PDA

View Full Version : Ahneida Ride Handlebar Tape versus Selle Anatomica Watershed Leather

dekindy
02-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Ahneida Ride Handlebar Tape versus Selle Anatomica Watershed Leather.

Selle Anatomica will be at NAHBS and I was wondering how their tape compares to his or if it is even similar.

Smiley
02-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Anheida tape is sold in Frns and since its the only sxxxwrap on the market its second to none I'd say. Saw it in person and its good stuff.

William
02-19-2009, 08:49 AM
I believe a major internet bike/parts seller compared the AR wrap to the Anatomica and preferred the AR product.

It's the best wrap out there in my experience. I just got some "Guro William" Orange and will be wrapping the Zank soon. Love it!!

William

Dekonick
02-19-2009, 08:52 AM
You won't find better wrap than AR wrap.

Ahneida Ride
02-19-2009, 09:23 AM
There just might be a bike in AR wrap, who knows? ;)

;) :D :banana: :beer: :rolleyes: :)

Cantdog
02-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Where can one get this Anheida Ride tape? From Aneida?

Ahneida Ride
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Where can one get this Anheida Ride tape? From Aneida?

I am working on an e-commerce site as we speak ...

again I apologize for the delay ... It's just as frustrating to me too. ;)

Bruce K
02-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Good things come to those who wait.....

Patience children. Anheida is working dilligently to br able to provide for all soon.

Trust me, it will be worth the wait.

BK

PS: My Obenauf's Leather Treatment has arrived and today is "Goop Day" as I waterproof my first set of the dark blue wrap.

gutefahrt
02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
So creepy. I was about to post almost the same question, but throw in Brooks for comparison as well. I'm using a brown Specialized Phenom saddle and can't find a good color match in synthetic wrap. I gave up trying to find Fizik tape in brown.

Pics of the brown tape AR posted didn't look dark enough, but the Selle Anatomica stuff looks good. I can't find any reviews of it, however. Has anyone used the stuff?

Ahneida Ride
02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Yes ..

A dark "antique" brown is available.

I have about 10 colors. The color spectrum is very full.

gutefahrt
02-19-2009, 11:34 AM
AR, would you please post a pic of the brown? And what adhesives are you recommending for wraping? Thanks.

William
02-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Honestly, I use to use an Orange Cinelli cork wrap on my orange & black Zank. I am a stickler for color coordinating the bike. When I received the first protos of AR's wrap they were a dark honey color. It felt so dang good I didn't care that it didn't match. Now he has orange available and I'm back on the color matching band wagon. :banana:

William

Bruce K
02-19-2009, 11:39 AM
NO adhesives needed.

Just start the first overwrap correctly and the stuff just stays where you wrap it.

I'm not talented enough to use string or fabric to finish the stuff, but the electrical tape looks OK (at least on my black stuff).

BK

dekindy
02-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Bruce K mentioned putting leather treatment on the tape and gutefahrt asked about adhesives.

What are the standard operating and care instructions for Ahneida Ride tape and also what is optional?

BTW - I am referring to it as Ahneida Ride tape. Did you ever come up with a name?

William
02-19-2009, 11:51 AM
No adhesives. Straight like Bruce said, or with a layer of athletic/hockey tape underneath (what I did). Holds great.

William

Ahneida Ride
02-19-2009, 11:55 AM
AR, would you please post a pic of the brown? And what adhesives are you recommending for wraping? Thanks.

First wrap with athletic tape available at any drug store ....
or use hockey tape. this way you can reuse the wrap.

Personally I double wrap. First with cheapo (scraps work well too)
cork tape. Then the leather. This provides an NICE firm backing.
I highly recommend this option.

Brian Smith at Serotta did my bars ... Thanks Brian !!!!!

Liberace
02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
I can't wait for the site to open. I've got a grey and purple paneled Zank itching for the Purple wrap.

Louis
02-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I am working on an e-commerce site as we speak ...

again I apologize for the delay ... It's just as frustrating to me too. ;)

I'm curious about this:

In this day and age of digital cameras, instant web sites and PayPal why is going live with a small e-commerce operation so complicated?

If there isn't a business out there to help folks like Ray there sure ought to be, or if they exist it seems to me that they are not doing a very good job. This looks like a HUGE business opportunity. Much more lucrative than selling the tape itself...

Louis

Bruce K
02-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Some type of leather treatment / waterproofing is a must if you want to protect your investment.

Obenauf's or Proofhide (the Ob's is cheaper) both work really well.

