PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Torque and Carbon Fiber Tubes

97CSI
02-22-2009, 01:11 PM
About have the Lemond Zurich built up, but need to tighten the FD clamp and am not sure of the spec for same. Would be a shame to over-tighten and ruin the frame due to my ignorance. Anyone know what mfgs are suggesting for torque on larger grpahite/carbon fiber tubes, like the Zurich seat-tube?

Also, anyone happy with a reasonably priced inch-pounds torque-wrench they could recommend. Am quite familiar with SnapOn and Craftsman, but would be interested in alternatives. Thanks.

sokyroadie
02-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I am amazed after buying the Ritchey torque key how tight 5 Nm actually is. I thought I was tightening the stem pretty snug, but boy was I wrong. I think the Carbon tubes can take a good snug tightening without any issues.

BTW - It is a handy tool to have.

Jeff

Peter P.
02-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Front derailleur clamp bolts should be torqed to 44-60 in/lbs. per Lennard Zinn's book, Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance.

I don't have a recommendation on a torque wrench.

Bob Ross
02-22-2009, 05:28 PM
44-60 in/lbs is also the recommended torque for the FD clamp as per the bright yellow warning sticker that adorns the seattube of my wife's Cannondale Synapse Carbon.

97CSI
02-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks to all. I just found an owner's manual for the Lemond and purchased. The seller was kind enough to look it up before mailing. Also, picked up a 10-100 inch-pound 1/4" torque-wrench with a set of metric hex-wrench drivers for $50. Should be good to go. Think I'll torque everything, this being my first carbon fiber bike.