PDA

View Full Version : A TOC story to end all TOC stories

Elefantino
02-16-2009, 09:50 AM
So we're in Santa Rosa yesterday, chilling (literally) between the women's crit and the men's finish. My father-in-law is watching Daytona at a local pub and I'm wandering the bike expo when I see a tent marked "Tour de France."

Fade to flashback...

In 2003, on the rest day of the Tour, we climbed Mont Ventoux. It was about 90 degrees in the Provence that day, and sunny. I wore my pink Mercatone kit. We get to the top and it's about 45 degrees and misty. Really, really cold. I stop long enough to get my medal, have my picture taken on the roof (above the 1912m sign), and to buy an ugly red windbreaker for the descent because I don't want to, um, die. We get to the bottom, shed our clothes, pack our bikes and hit the TGV for the ride back to Paris and home.

I left the windbreaker, unfortunately, somewhere, lost, never to be found.

Fade back to present ...

At the TdF booth who do I see but the owner of Custom Getaways, Chris Tardy, and his friend, business partner and former nationally-ranked tri guy George Altieri at the TdF booth. Custom is the outfit I went with in 2003 and is now the U.S.'s only official Tour tour provider (Aside: I give them my highest vacation rating, ever; PM me for further endorsments) and Chris and George and I caught up on things, reminiscing about our great trip and how George pulled me up all those cols. Because it was sub-arctic yesterday in Santa Rosa, I asked Chris if he was cold (he lives in Florida half the time) and he said that is why he was wearing his red Mont Ventoux jacket.

Hey, I said. I had one just like that that I bought the day we climbed it but I lost it.

Long pause.

"Someone left this one in the van that day," he said.

Yep. It was my windbreaker.

We all fell over laughing. And, to show you that a good tour host always thinks of his customers first, he immediately peeled off the jacket and handed it to me.

Nearly six years later, I have my windbreaker back. Unfortunately, it's an XXL, because that's all they had that day. But it's not meant to be worn, I guess. I think I'll frame it!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Joellogicman
02-16-2009, 09:57 AM
We get to the top and it's about 45 degrees and misty. Really, really cold. I stop long enough to get my medal, have my picture taken on the roof (above the 1912m sign), and to buy an ugly red windbreaker for the descent because I don't want to, um, die. ...Because it was sub-arctic yesterday in Santa Rosa, I asked Chris if he was cold (he lives in Florida half the time) and he said that is why he was wearing his red Mont Ventoux jacket.

40s and misty qualifies as sub-arctic only for you folks out on the West Coast and in Florida.

Fortunately we had clear skies in Chicago yesterday, but the thermometer never cleared 32 and there was a pretty strong wind coming out of the north west. Nevertheless was on the bike for three hours in a sweater and mole skin trousers.

William
02-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Cool story, thanks for sharing. :cool: :beer: :)

William

OldDog
02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
XXL in cycling gear is a medium in real world jackets!

Chris
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Best story I have read in a while.

TMB
02-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Good story, but ...................

I have to agree.

40's F -- sub-arctic???

Uuummm, nope.

rwsaunders
02-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Good Karma in that story.

Lifelover
02-16-2009, 02:17 PM
It's a small world!

jeffg
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
and for all the Norcal weather doubters, high 30s and pouring rain is way worse than 20s and dry ...

As LA posted yesterday:

"Holy hell. That was terrible. Maybe one of the toughest days I've had on a bike, purely based on the conditions. I'm still freezing."

Oh, and Elefantino is a FL man, I believe? ....

Joellogicman
02-16-2009, 04:18 PM
and for all the Norcal weather doubters, high 30s and pouring rain is way worse than 20s and dry ...

As LA posted yesterday:

"Holy hell. That was terrible. Maybe one of the toughest days I've had on a bike, purely based on the conditions. I'm still freezing."

Oh, and Elefantino is a FL man, I believe? ....

Rain and cold is real bite. Especially if you are not wearing the right gear. Gear that is too impervious, you get unhealthy heat build up. Not enough gear and wet skin can hasten you to hypothermia no matter how hard you are riding.

But neither of your scenarios qualify as arctic. Arctic is the sub-zero fahrenheit coupled with blowing snow we had for days on end in Chicago this January.

jeffg
02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Rain and cold is real bite. Especially if you are not wearing the right gear. Gear that is too impervious, you get unhealthy heat build up. Not enough gear and wet skin can hasten you too hypothermia no matter how hard you are riding.

But neither of your scenarios qualify as arctic. Arctic is the sub-zero fahrenheit coupled with blowing snow we had for days on end in Chicago this January.

Agree (but I never said arctic).

After running in a Chicago snowstorm in below zero temps, you can have arctic -- I am fine with cold, wet & miserable ...

MarleyMon
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Nearly six years later, I have my windbreaker back
What goes around, comes around - good story.

Joellogicman
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Agree (but I never said arctic).

After running in a Chicago snowstorm in below zero temps, you can have arctic -- I am fine with cold, wet & miserable ...

Frankly I don't want it either! Not to sound cavalier about others' hardships, but there were times this winter I almost wished someone dropped a lay off notice and severance package on my desk. If I had to start over again, no reason not to do it somewhere with weather conditions that make 40s and rain seem arctic.