PDA

View Full Version : How to organize a charity ride?

Chad Engle
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
I need some assistance in determining how to set up a charity ride. My plan is to hold it on a crushed limestone type trail system to keep it off of the streets. I have two different options locally, one with more parking than the other and easier to access via bike than the other.

Not a mass start but start anytime between say 7 am to 9 am. Set up check points with water and food say every five to ten miles. Probably a max distance 50 miles. So final check point would be at 25 miles. Obviously folks could choose whatever distance they like.

I would like to find corporate sponsorship to cover the cost of whatever swag I decide to give out so that 100% of the funds raised go to the cause. It is a cause that I am already involved in raising funds for. My thought is to combine cycling with the cause and in an effort to have more fun and raise more money.

Questions running thru my head at this point:

Does one need permission to use local public trails in such a manner?
Insurance? If so, how much needed and what does it cost generally?
Waiver of liability forms? Where to get a sample?
Am I in over my head already?
How many volunteers would I need?
Does my plan as outlined above sound reasonable?
Is there money to be made/raised in selling a ride specific jersey? (that sounds like a headache)

I'm open to any and all constructive criticism and advice. I'm not looking at starting another RAGBRAI, just having fun, raising awareness and money.

Thanks all.

Chad

Bruce K
02-18-2009, 05:28 AM
PM me and I can tell you what we did to start our Pedal for Parkinson's ride.

BK