PDA

View Full Version : Moderator Lash about this?

girlie
02-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Fictional

Dear "Viper",

The more you write, the dumber you seem.

Ok...I don't always agree with Viper or with Richard.

BUT

When Viper is the only one publically reprimanded something feels wrong.

How about a public reprimand of this guy? He only appears in conflict and only causes more conflict.....what up with that?

Just say'n

And yes I'm starting something....it's not fair and it's bullsh*t....they should have a price to pay as well.

P.S. I love my bicycle!

girlie

Lifelover
02-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Rule #1

Let the Mods do whatEVER they feel is right without a bunch of whining! Even if (like me) you don't agree.

BumbleBeeDave
02-22-2009, 08:22 PM
. . . and had already alerted Pete earlier today. I find it odd that someone who apparently left the forum because of their distaste for those here would return if this is all they have to contribute.

BBD

girlie
02-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Rule #1

Let the Mods do whatEVER they feel is right without a bunch of whining! Even if (like me) you don't agree.

So bias is allowed or is it saying whatever you feel is allowed.

Then you're an idiot.
IS that allowed?
girlie

girlie
02-22-2009, 08:27 PM
. . . and had already alerted Pete earlier today. I find it odd that someone who apparently left the forum because of their distaste for those here would return if this is all they have to contribute.

BBD

Thank you.

If one is made public than the other should be as well.

I will behave now.

girlie

Lifelover
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
So bias is allowed or is it saying whatever you feel is allowed.

Then you're an idiot.
IS that allowed?
girlie

Like it or not, here and on any other forum, whatever the admin(s) allow is what's allowed.

Some folks would think that Idiot is a step up for me.

girlie
02-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Like it or not, here and on any other forum, whatever the admin(s) allow is what's allowed.

Some folks would think that Idiot is a step up for me.

I'm actually more of an anarchist which makes me the fairest of the all ;)

girlie

rphetteplace
02-22-2009, 09:33 PM
All I can say is that the admin gave detention to the kid that just got the swirlie....just saying...

Ti Designs
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Then you're an idiot.
IS that allowed?

Being an idiot is allowed - I'm still here!

Ahneida Ride
02-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Being an idiot is allowed - I'm still here!

Same here too .... I was awarded a Halfbright scholarship ! :p

William
02-23-2009, 04:22 AM
Who am I!?! Why am I here??? :confused:

AR takes the Admiral (William) for a joyride..... (http://www.hulu.com/watch/4123/saturday-night-live-joyride-with-perot)

William :)

keno
02-23-2009, 06:14 AM
arbitrary and totalitarianism is across the hall from what I hear, if you are willing to be at the whim of a moderator.

One of the appealing aspects of this forum is the honest attempt of sane moderator actions in my view. There is an underlying value, I believe, of some form of fairness here. While I hardly agree with its application all of the time, I nevertheless believe in its presence.

BTW, I was somewhat confused about Viper's ban, if at all, as mentioned in Pete's post on the subject in THE thread. Was he banned for something else, or simply not banned?

keno

CNY rider
02-23-2009, 06:24 AM
I've had my run-ins with Viper before.
Whether I like him or dislike him I'm still not sure of BUT he did nothing to deserve a ban in that thread.
Viper's like the kid that all the other kids in 5th grade pick on because they know they can get a rise out of him. Might have been amusing back then but it's not so funny now.

Viper accuses "Reg" of being davids. I sure hope not because davids was an excellent, informative poster and I miss his presence here. Reg Pither is a total jerkoff and I don't see davids stooping to that level.

Memo to Viper: You're a bull in a china shop and some of the folks here like to wave a red flag at you just to get you to react. Rise above, Viper. Don't let them bait you.

Sandy
02-23-2009, 07:23 AM
arbitrary and totalitarianism is across the hall from what I hear, if you are willing to be at the whim of a moderator.

One of the appealing aspects of this forum is the honest attempt of sane moderator actions in my view. There is an underlying value, I believe, of some form of fairness here. While I hardly agree with its application all of the time, I nevertheless believe in its presence.

BTW, I was somewhat confused about Viper's ban, if at all, as mentioned in Pete's post on the subject in THE thread. Was he banned for something else, or simply not banned?

keno

Very well stated, especially your initial statement and appraisal of forum moderation. The moderators here have a remarkably difficult job, but try extremely hard to be as fair as possible. One may not always agree with a particular decision a moderator makes, but overall the moderators do a superb and thankless job.

