 90% of those that claim to have there saddle tilted would find its level if measured this way. I just set my Iphone on that area and use the bubble level app to check :cool:
That clearly applies to me. My sit bones rested on the rear portion that would normally be upswept. So I leveled that area, which juts the nose waaaay the hell up (into my belly if I'm getting at all low on the bike). So I concluded that as much as I like the flex of that saddle, I'm really better off on a flatter (front to back) saddle and that's been proving out pretty well since I switched away from the Aliante.

If you like to sit in the hammock that the Aliante shape presents, its a great saddle. If you like to sit on the rear part, it might not be for you. I think its best in the general vicinity of "level", which means the rear swept up. But that didn't work for me.

-Ray

Erik.Lazdins
03-25-2009, 10:25 AM

I measure the Aliante with a level from the nose running through the V in the rear - I set this level then adjust the saddle to be slightly nose down from there- Agree that the sit bones perch a bit higher but then thats the intent of the Aliante design atmo of course.

scottcw2
03-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Just curious, how are those using a regular spirit level estimating 1º?

dekindy
03-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Just curious, how are those using a regular spirit level estimating 1º?

I came home after my fitter aligned mine using a digital level and measured it with a regular bubble level. The bubble is just barely outside the line for approximately 1 degree. That is assuming the bike is setting on a certain part of my basement floor which may or not be exactly level. But at least I can duplicate mine now after the saddle is positioned properly. I am trying to research digital levels to see if I can find a quality one at a reasonable price.

sbornia
03-27-2009, 06:48 AM
I agree with the idea that level should be at the part of the saddle were your sit bones rest....I just set my Iphone on that area and use the bubble level app to check :cool:

I want to try this - do you just position it lengthwise?

scottcw2
03-27-2009, 09:24 AM
I came home after my fitter aligned mine using a digital level and measured it with a regular bubble level. The bubble is just barely outside the line for approximately 1 degree.

The whole bubble or just the tip?

Dave
03-27-2009, 10:15 AM
To make small changes to the saddle angle, I place a torpedo level on the tail, hold the level so the bubble is centered (truly level) and then measure a specific amount of drop near the other end of the level. An angle can be expressed as rise or drop divided by run. 1 degree is .0175 inch or just less than .5mm per degree, for each inch of run. One convenient value is 1/8 inch of rise or drop over a 7 inch length, equals 1 degree.

The problem with levels is the bike must be sitting level or at least in the same place to produce an accurate angle measurement. Even a digital level will be inaccurate if the bike is not sitting level.

With my method, the bike really does not need to sit level, if you check the drop before changing the angle, then make whatever change is desired.

dekindy
03-27-2009, 10:22 AM
The whole bubble or just the tip?

The tip.

fixednwinter
03-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Yup, I go with with the highest point of the back as well. And the 1 degree nose up allows my weight to rotate backwards slightly to my sit bones, relieving pressure on my perineum.

Another note: I actually use the Gamma variant, rather than the original style. I believe Gamma is a few mm wider than the original road version.

Cdub
03-27-2009, 01:26 PM
What a great saddle. I am on my third and have it on three bikes.

My road rig has the carbon rail seat. I can ride the aliante for hours and have never had a saddle sore.

Mine is level/flat