PDA

View Full Version : wheel advice please: oddsandendos vs. 03' neutrons vs. ??

Kurt
12-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Hi, well I just got destroying my latest set of wheels – I have a friend that will let go of an almost new pair of neutrons for around $ 350 or for around the same price I can have mike build me a set using velocity, dt, sun, etc. I use the SO’s nucleons from time to time and they roll real smooth and climb well for a heavier (today’s standards) wheel – they just feel comfortable to me, but they are a pain to put a tire on and I don’t like breaking down a wheel to true it. I don’t know anything about Mike’s wheels other than folks seem to like what he does, he backs his product and it’s a good value. I am very overweight @ the moment, the high 190’s but am normally in the 180’s and I tend to me hard on stuff – just want a decent product for club rides and the occasional non-serious crit – I am open to all suggestions, but over-price boutique wheels do not interest me much anymore - Thanks!

jeffg
12-07-2004, 03:50 PM
At 190 I would steer clear of Neutrons. I know a few folks who have broken spokes at over 175 and that is not pretty. You could probably ride Eurus, but those are now very much overpriced boutique wheelsand require the "break-down" for servicing as Neutrons. How about Bontrager rims laced to White Industries hubs with Sapim-CX ray spokes. Probably lighter than Eurus, and a fairly solid wheel if not quite as stiff in the rear as a G3 setup?

Kurt
12-07-2004, 03:57 PM
At 190 I would steer clear of Neutrons. I know a few folks who have broken spokes at over 175 and that is not pretty. You could probably ride Eurus, but those are now very much overpriced boutique wheelsand require the "break-down" for servicing as Neutrons. How about Bontrager rims laced to White Industries hubs with Sapim-CX ray spokes. Probably lighter than Eurus, and a fairly solid wheel if not quite as stiff in the rear as a G3 setup?

thanks for the tip re the neutrons, @ this point I wish I was only 190 - re the other wheels I sort of wanted to keep it turn-key and easy - I know the white hubs are jewels and the sapim's are also supposed to be good - don't know anything about the trager's - do you know someone that has experence with all this stuff? Thanks again!

dirtdigger88
12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Kurt-

I am having a set of wheels built right now on my Chris King hubs. I am using the DT RR 1.1 rim. The rim looks to be very well made- I will post a report after I get them. Matt at Big Shark is building the wheels to hold up to my weight- 200ish - so I would think they would work for you

Jason

jeffg
12-07-2004, 04:40 PM
thanks for the tip re the neutrons, @ this point I wish I was only 190 - re the other wheels I sort of wanted to keep it turn-key and easy - I know the white hubs are jewels and the sapim's are also supposed to be good - don't know anything about the trager's - do you know someone that has experence with all this stuff? Thanks again!

Bontrager makes an offset clincher rim that is good quality and reasonable. The White Hubs also help with dish, so they should in theory make for a stronger wheel. Sapim CX-Rays are awesome spokes (light, strong) but expensive. To be honest, Shimano or Campy hubs should be just fine, but this setup will also have a bit of zoot and give the offset advantages of a Neutron in a slightly more durable configuration. Good luck!

EdK
12-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Neutrons are excellent and near bomb proof. I have two pair they have remained flawless for 2+ years I am larger than the average bike racer and put out a fair amount of power. Oh yeah Magnus Backstedt won Paris Robaix on Neutrons. They are not prone to fail under big folks......... unless there is a problem with them. Can I buy the near new Neutrons for $350??????

Kurt
12-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Kurt-

I am having a set of wheels built right now on my Chris King hubs. I am using the DT RR 1.1 rim. The rim looks to be very well made- I will post a report after I get them. Matt at Big Shark is building the wheels to hold up to my weight- 200ish - so I would think they would work for you

Jason

if you are using king then your wheels are not native campy, which is what I need - I am using the CD ti cass which I am not giving up. just got your pm, thanks - when do you get these wheels?