Sandy

ti_boi
02-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Viper....Viper.....Viper.....he has impressed me on many occassions....he is a smart and creative fellow. He even started to change my thinking on issues of Palestine and see it from other eyes...which were also helped along with a very touching radio segment on the matter. So, it is my thought that sometimes website forums benefit from a 'viper' in the grass....just don't get bitten.

csm
02-23-2009, 07:42 AM
at the end of the day it's still just...... a forum. I still don't see why some take it so seriously!!!!!

William
02-23-2009, 07:44 AM
at the end of the day it's still just...... a forum. I still don't see why some take it so seriously!!!!!

I certainly don't. ;) :)

William

csm
02-23-2009, 07:54 AM
is the ban over the lance pushing the fatdude thread? If so... the only thing I saw that was a bit over-the-top was the photoshopped pics of lance. and even those still made me smile.
Free Viper atmo.

Lifelover
02-23-2009, 08:45 AM

keno

We agree 100%, I think.

Just like across the hall, we ARE at the whim of the Moderator(s). It's just that the one(s) here tend to be reasonable and not self serving. If they do on occasion act in a way that I don't agree with, it really does no good to challange them. Certianly not in public. The Serotta Mods deserve better. ATMO

I coach youth Basketball and it kind of reminds me of dealing with the refs. Sometimes they are great, but other times they are crazy bad. Screaming at them (me or my players) is not going to improve anything.

LegendRider
02-23-2009, 09:03 AM
We agree 100%, I think.

Just like across the hall, we ARE at the whim of the Moderator(s). It's just that the one(s) here tend to be reasonable and not self serving. If they do on occasion act in a way that I don't agree with, it really does no good to challange them. Certianly not in public. The Serotta Mods deserve better. ATMO

I coach youth Basketball and it kind of reminds me of dealing with the refs. Sometimes they are great, but other times they are crazy bad. Screaming at them (me or my players) is not going to improve anything.

Serotta Pete does a great job in his attempt to keep things from getting overheated. He's fair and impartial which is (much) more than I can say about those across that hall.

Ray
02-23-2009, 09:41 AM
And also sets a hell of a bad example for your "youths" about how to deal with stuff you don't like.

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
02-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Viper is simply taking a break by his own choice. That is my understanding, at least.

BBD

Pete Serotta
02-23-2009, 10:02 AM
No one was or has been banned......

Sometimes I get excited just like others on the forum. It is human. Yes- I got "into it" yesterday and did not show respect to some as I preach..... If i had it to do over again, I would have just closed the threads. (Poll and Lance One) The reason was not the content BUT was the inciting that was probable :no: )

As to singling out one person....One thread never does that BUT numerous threads can do it. Yes and life is very seldom fair.

I truly wish things were as black and white, and that all the information was available and only offered one interpretation... That would be a nice but a very rare occurrence/

As others have said - "It is only a forum". Additionally we all love the sport and usually like each other. (but we still get emotionally involved)

I truly HATE censorship and banning..... Some of the "c" has been done by closing, deleting, erasing BUT no one has been banned for over a day or two (and I think that has been less than 5 folks - not counting the spammers)

There are many smarter and more knowledgeable than I and we all can learn from others....and no we do not have to agree with them.

Censorship is a form of non learning - the ideal forum would be one of adhocracy :D :confused:

yeah i looked up the word :D PETE

flickwet
02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
a wee bit of hypocrazy (sp) across the hall.

jlwdm
02-23-2009, 10:17 AM
I really enjoy this forum and the forum across the hall. I get great, but different information from both. Any internet forum, no matter how good it is, is going to have issues with how much control to have over posters and what info can be posted.

There are clearly some posters here who most of the time post negative comments. I just try to ignore those individuals and ignore the politics of the forum.

Too much good info on both forums to stay away. The information on frame building, fit and equipment on the other forum is priceless.

A proud owner of two Serottas.

Jeff

Ahneida Ride
02-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Two years ago, Serotta Andrew placed me on Double Secret Probation.

I asked Pete for release and he up-ed it to Triple Esoteric Isolation. ;)

What comes after that ? :beer:

Johny
02-23-2009, 10:54 AM
we all love the sport and usually like each other.

XXXOOOXXXOOO

:red: :red: :red:

John

paczki
02-23-2009, 11:17 AM

It's so secret it has no name. Ask Ti Designs, he's on it. But he might have to kill you if he tells you about it.

BumbleBeeDave
02-23-2009, 11:22 AM

. . . Quadruple Secret By-Pass Probation!

BBD

Tobias
02-23-2009, 11:36 AM
And also sets a hell of a bad example for your "youths" about how to deal with stuff you don't like.

-RayI agree 100% that it is not productive and sets a bad example to yell at “crazy bad” refs when they are inept at being “good refs”.

