PDA

View Full Version : Saddle re-covering ?

old & ugly
02-17-2009, 06:12 AM
I'd appreciate some help for a punctured saddle. One of the kids surfboards fell on my Scott and 'only' hit the saddle. A fin punctured my Selle Italia SLR right in the middle and made a V cut about 1/2' x 1/2".
What to do ? I sort of remember something here a while ago ?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

SpeedyChix
02-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Depending on the cut, you might be able to get it closed up with tubular glue.

William
02-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Tough subject. In the end ( :) ) you’ll probably just want to get a new saddle. Short of a spray adhesive, any type of glue that you might use could harden in a clump under the leather and then you’ll have a really uncomfortable saddle.

A piece of appropriate leather and spray adhesive might work for a while but I don’t think it will be a long term solution. Stitching could work but again you might end up with an uncomfortable lump.

I’m all for creative solutions, but I think on this one new is the way to go.

William

SpeedyChix
02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
One other thought, IF you have access to a very good upholstery person / materials you could probably get it recovered. But then you're probably looking at more $$ than a new saddle.

false_Aest
02-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Take it to an upholstery place.

T

Birddog
02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Doesn't Billy Mayes market a product that'll do this for ya? Ride less, watch more TV.

Birddog

Frustration
02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Getting it recovered should cost about 20 bucks for a basic SLR... An auto upholster will very likely have a scrap piece that they can wrap over and glue the edge.

zap
02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I recovered my wife's flite saddle a year or two ago with excellent supple leather. It was so supple I didn't think it would last but it has.

At the time I posted info & pictures in this forum.

If you want skin (I have enough for 10+ saddles), send me a pm with dims and mailing address.

SpeedyChix
02-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Here's the thread Zap referred to (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=28681)

Wow, nice job. Also on that Fizik that guyintense recovered. Makes me think, I've got a good condition Fizik that could use a recover if I get tired of how it looks. CX isn't overly kind to seats.

William
02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
I forgot about that. I stand corrected.

William

Steve in SLO
02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I did one with contact cement a few years back on a mountain bike. Worked great. I brushed on both leather and the base in a thin coat. Just make sure you wait until the glue no longer feels tacky and that you have the leather lined up just right or you're scr#wed.

old & ugly
02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
You guys are great, the 're-skinned' post was the one I remembered but thought it was 're-covered' and that's why it didn't search. Thanks for the links and I'll be following up on the offer for a scrap or leather. If anything out of the ordinary on this developes, I'll post again !

cody.wms
02-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I recovered a Turbo using the 3M spray adhesive. Just pull the old leather off, use it as a template to cut the new piece, spray the new leather and the foam with the adhesive, let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes to tack, combine.

Worked well until the shell of the saddle cracked. Oh well, it lasted for several years.

rustychain
02-18-2009, 04:58 AM
I have done several saddles over the years. Its not hard. You need some thin upholstery leather. Remove your old leather being careful not to tear the foam layer. If you want to replace the foam as well I have had good luck using foam from an anti fatigue mat as its thin and dense. I apply the foam over sized with spray adhesive. Make sure you mask anything you don't want glue on. I trim the foam after with a razor blade knife. I then mount the saddle on an old seat post and put that in a vise (you will need both hands). I spray the top of the foam with two light coats of glue and the same for the underside of the leather. Let it dry until tacky. Stretch the hide over the foam pulling it down hard at the edges. I then flip the saddle over and apply contact cement to the edge of the leather and about 3/4 of an inch around the bottom of the saddle. Let it dry. Pull the leather and press firmly to the underside of the saddle. Trim carefully with a razor blade, you may need to slightly pull up the leather near were you cut but just press it down well when done. If everything is done right let it dry for at least a day. I have done this as I said several times and put as much as three seasons of wear on my reupholstered saddles without any issue.

SpeedyChix
02-18-2009, 08:38 AM
What weight / oz hide range is best? Pigskin or other?

Thanks!

rustychain
02-18-2009, 09:31 AM
For white colored leather pig skin is the best but almost any thin leather will work. The thinner it is the less problems stretching over complex shapes but it also reduces durability. I often use leather from discarded items, one from a purse my wife no longer wanted and one from a friends leather sofa that was being tossed out. I have also found bits at my local fabric store and its nice as you get a feel of how the leather stretches. Avoid leather that has lacquer over it, it does not wear well

SpeedyChix
02-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Excellent! Thanks.