PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Bound--racing and riding?

Cantdog
02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I'll be moving to Louisville later this year. I know they have a cross USGP, but other than that, how active is the racing scene? Will I be able to live in the city and go out for daily training rides easily? How friendly is the city and surrounding area to bikes?

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to race(dependent on workload) but are there regular races within the Louisville area?

Also, any suggestions on places to live? I'd like to be able to commute by bike to the UofL Hospital Complex.

sokyroadie
02-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Many years ago I lived rode and raced in the Louisville area. Some of the best riding is either North in So. Indiana (Floyd Knobs area) or the East end of Louisville. Other areas are not too bad either. If you are looking for an excellent shop and race team Clarksville Schwinn (across river in Clarksville IN) is tops. For racing info:
http://www.2wheelsports.com/

The Old Louisville area is a beautiful historic area just south of downtown that would be close to UL hospital.

Jeff

witcombusa
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Heading out of the City NE along River Rd, then taking Rt. 42 through Prospect, Goshen, Greenhaven. This is a great ride out through horse country.

slugbottle
02-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Louisville Bike Club could very well be the most active club in the country. Sometimes more than 100 riders show up for a ride, and there's literally a ride a day, with weekends sporting more than one a day. Also have a group called Mad Dogs that rides centuries each weekend spring through fall, I believe. I'm sure there are racers in that club.

rugbysecondrow
02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I lived in Louisville for a few years and really enjoyed the city (would love to move back). I didn't bike there (not into it yet), but think you will enjoy the city. I recommend the Old Louisville area or the Highland area. Beautiful houses, walking distance to bars, restaurants, shops and parks.

Cheers

Clydesdale
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
lived there 3 years...

seneca park - nice crit style loop with some good short climbs

if it is still accessible - the river road loop out into the countryside - fantastic.

There used to be a pretty decent little shop on bardstown road, they could help if still there?

Joel
02-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Awesome place to ride! We lived there for three years from '92-'95. Lots of great roads that go up and down the bluffs to the Ohio river. Many of these climbs are pretty sharp (it is like they just poured cement down the hill w/o grading!).

We lived on the east end of town in Prospect. From there numerous rides could be created, from lightly rolling, to almost endless climbing.

If you don't have any luck with the local clubs, then PM me and I'll see if I can recreate some of the rides.

Enjoy!

Joel