PDA

View Full Version : Rear Hub: 105 vs Ultegra longevity - same thing?

Louis
02-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Anyone happen to know what the functional differences are (if any) between the Ultegra rear hub and the 105? Forget finish or weight, I'm mostly interested in longevity. I was going to get Ultegra, but a buddy has suggested that 105 is probably just as good for my purposes. I've had an Ultegra apart (not the freehub portion), but never a 105 so I have no clue about the insides.

I hate having a wheel go bad due to worn out hub bearing surfaces (cones can be replaced, but not the fixed races can not) but for this project White Industries or CK is a bit spendy.

TIA
Louis

PaulE
02-15-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't think there's a difference for your purposes, as I think most of the differences are in finish and weight. Although there may be minor differences in seals, bearings and bearing surfaces as you move up the Shimano range, my guess is that 105 will hold up fine. None of the Shimano freehubs are rebuildable, but you can flush and relube them with a Morningstar Freehub buddy and Morningstar's re-useable Freehub dust shield. You can also buy replacement Shimano Freehubs. Nashbar has 20% off today if you want to buy a. 5600 or 6600 hub from them.

dancinkozmo
02-15-2009, 08:49 AM
ive had nothing but good luck with 105 rear hubs on my cross / commuters over the years...great durability and smooth operation...if weight/bling is not a factor you cant go wrong w 105

Louis
02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
thanks guys

I'll get the 105

Louis