PDA

View Full Version : Catlike helmets

dekindy
02-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I just became aware of this brand in a recent thread here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=56208

Can anyone compare their helmet models (Whisper Plus) to the Bell Sweep R for ventilation and comfort? Heat is my enemy and if I can find a helmet with even better ventilation than the Sweep it would help me during the hot summer months when I am suffering.

amator
02-23-2009, 07:46 AM
I just became aware of this brand in a recent thread here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=56208

Can anyone compare their helmet models (Whisper Plus) to the Bell Sweep R for ventilation and comfort? Heat is my enemy and if I can find a helmet with even better ventilation than the Sweep it would help me during the hot summer months when I am suffering.

I have that same problem with my Lazer, having 2 dip my head down to try to get some air in. never had that problem with Giro.

dekindy
02-23-2009, 08:03 AM
I have that same problem with my Lazer, having 2 dip my head down to try to get some air in. never had that problem with Giro.

Are there some Giro models that have better ventilation than the Bell Sweep?

dookie
02-23-2009, 08:29 AM
how about a source for these? none in the US that i can find, PBK has apparently dropped 'em, lots of canadian stores listed, but no ecommerce that i can locate...

thx.

Chris
02-23-2009, 09:10 AM
They were imported here a few years ago, but did not go through all of the testing needed for US certification. It is my understanding that they meet the requirements, but the company didn't want to go to the expense of having the testing done. All of the helmets sold in the US were recalled.

Spicoli
02-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Get an S-works, most ventilated helmet i've ever had. tough helmet for the winter though.

I am comparing it to old catlikes and gyro's.

ThirtyEast
02-23-2009, 09:16 AM
I have a Catlike Whisper that I've been using for the last few years and I love it. The fit is much different than the Giro helmets I used previously. The shape is more rounded than the Giro, which used to pinch my temples a bit more than I found comfortable over long rides. It's super light and extremely well ventilated for warm weather riding. The downside - can't get them readily in the US and they're technically not US legal (at least for racing in USA Cycling sanctioned races). This is less to do with their safety and more to do with the lack of testing done on them.

alancw3
02-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I have a Catlike Whisper that I've been using for the last few years and I love it. The fit is much different than the Giro helmets I used previously. The shape is more rounded than the Giro, which used to pinch my temples a bit more than I found comfortable over long rides. It's super light and extremely well ventilated for warm weather riding. The downside - can't get them readily in the US and they're technically not US legal (at least for racing in USA Cycling sanctioned races). This is less to do with their safety and more to do with the lack of testing done on them.

i saw at least one team wear them in the tour of california so they must be sanctioned for racing. just saying.

actually posted to another thread that catlike will be my next helmut. i think they are the best looking helmuts out there.

caleb
02-23-2009, 11:12 AM
i saw at least one team wear them in the tour of california so they must be sanctioned for racing. just saying.

actually posted to another thread that catlike will be my next helmut. i think they are the best looking helmuts out there.

Rock Racing wore them at the ToC. I assume that the ToC was UCI sanctioned and not USAC sanctioned, so they didn't need to meet the US standards.

If anyone has a source for these, please post it here. They're pretty sweet looking, and I'd get one even if only to use it on group rides.

Edit:

Looks like Cervelo had them on. I thought Seville (Rock Racing) did, but it looks like they were all in LG.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/feb09/california09/california098/ball-stage8-14.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/feb09/california09/california097/JD_09TOCstg7015.jpg

Chris
02-23-2009, 02:03 PM
A buddy of mine was the importer in the states. It was a major headache for him to resolve the issue and they are not available here. You might try Canada, but they may not be able to ship them here. It's worth asking. Check here for shops who sell Catlike in Canada http://cooleurostuff.com/Site/where_to_buy.html

Catlike is also imported to Puerto Rico, but I don't know who gets them there.

Hope that helps.

ADD
02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I had a Kompact Team....awesome helmet, by far the best fit for me. Unfortunately the retention strap on the back broke came out of the helmet.....glad I never crashed in it. I emailed them never heard back, not surprised, but not impressed. You can't get them in Canada anymore either, don't think there is a distributor + no one wants the liability of an "illegal" helmet.

geoffm
02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I have Bell Sweep R, Catlike Kompact and Giro Atmos Phonak helmets. I think I like the Kompact best...

Spicoli
02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
If I remember correctly they had a pretty big recall and that kind of sealed there fate in the US. I first started wearing them when a pal of mine who happened to be Portugese(SP?) brought me one back after a trip home. I did love the helmet and wore them for a couple years after even before you could get them here. Once they did become available all the problems as stated above came about with the company and distributing in the USofA. It was basically a pain in the a$$ for shops to carry the brand. It was around the time Orbeas started showing up in the US and they may have been the first distribs...? I am going on a very vague take on the whole thing.

Specialized and Giro have been great for me since, and BTW the have different fits as the Specialized seem to be a bit on the round head type and Giro's are kinda oval on me....or vise versa???

Good luck with what ya go with :beer: