PDA

View Full Version : Phinney's US pursuit record

LegendRider
02-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Wow! That's fast...

From CyclingNews:

US National Team member Taylor Phinney shattered the American national record in the men's 4,000m individual pursuit on Friday at the UCI Track World Cup in Denmark. Phinney, clocked a time of 4:15.223 in the qualifying round, surpassing the previous mark of 4:19.800 set by Mariano Friedick in 1996.

Entering Friday's competition, Phinney's personal best was a mark of 4:22.358, recorded at the 2008 UCI Track World Championships in Manchester, Great Britain, last March.

Currently, the Olympic record stands at 4:15.031, set by Great Britain's Bradley Wiggins last year in Beijing, while the world record is 4:11.114 – a mark set by Great Britain's Chris Boardman in 1996 using an aerodynamic position now banned by the UCI.

In Friday's evening session, Phinney turned in a time of 4:19.119 in the finals to beat Ireland's David O'Loughlin and register his first World Cup victory this season.

Bruce K
02-14-2009, 04:12 AM
The kid just keeps getting better and better.

And he's pretty humble to boot.

I can't wait to see what happens when he hits the road with Livestrong/Trek this summer.

BK

EastCoastRoadie
02-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Bruce K is right, he does just keep getting better.

Plus, Taylor has only been riding for a few years, so burnout should not be an issue for a long time. He could be the next great American road racer.

wasfast
02-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Very large rewind back to 1977. My PR for the 3K IP was 4:05 on Alpenrose a very steep, shorter track. I qualified for the Jr Worlds team. Winning time at the trials was Andy Weaver in 3:54.

Fast forward to Taylor's time which is very nearly the old National team time BUT FOR 4K! That's just amazing. The kid's got the power and the genes.

Monthly Payment
02-14-2009, 10:59 PM
I sure hope Taylor sticks to doing pursuits. The money is in becoming a road racer but he's such a natural at pursuiting, I hope he become the next great pursuiter who dabbles in the road rather than the other way around. I believe it probably has cost Wiggins on the road but its so great for track cycling to have Taylor in the sport.

I would love to see Cancellara doing pursuits or see Taylor Phinney doing a prologue soon. Cancellara handed it to Wiggins last year at the TOC prologue. Fabian was considering doing the pursuit at the Olympics this past year but passed due to commitments to CSC. I think he would have given Wiggins a tough time had he chosen to.

Taylor's success makes me wonder what Davis Phinney would have been like on the track had he listened to the USCF coaches who wanted him as a track rider.

wasfast
02-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Money wise though, the road is worth much more in terms of contracts than the track. This is from a long time track fan. Taylor looks to be very successful in any area he applies himself to. He has the potential to be one of the all time great cyclists.

jmgorman
02-15-2009, 12:58 PM
And the transition to road worked for him. He got an Olympic silver in the 3k, no?