Expect to spend about an hour of your time smearing it on, rubbing it in, and heating with a hair dryer (or the like) to ensure proper penetration.

You have to do inside as well (but not as thoroughly).

After hanging overnight, I re-heat and wipe off any excess.

Then you are ready to wrap.

The result is a comfortable, durable (as in almost bullet-proof), grippy wrap that you will want on all your bikes.

BK

maunahaole
02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Ray recommends Obenauf. I used the better part of a small tin of the brooks stuff treating mine. A big 8 oz. tub of obenauf costs the same. The tape is thirsty so be generous and get it on there. Wear some rubber gloves, as there is a little bit of color bleed during the process of applying and wipedown after it sits over night. It goes a lot easier if the goop and the tape are both warm.

I have mine wrapped over some cinelli cork gel tape. The leather has a great feel at the surface and the cork underneath give just enough padding. No adhesive is needed since, unlike cork tape, you can pull and stretch the leather wrap *very* tight when you wrap it on. This makes for a smooth finish and the bonus of little if no creep of the tape once it is in place. Mine is holding fast and I am not a skilled bar tape wrapper.

Ray is justifiably very proud of this product.

Dekonick
02-19-2009, 01:28 PM
He should be. It is the BEST bar wrap I have EVER seen. EVER. :beer:

gutefahrt
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Although I'm considering buying a roll, I gotta say folks sound a bit over-enthusiastic about this stuff. Does is speak French?

Ahneida Ride
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
There is stuff like designing the web site, Business cards, Legal stuff,
tracking software, packaging, marketing, mailing boxes,
inventing creative names and slogans, taking images, Pay Pa account,
propriety intellectual capital, and the list goes on and on.

Took me a long time just to come up with a creative name.

Up until now, I've just been focused on being assured that
consistent high quality wrap could be produced that many tested
and liked. That hurdle is over. Time to get the stuff on the door ..
I am moving on this .... Honestly !!!!

A number of Phorumites and Serotta Affectionados are helping me out and this is MOST appreciated.

I'm curious about this:

In this day and age of digital cameras, instant web sites and PayPal why is going live with a small e-commerce operation so complicated?

If there isn't a business out there to help folks like Ray there sure ought to be, or if they exist it seems to me that they are not doing a very good job. This looks like a HUGE business opportunity. Much more lucrative than selling the tape itself...

Louis

Ahneida Ride
02-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Although I'm considering buying a roll, I gotta say folks sound a bit over-enthusiastic about this stuff. Does is speak French?

Sorry, It speaks English & Icelandic only ! :p

French is 6 months from now ... :D

maunahaole
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Sorry, It speaks English & Icelandic only ! :p

French is 6 months from now ... :D

Another positive for the tape.

It understands Bjork.

William
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM

There are a number of people from this forum as well as the forum across the hall (and some who frequent neither) who were Guinea pigs testing Ray's product. Ray was adamant that people be brutally honest in their assessment of the different versions of the wrap. That and the fact that he wants to have the best product available has driven him to really work on development. What he has come up has won a lot of people over. Everyone that I'm aware of who tested it has many, many years of racing and riding experience to compare to other products. The fact that his product has won over so many people says a lot in my book.

The true test is to try it yourself.

Best regards,
William

Brian Smith
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I wrapped the bars on my commuter machine with Ahneida wrap, sans underwrap, and I like it that way. If you are a racing type of rider, you would probably find, as I do, that the padding level is fine that way. It's comparable to a tightly wrapped cork tape feel, like, I have 5" of tape to cut off the end of my roll of Cinelli cork on my 44 c-c bars kind of tight. For the gel/foam underlayer types and for folks who are more into Oury than Obree, you'll probably prefer to double wrap when using the Ahneida material.

stuckey
02-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Pics of the brown tape AR posted didn't look dark enough, but the Selle Anatomica stuff looks good. I can't find any reviews of it, however. Has anyone used the stuff?

I have used the Selle Anatomica stuff, it is so much nicer than Brooks and actually lasts.

Ahneida Ride
02-19-2009, 11:08 PM
A Major Internet Shop tested a certain Leather wrap.

This was the picture they sent me ...

sokyroadie
02-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Is the AR wrap actually going to be for sale at NAHBS as was previously mentioned? If so PM me please :D .

Jeff

maunahaole
02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Ray - what shop and what wrap is pictured there? It looks horrible and also looks as though the edges will get even more raggedy as time goes on. PM or email me if you need to keep the info out of the public area...