OTOH, what do we do with refs that are “crazy bad” because they are “corrupt”, not merely inept? If they are on the take or highly biased for some other reason, then what? :confused:

BTW, I’m not referring to moderator actions here – just wondering what is appropriate when words are inadequate.

William
02-23-2009, 11:58 AM
...BTW, I’m not referring to moderator actions here – just wondering what is appropriate when words are inadequate.

A sidekick or a stiff arm into a snowbank?

William ;)

Lifelover
02-23-2009, 01:12 PM
...OTOH, what do we do with refs that are “crazy bad” because they are “corrupt”, not merely inept? If they are on the take or highly biased for some other reason, then what? :confused:......

It's interesting you brought this up. Me and my Bro-inlaw both coach the same two 15-16 teams. I'm head on one he is head on the other. We practice together and during the games we help each other as assistants.

We got lucky twice over this season. We got good players and placed in a less competitive grouping. Thus we are both doing well. 5-1 going into this past weekends game against each other.

There is one ref who for some reason seems to dislike me. Although he yells at everybody, he seems to take more pleasure in yelling at me. Our league has a rule that all players must have no under shirt or all the same color under shirt. They almost never enforce it.

Before the game this week, the ref come over yelling at me to get my gets to all match. He says nothing to the other team even though they are in different color shirts.

During the game, he called 2 techs on my players (one was complete justified) but would not tell me what they were for. Even when I approached at 1/2 time he refused to discuss it with me.

While yelling at him certianly would make me fell better, I'm convinced it would only make mattters worse and I suspect he would T me up in a heart beat.

I had to bite my lip. All I could do is file a "ref eval" sheet and send it to the league.

Viper
02-23-2009, 01:13 PM
just wondering what is appropriate when words are inadequate.

Love

http://ww4.1800flowers.com/

http://www.vermontteddybear.com/

:beer:

Tobias
02-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Love+1 -- Excellent advice for positive situations.

Not so sure it works well under negative conditions; turning the other cheek seems to have serious limitations. ;)

A.L.Breguet
02-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Viper, a real badasp.

Chad Engle
02-23-2009, 08:27 PM
OTOH, what do we do with refs that are “crazy bad” because they are “corrupt”, not merely inept? If they are on the take or highly biased for some other reason, then what?

What level of officiating are your referring to?

I coach a little and used to officiate a little. Have you truly worked with corrupt officials or are they just that bad? Did you contact their sanctioning organization?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of terrible officials, probably even more terrible coaches, and don't get me started on parents screaming out rules that were changed years ago or never existed.

I recommend that all coaches walk a mile in an officials shoes, worked for me. Unfortunately we can't play without them (coaches and officials) and since most volunteer, or get paid very little to get screamed at by folks with no idea of what they are talking about, it's VERY DIFFICULT to get young folks into officiating.

YMMV. Sorry for adding to the drift. Oh, keep on keeping on Viper, it's only the internet. :beer:

Lifelover
02-23-2009, 10:25 PM
What level of officiating are your referring to?

I coach a little and used to officiate a little. Have you truly worked with corrupt officials or are they just that bad? Did you contact their sanctioning organization?

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of terrible officials, probably even more terrible coaches, and don't get me started on parents screaming out rules that were changed years ago or never existed.

I recommend that all coaches walk a mile in an officials shoes, worked for me. Unfortunately we can't play without them (coaches and officials) and since most volunteer, or get paid very little to get screamed at by folks with no idea of what they are talking about, it's VERY DIFFICULT to get young folks into officiating.

YMMV. Sorry for adding to the drift. Oh, keep on keeping on Viper, it's only the internet. :beer:

True Dat!

I truly enjoy coaching but don't see why anyone would want to officiate. Completely thankless.

God Bless them, even the crazy bad ones!

ti_boi
02-24-2009, 07:41 AM
Take the advice of the dead sage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auTwQcuYzdk

93legendti
02-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Hey, it's the pro-Obama Forum. Don't forget it.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=56298#post641757

Tom
02-24-2009, 08:14 AM
People don't like being told the truth. They much prefer being lied to. That's the entire substance of what's happening now.

93legendti
02-24-2009, 08:17 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090224/ap_on_go_co/spending_bill/print

Here's more truth. I hope the pro-Obama Forum can handle it:

House Democrats propose $410B spending bill
By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent David Espo, Ap Special Correspondent
Mon Feb 23, 11:54 pm ET

WASHINGTON – House Democrats unveiled a $410 billion spending bill on Monday to keep the government running through the end of the fiscal year, setting up the second political struggle over federal funds in less than a month with Republicans.

The measure includes thousands of earmarks, the pet projects favored by lawmakers but often criticized by the public in opinion polls. There was no official total of the bill's earmarks, which accounted for at least $3.8 billion.

