PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a bike for a friend

Skrawny
02-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I just had a friend tell me "I want to try out riding with my friend and am interested in getting a road bike."

When I asked how much she wants to spend she said "maybe $500-600? I definitely don't wanna spend $1000, because it may just end up being a really expensive dust collector"

I am not experienced in this particular price point.
Any recommendations?
I am temped to tell her to buy a $1000 bike and re-sell it for $500 if she doesn't like it.

Thanks,
-s

joelh
02-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I bought my wife an 08 Felt FW-40 in that price range. Sora shifters, which I am not crazy about, but it is really a pretty good entry bike. She is riding 30 - 40 miles a week with me and it seems to be working out well.

sbornia
02-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Check out the Jamis Ventura Sport Femme (http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/ventura/09_venturasportf.html) . List price is abut $600, but Jamis bikes can be found for less. Great bang-for-your-buck imo.

Skrawny
02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
I bought my wife an 08 Felt FW-40 in that price range. Sora shifters, which I am not crazy about, but it is really a pretty good entry bike. She is riding 30 - 40 miles a week with me and it seems to be working out well.

ZW-40 or FW-40?

johnnymossville
02-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Check out the Jamis Ventura Sport Femme (http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/ventura/09_venturasportf.html) . List price is abut $600, but Jamis bikes can be found for less. Great bang-for-your-buck imo.

I'll second the Jamis idea. I bought a jamis ventura elite a few years ago and it's been a great bike for the money. I commute on it.

giordana93
02-19-2009, 11:09 AM
cheaper is probably better.
if she gets hooked, then she can spend the extra money later on a new bike and dump the cheapie or use it as a beater.
as we all know, there is only one thing that matters: fit, for the intended use. if she's really a newbie, maybe a "road bike" is not what she really wants, rather a hybrid with faster wheels, sport-touring oriented model, with short reach and upright position, especially if she has the supposedly WSD body type of short torso, longer legs. don't worry if the bike has cheap components, since they will be better than most stuff from many years ago and if by chance she wears out the chainwheels on the el-cheapo crank with non-replaceable rings ... it'll be time for an upgrade anyway, right?

the second most important thing, of course, is color. and I'm not kidding. (just look at the archived threads about matching bar tape and team kit, etc!)
cheers

paulrad9
02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
How about rent a bike? The first few weekends of riding will help her determine if she's in it for the long haul. Find a shot which will rent for the day (probably $50 /day during peak season) and she can see if she likes it and if she does, she can try out several types..multi use, road, road with Campy, road with Shimano, etc.

Even if she rents 4 times at $200, that $200 is the least she'll lose if she buys a new bike then decides to sell it later on.

If she's bent on buying, then steer her to used, that way she'll have something to sell that is worth buying and she won't lose much money in the transaction.

joelh
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
ZW-40 or FW-40?

FW 40 is a womens specific geometry. It was a bit confusing figuring out the sizing with a sloping top tube. Ended up with a 47 cm, which they consider medium. My wife is 5'3"

rugbysecondrow
02-19-2009, 05:21 PM
My wife bought a used WSD Trek 1500 that was a year old and about half off retail. If you buy a used Trek or Cannondale right and take care of it, you won't lose much on the resale when you upgrade. These brands are marketable and have a strong resale due to name recognition. Like they say in real estate, "you make your money when you buy, not when you sell".

Best of Luck

Peter B
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
There's any number of good used bikes at that price point, or only slightly above (~$700-$750). Lemond Zurich w/ Ultegra, Specialized Allez, older Serottas (Atlanta/Colorado). I can't really comment on the used carbon market at that price level.

If you're local to her and able to help w/ fit and shopping used can be a good way to go. Allow a few additional dollars for a new chain/cassette/cables and figure a stem/saddle swap as needed to get things dialed in. Try Ebay, Craigslist and this forum for leads.

Good luck!

toaster
02-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't get involved.

Best to let them figure it out and buy the bike and if it's wrong and they still want to ride then they must have gotten hooked on it.

I've found that I have a passion for riding and usually beginners don't or never get it.

The cream rises to the top.

giordana93
02-19-2009, 09:14 PM
There's any number of good used bikes at that price point, or only slightly above (~$700-$750). Lemond Zurich w/ Ultegra, Specialized Allez, older Serottas (Atlanta/Colorado). I can't really comment on the used carbon market at that price level.

If you're local to her and able to help w/ fit and shopping used can be a good way to go. Allow a few additional dollars for a new chain/cassette/cables and figure a stem/saddle swap as needed to get things dialed in. Try Ebay, Craigslist and this forum for leads.

Good luck!

see, this is exactly what I meant above: if you get a novice a lemond (at least a lemond from the days when they had longer than average top tubes), you are asking for trouble. she'll be scared to even ride it and likely never be comfortable on it. and with ebay or the forums, you can't do the essential TEST RIDE.
used is ok, but not a used race bike. think more rivendell fit. and don't discount a good bike shop's expertise here. think long term, not short, which leans more to a cheaper, new bike. there will be time for a serotta perhaps, but later

Joe Cyclist
02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
You need to find a really good LBS and I don't mean one that stocks mostly high end bikes, but one that regularly sells $500 - 600 bikes and can advise customers on them.

Your friend sounds like a beginner which probably means that she'll have to spend another $100 - $200 on accessories to help enjoy riding (think helmet, gloves, shorts, cage, bottle, spare tube, tools, etc.). The advice she gets from an LBS is well worth the additional cost of a new bike vs. a used one.

Also, she'll need to go to the LBS anyway when the cables stretch, brakes squeal or wheels go out of true.

Maybe you can ask the forumites for recommendations for a good LBS in her neighborhood because unfortunately, there are also a lot of not-so-good LBS out there.

Kevan
02-20-2009, 10:39 AM
buy used.

Skrawny
02-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Maybe you can ask the forumites for recommendations for a good LBS in her neighborhood because unfortunately, there are also a lot of not-so-good LBS out there.

Good idea.
She lives in the Green Hills region of TN (37205). Anyone out there have recs of good/trustworthy LBS?
-s

Skrawny
02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I think I rode with the guy from Harpeth Cycles once, he was a nice guy (posts on here occasionally too). Maybe I'll see him at NAHBS
-s