PDA

View Full Version : Riding near Lake Oroville, CA (near Chico)?

sbornia
02-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Is anyone in Northern California familiar with Oroville? Looks like it's southeast of Chico near a large lake and wooded area....wondering if the cycling is any good.

maunahaole
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Oroville is methamphetamine central, but the riding near there is great.

Chico Velo (http://www.chicovelo.org/localridesnew.html) is the local club that sponsors the Wildflower Century. Table Mountain and Honey Run should manage to elevate your heart rate a little bit.

Stop by Sierra Nevada Brewery for something to deal with your parched condition afterwards...

sbornia
02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks, I had a feeling it might be a little sketchy up there.

maunahaole
02-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Maybe a little - it is really nice terrain and country though. Great riding.

Peter B
02-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Google the Summer Solstice Century for a 130 mile loop route from Quincy that passes through the east side of Oroville. You could jump on the loop at the lake and go in either direction for some good, remote miles. Hot days in the summer though.

Good suggestion also to check the Chico Velo website for rides.

tuco
02-19-2009, 11:35 PM
There are some good rides to be found in the area. Good rides tend to head away from the valley. Some nice suggestions here already.

Back in the day, there was a longer ride out of Chico that was in some sense a rite of passage.

The Ishi 160 (http://home.comcast.net/~mulliganhill/Cycling/CA_Rides/Ishi_160_map.pdf) is a haul. It can be done unsupported. This sure looks more interesting on a map. Sorry about the PDF.

The Wildflower Century is in a couple of months. Perhaps a good enough reason to check out the area and get some local knowledge.

sbornia
02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks guys. I asked about it b/c my gf was thinking of going to some kind of macrobiotic food center there, and I would have tagged along. If I do make it, I'll send pix and a ride report.