The legislation, which includes an increase of roughly 8 percent over spending in the last fiscal year, is expected to clear the House later in the week.
Democrats defended the spending increases, saying they were needed to make up for cuts enacted in recent years or proposed a year ago by then-President George W. Bush in health, education, energy and other programs.

Republicans countered that the spending in the bill far outpaced inflation, and amounted to much higher increases when combined with spending in the stimulus legislation that President Barack Obama signed last week. In a letter to top Democratic leaders, the GOP leadership called for a spending freeze, a step they said would point toward a "new standard of fiscal discipline."

Either way, the bill advanced less than one week after Obama signed the $787 billion economic stimulus bill that all Republicans in Congress opposed except for three moderate GOP senators.

csm
02-24-2009, 08:19 AM
But Obama is gonna tell us how he will halve the deficit he INHERITED!!!! I'm hoping he addresses the one he's creating.

girlie
02-24-2009, 08:21 AM
People don't like being told the truth. They much prefer being lied to. That's the entire substance of what's happening now.

Synecdoche, NY (http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2617835545/)

girlie

CNY rider
02-24-2009, 08:28 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090224/ap_on_go_co/spending_bill/print

Here's more truth. I hope the pro-Obama Forum can handle it:

House Democrats propose $410B spending bill
By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent David Espo, Ap Special Correspondent
Mon Feb 23, 11:54 pm ET

WASHINGTON – House Democrats unveiled a $410 billion spending bill on Monday to keep the government running through the end of the fiscal year, setting up the second political struggle over federal funds in less than a month with Republicans.

The measure includes thousands of earmarks, the pet projects favored by lawmakers but often criticized by the public in opinion polls. There was no official total of the bill's earmarks, which accounted for at least $3.8 billion.

The legislation, which includes an increase of roughly 8 percent over spending in the last fiscal year, is expected to clear the House later in the week.
Democrats defended the spending increases, saying they were needed to make up for cuts enacted in recent years or proposed a year ago by then-President George W. Bush in health, education, energy and other programs.

Republicans countered that the spending in the bill far outpaced inflation, and amounted to much higher increases when combined with spending in the stimulus legislation that President Barack Obama signed last week. In a letter to top Democratic leaders, the GOP leadership called for a spending freeze, a step they said would point toward a "new standard of fiscal discipline."

Either way, the bill advanced less than one week after Obama signed the $787 billion economic stimulus bill that all Republicans in Congress opposed except for three moderate GOP senators.

Adam you are shot out of a cannon this morning. :beer:
You must have been really upset that a Republican President, with 6 of his 8 years having a Republican Congress, increased the national debt to $10 trillion, no?
Since when did Republicans become the party of fiscal responsibility, other than in rhetoric alone?

93legendti
02-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Adam you are shot out of a cannon this morning. :beer:
You must have been really upset that a Republican President, with 6 of his 8 years having a Republican Congress, increased the national debt to $10 trillion, no?
Since when did Republicans become the party of fiscal responsibility, other than in rhetoric alone?
Sorry, too much espresso.

Just hoping Pres. Obama keeps one promise, at this point, any promise. It will be a start.

I also want the stock market to stay above 6000.

sjbraun
02-24-2009, 08:36 AM
"It will be a start."

Yeah, because the last one certainly didn't.

:crap:

Steve
Tucson

Tom
02-24-2009, 08:45 AM
It's a good mag. Check it out.

William
02-24-2009, 08:46 AM
http://www.deltacollege.org/org/caps/images/2008_divided.gif

Viper
02-24-2009, 08:50 AM
"Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

William
02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
"Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing."

http://www.cinemaretro.com/uploads/jawshiresphotos001.jpg

Tobias
02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Since when did Republicans become the party of fiscal responsibility, other than in rhetoric alone?Do you know how much of that deficit is due to entitlements we can’t afford “and” that were placed in motion way before Bush or Obama?

Let’s be fair and only critique what a president has control over. Bush added to the deficit primarily due to the wars. Whether we agree in retrospect that they were right or not, they had support from both sides when we went in. And once in, (again whether a mistake or not) we were committed.

Viper
02-24-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.cinemaretro.com/uploads/jawshiresphotos001.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
02-24-2009, 09:18 AM
That was a pretty darn short "hiatus."

BBD

William
02-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I hear the RNC will be handing these out to make the group appear to be concentrating on something before they start disagreeing on everything...

http://www.jawscollector.com/toys,clothing,misc/11paddleball.jpg

;) ;) ;) :D

William

Viper
02-24-2009, 09:23 AM
That was a pretty darn short "hiatus."

BBD

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-37025177803217_2038_50834327

:cool: