PDA

View Full Version : 09 Centaur Levers - Vague Shifting?

jchasse
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I’m using the new Centaur 10-speed (carbon) levers on my Zank ‘cross bike, and I just can’t seem to get used to the shifting. It seems to me when they moved to their new “smoother” shift mechanism, they went overboard. I really liked the clunkiness of the prior generation levers. The notchy feel and audible clicks left no doubt about gear changes. But these new levers have NO noticeable detents, and make no sound whatsoever. And I just can’t seem to adjust, so I’m constantly under- or over-shifting. I love the shape of the hoods, but this shifting thing is aggravating me to the point that I’m willing to give up the shape to go back to old-style levers.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anything that I can do to change it?

If not, I’m going to give up and go back to the last gen Chorus or Centaur levers…

ThirtyEast
02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
My buddy just got the Centaur levers and has exactly the same complaint.
He says shifting up the cassette feels like an old friction shifter.
I've been using the 11 speed levers and have not noticed this to be true.

dancinkozmo
02-17-2009, 03:36 PM
I love the shape of the hoods, but this shifting thing is aggravating me to the point that I’m willing to give up the shape to go back to old-style levers.

i wonder if you can fit the new hood over the old lever mechanicals ?

jchasse
02-17-2009, 03:37 PM
He says shifting up the cassette feels like an old friction shifter.

That's pretty much it. And the quick shift "feature" means the indexing is super close together, so it's a PITA atmo.

jhcakilmer
02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
I think the Centaur mechanism is different than Chorus or Record.....I'm sure others have the specifics, but I've read that the internals are not the same. I've considered selling my 07 chorus, and getting the new Centaur (alloy), but from what people say I don't think I'd like it.

thwart
02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Dave will undoubtedly have something to add here. :D

But, yes, I think the 2009 Centaur 10 spd mechanism is somewhat different than the 11 spd Chorus/Record/Super Record.

Some folks would say Shimano-like...

GuyGadois
02-17-2009, 07:44 PM
YIKES! I read that the difference between all the Campy brifters were very minimal and that shifting was very similar between them. I hope the Centaur I just ordered isn't Shimano-like. Ugh.

fierte_poser
02-17-2009, 10:28 PM
what was that about pleasing all of the people all of the time...

GuyGadois
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
I like my shifting to sound like my knuckles popping.

jbrainin
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I've been riding both Super Record and Centaur ergolevers for a few months now. The Centaur-equipped bike is my mine winter ride. At the end of last season, just after getting the Centaur ergolevers, I was not happy with the feel of the shifting. After having used them almost exclusively since December, I have become much more tolerant of them and no longer have any complaints about them. I rode the Super Record bike a couple times last week and found that it did shift better than Centaur. But it had bloody well better do so, no? For me, the shape of the levers is so much improved that the diminished click of the Centaur soon becomes a concern of the past.

amator
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
I’m using the new Centaur 10-speed (carbon) levers on my Zank ‘cross bike, and I just can’t seem to get used to the shifting. It seems to me when they moved to their new “smoother” shift mechanism, they went overboard. I really liked the clunkiness of the prior generation levers. The notchy feel and audible clicks left no doubt about gear changes. But these new levers have NO noticeable detents, and make no sound whatsoever. And I just can’t seem to adjust, so I’m constantly under- or over-shifting. I love the shape of the hoods, but this shifting thing is aggravating me to the point that I’m willing to give up the shape to go back to old-style levers.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anything that I can do to change it?

If not, I’m going to give up and go back to the last gen Chorus or Centaur levers…

I tested 09 centaur and it felt smooth but vague. A lot more concentration was needed to shift specific gears. Those coming from Shimano felt at home with it.

indyrider
02-18-2009, 06:16 AM
I believe the issue is bearings(chorus, record, etc ) vs bushings(centaur, veloce, etc).

soulspinner
02-18-2009, 06:24 AM
I believe the issue is bearings(chorus, record, etc ) vs bushings(centaur, veloce, etc).

I prefer that reassuring clunk my 2003 Chorus shifters produce. Faced with going to new shifters or rebuilding the old, Im rebuilding mine. Yesterday while riding I noted theres nothing more I want from my shifters-love em...

dancinkozmo
02-18-2009, 07:16 AM
ive got '97 chorus (last of the pointy hoods), '03 chorus and 105/ultegra drivetrains on three of my bikes and ,to me, the '97 chorus still feels the best of the lot . clunky goodness !

thwart
02-18-2009, 07:22 AM
I like my shifting to sound like my knuckles popping. Your mother would tell you to go to single speed... or up to your room. ;) :D