PDA

View Full Version : Best Bike clothes in/or around Seattle?

mikki
02-16-2009, 09:59 AM
We are currently IN Seattle; having a great time! Weather is pretty cold for us weenie southern californians, but refreshing. We are staying on the waterfront; view is great. These little "duck" touring bus/boats are a scream, aren't they? (didn't have these when I lived up here). We were next to one of them at a stop sign and everyone on the bus was singing a Bruce Springsteen song and dancing in the isles. Brings back memories of Haight-Ashbury times...

Question: Visited Elliott Bay Bicycles...wow! the collection of bikes are amazing as are the custom Davidson's bikes!! We would like to find a bike shop that has the largest amount of bike clothes while we are here. Would that be Greggs? If so, which location? We plan to also visit Sammamish Cycles in Redmond; that shop sounds so interesting.

The weather is gorgeous this morning!! And, we've been lucky to have eaten great salmon twice in two days. Yumm. It's crab tonight.

You forumites are so awesome; thank you for sharing what you know; REALLY appreciate it.

dsteady
02-16-2009, 10:24 AM
If you want a large-ish selection of cycling clothes and quickly, then Gregg's Geenlake is probably your best bet. They are usually pretty well socked with arm warmers, knickers etc. Some don't like them because they are the BIG shop around here, but they are a local business.

There is also Montlake Bike Shop (a Serotta dealer) at 2223 24th ave -- a little bit closer to where you are I think. Very nice folks. Smaller selection of clothes, but I was in there a couple weeks ago and they had a lot of winter riding gear on the shelves.

The weather report says dry and partly sunny all week so happy riding!

daniel

bigbill
02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
REI. Good weather today, heading out after I watch the TOC. Yesterday was cold and breezy and I thought I would get rain at any moment but it held off until I got home.

dave thompson
02-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I'll second REI (the downtown location) for a huge selection of cool/cold/wet weather clothes for bikes and hikes.

Ozz
02-17-2009, 11:01 AM
If you head out to Redmond to visit Samamish Valley Cycles.... time your visit so you can have lunch or dinner at "Pomegranate Bistro" (http://www.duparandcompany.com/pomegranate-bistro/index.php)

Very tasty stuff....

Swing by the velodrome at Marymoor as well.....it is just across the street.

There is also an REI nearby if you are planning a visit there as well.

mikki
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey Ozz:

We DID visit Sammasish cycles and they are soooo cool! Loved their range of bikes and clothes and the guys were fun to talk with. Would definately be my bike store if I lived on the eastside.

Speaking of living on the eastside, WOW has it grown up. I can hardly believe it!! Didn't recognize Bellevue...it looks like a mini-Seattle! I think I would love living on the eastside rather than Seattle proper. Redmond is the kind with three bike shops within a three block radius. Most bike friendly city in the Pacific Northwest, yeah I saw the statue at the beginning of the city.

What a great place this area has become. And it is a breath of fresh air to be away from the doom and gloom of the southern California business climate. The PNW doesn't seem to be taking the hit anywhere close to what we are. Every other store down there seems to be empty and the papers hardly have any news other than gloomy stuff. Nice to be here.

Thanks for all of your wonderful input. I told the bike guys at Sammaish about who told me about them; we looked my "Calling all Seattlites" thread so I could do that.

And you all made our trip fantastic!! We tried several of the eating places and LOVED everything.

What a great forum.

LilBolt
02-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Sorry I missed your thread earlier. Ozz was right on w/ recommending Pomegranate. Glad you made it to SVC, good guys who I have happily handed many $'s over to. Also, they have done a good job getting some nice bike wear for ladies. I love the wool tweed Sheila Moon jacket. Enjoy the rest of your trip.