PDA

View Full Version : Pedal Pa

OldDog
12-07-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm considering signing up for Pedal PA's cross state ride next summer, doing the southern route, from the Pittsburg 'burbs to the Philly 'burbs.

Has anyone done any trips with this company, say in the last three years or so? What do you think of their services?

Is there a New York crossing trip by any touring company?

Thanks for the input.

OD

Ray
12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm considering signing up for Pedal PA's cross state ride next summer, doing the southern route, from the Pittsburg 'burbs to the Philly 'burbs.

Has anyone done any trips with this company, say in the last three years or so? What do you think of their services?

Is there a New York crossing trip by any touring company?

Thanks for the input.

OD

I did the same Pedal PA Pittsburg to Philly ride, but it was back in '98 and the outfit has changed hands since then. I think the new owners were involved in running the tours back then, though, so it probably isn't too different. (edit - a lot of the staff are the same even though the owners are different). They're fairly good sized tours - I think it was about 200-250 riders when I did it. A real variety of cyclists, from the hammerheads who'd get into pacelines within the first few miles and be finished by 1 or 2, tourists on mountain bikes who'd pull in after dinner, and everything in between. You could always find people to ride with, no matter what speed you want to ride on a given day.

You stay in college dorms and eat in college cafeterias, so we're not talking about luxury. Most of the dorms weren't air conditioned, so bring a portable fan. The trip was reasonably well run, lines for food weren't bad, although getting the dorm rooms sorted at the end of the day could get confusing at times.

The riding is great. Really freaking hilly, particularly the first couple of days out of Pittsburg and the couple of days after you cross the Susquehana. A couple of easier days in the middle and the last half day into Philly is no problem. No super long climbs, but some very steep ones and one right after another, so that you feel like you're climbing all the time on the tougher days.

Good luck if you do it.

EDIT: I just looked at their web-site. The route is different this year, more to the south and with lower mileage. They also claim that all facilities are air-conditioned. This is a good thing - it can get pretty sticky around here in the summer. Sounds like the last day they manage to make West Chester to Valley Forge into a metric century instead of a direct not quite 20 mile ride. I live in West Chester and this will be a fun metric - Chester County is beautiful and you'll get to see a good bit of it on that ride. Philly is optional this year so you don't have to ride the Manyunk Wall with wasted legs :)

-Ray

pbbob
12-07-2004, 03:02 PM
ditto what ray said. I did it in 99.

CalfeeFly
12-07-2004, 04:12 PM
I've done about 5 of their trips both the first owner and present. I like the trips and I enjoy them very much.

One nice thing is the current owner of Pedal PA also owns a top rate bike store. So you have real mechanics along that bring parts and the whole 9 yards. Riding day after day can take a toll on bikes.

The dorms have changed a lot since 98. Most all of the rooms now are the new apartment version. Bill is into getting the best accomodations the colleges have. That is why they are air conditioned as well. He also is using a Best Western and Radisson this year.

There was an e-mail sent by Pedal PA with a link to setting up the route. It is very interesting and well written. You will learn more about it.

The people who run it mostly are the same. The big thing is they are nice. It makes for a fun trip.

The group sizes are smaller now. It runs more in the 75 to 100 range. Sometimes less come. I think there are more rides like this now. For example either last year or another a group was doing his basic route the week prior to it. (Someone from that group did Pedal PA and copied a great deal of it even down to lunch stops.)

It is 3 meals a day all your can eat for the most part. The food is good with choices. For the money their trips are impossible to beat.

If you are there look for someone on a Calfee it will be me.

P.S. New this year is doing the last day out of the hotel in to the city and its sites at your leisure or choice. It is a bike trail and lanes mostly right into the city.

OldDog
12-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I have been looking at this trip for a few years now, but have never committed as it seems my summers are booked up before the first of the year. 2005 I actually have a few weeks of vacation to myself. :banana:

sam.g
12-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Does anyone have the dates and web site address for Pedal Pa.?

Sam

pbbob
12-08-2004, 03:20 PM
www.pedal-pa.com
6-25 to 7-2

pbbob
12-08-2004, 03:27 PM
by the way Sam, I will be in cinncinnati over MLK weekend. Any suggestion for some thing to see or do on a Sunday in January? I am not bringing a bike. Last time I was in that neck of the woods in January the bengals were in the superbowl and it was -20! pm. me for any ideas.
thanks, bob

sam.g
12-08-2004, 03:46 PM
The weather could be a factor, but I'd check out the Mt. Adams area and adjacent Eden Park. We have an excellent Art Museum walking distance to the many bars, resturaunts and shops in Mt. Adams. Eden Park and the Krone Conservatory are real gems, I usually make a stop at one of the river overlooks in Eden Park when riding south toward the city and Northern KY. For nightlife, Newport on the levy is hard to beat, completely changed from from your memories of the Freezer Bowl.

Sam