Kurt
12-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Neutrons are excellent and near bomb proof. I have two pair they have remained flawless for 2+ years I am larger than the average bike racer and put out a fair amount of power. Oh yeah Magnus Backstedt won Paris Robaix on Neutrons. They are not prone to fail under big folks......... unless there is a problem with them. Can I buy the near new Neutrons for $350??????

your weight please - thanks

Alan
12-07-2004, 05:32 PM
You may want to ck out Spin Lite Cycles as they are another custom wheel builder with good prices. They have Velocity hubs w Campy spacing. See:

http://www.spinlitecycling.com/

Another possible source is Neuvation wheels though their spoke counts are limited. They will have Campy compatible hubs by spring. Ck out their site at:

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels/wheels.html

ols
12-07-2004, 05:45 PM
I have both - Odds and Endos roadwheels are Sun Venus/Am Classic/CX Rays with about 600 miles. My Neutrons have about 2500 miles. I weigh 185. Both sets are still perfectly true (riding in and around nyc.) Mike also built me a set of 29er mountain bike wheels (700c Sun O degree rims) that I've done some 100 mile off road races with and they're also true despite all those rock gardens they've pounded over. Not sure if Mike starting out (I think) with mostly mountain biking wheels means that he builds them extra strong, but they work really well. My next set of wheels (for an offroad singlespeed) will probably be from Mike. Hope this helps.

Kurt
12-08-2004, 08:31 AM
You may want to ck out Spin Lite Cycles as they are another custom wheel builder with good prices. They have Velocity hubs w Campy spacing. See:

http://www.spinlitecycling.com/

Another possible source is Neuvation wheels though their spoke counts are limited. They will have Campy compatible hubs by spring. Ck out their site at:

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels/wheels.html

very nice alan, I would never come across these sites - this is just what I am trying to find, wheels that are less $ from places that will back the product, prob won't do the Neuvation product - I have learned my lesson not to ever get 1st gen wheels - thanks!

dirtdigger88
12-08-2004, 09:43 AM
Kurt-

No, I remember you use campy (don't worry- I still like you). I figure hubs are as personal as a saddles- but I at least wanted you to know I will be getting in some hoops that not many here have tried. I hope to have them before this week end- but I am not sure.

Jason

EdK
12-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Kurt

188 pounds.....

Kurt
12-08-2004, 04:14 PM
First off, thanks for everyone’s comments and PM’s – I really appreciate it. My buddy with the campy wheels sold them to someone else, which is fine - they are a great wheel but harder to find parts for (replacement rim is $ 150!) and I really did not want internal nips + they are a total pain to put tires on. I talked with both Joe Young and Lyle @ Spin-Lite and they both wanted 600-700 for a set with qr and shipping and unlike a campy wheel they are worth little @ resale. I guess I don’t see the value in spending twice the amount when they are not twice the wheel, to me at least. The solutions they provide are using better parts (DT and White hubs for example) but I ended up going with Mike's wheels @ odds - he truly talks the talk and I want to give my money to someone like that. I wanted a more conventional set that would last and to buy from someone that I could actually talk with for a change. His prices always include shipping, extra spokes and QR and the bottom line is I just like him. We discussed the wheels at length – training/climbing/comfort/durability - did not want a deep V because I hate them in wind, discussed spoke tensions using different gauge and manufactures spokes until I could not stand it anymore.

I went with Velocity Aerohead (21mm) - blk
32 F/R
2x front - wheelsmith CL14 (14/17) - silver
2x non-drive - wheelsmith CL14 (14/17) - silver
3x drive - wheelsmith DB14 (14/15.5) - silver
novatech (joy tech) campy hubs made for Mike
extra hub body for shimano
brass nips - blk
extra spokes and nips
2-year warranty – est weight 1525gm
$300 total w/o the extra hub bodies which are $30

Great deal and a pleasure to deal with for sure – I will have the wheels next week and report back then. Thanks again!

gdw
12-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Mike's a good guy and stands by his product. One quick question. Are the Novatech hubs the same as the SpeedCific hubs he has on the website?

Kurt
12-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Mike's a good guy and stands by his product. One quick question. Are the Novatech hubs the same as the SpeedCific hubs he has on the website?

the hubs are the same and they also look just like the fsa units, which is the only thing that did not fall apart with my rd's. The nice thing about hubs designed like this is the cassette stays with the hub body and can be taken apart and fully cleaned in minutes and you can also replace spokes on the drive side with only an al wrench - in europe I always throw some spokes in my seattube and a wrench in my bag before enbarking on the day. I also like to be able to switch to my shimano mtb setup for only $30. Mike is quite the guy, I really think I found my match.