PDA

View Full Version : Cigars!? Crazy OT question

Lifelover
02-13-2009, 08:02 AM
I know it might be Taboo, but are there any recreational cigar smokers here?

I have never been a smoker (of cigs or cigars anyway) but a couple of times a year when me some of the guys are hanging out and throwing darts or playing cards, some of them light up.

I discussed it wife my wife and her comment was that I was not allowed to be fat and smoke. For health reasons, I'm working on the weight.

I'm 100% sure that I would NEVER be a regular smoker but I'm wondering if it can be at all enjoyable to light one up on special occasions?

If so, what a good starter cigar?

avalonracing
02-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Don't let your athletic dart throwing, card playing friends sway you, smoking is lame.

Why start something that is foul and in no way good for you? You can argue "Anything in moderation is okay". I had an old girlfriend who tried crack with that same logic. (Yes, she's okay... Still kinda stupid though).

Sorry to get preachy. I lost my mom late last year to complications from leukemia treatment. I had the "pleasure" of spending much of the last year at Johns Hopkins where I got to see some of the new cancer patients wheel their IVs outside where they could catch a smoke... Really.
I also got to see a lot of families crying their eyes out as their relatives were dying from lung cancer. I don't have much patience for smoking.

Full disclosure, my father who is an alcoholic (sober ten years) still smokes and has been for over 50 years yet I lost my non-smoking tea totaling mom. Nice huh?
Bitch session over.

kitty4uhig
02-13-2009, 08:40 AM
module set and cater comprehensive psychotherapy on many than 45 discriminative factors and ratios that touch success or nonstarter in the managed services market. The story module include psychotherapy, commentary and ccnp certification (http://www.supercertified.com/certifications/CCNP-349-1.html) recommendations for managed services providers sensing to regain best-in-class execution. "We're achievement out to all corners of our manufacture to describe the best practices that displace victorious managed services providers from those that battle," said Richard Rysiewicz, evilness president, industry relations, CompTIA.

bostondrunk
02-13-2009, 08:44 AM
what avalon said.

I work in the health care industry. If you are thinking of smoking, go visit a cancer center and see the patients.
A good friend of mine, late 40's, smoker, discovered last year he had throat cancer (or tumors around his throat). 3 surgeries later, he now has no tongue, will never be able to speak, eat, drink or swallow, and the cancer is still not gone. His face looks like it is from another planet, very scary to look at. He communicates with a pad of paper and pen, and feeds himself ensure through a line to his stomach, and uses a device to try and keep his throat hydrated. He's gone from 250 pounds to about 90 pounds.

Don't be stupid.

kipjac
02-13-2009, 08:54 AM
...Is the one you never lit up. I work as a health care provider too and there's nothing quite disfiguring as head or neck cancer due to smoking, even if it's non-inhaled cigar smoking which causes more mouth cancer than neck or throat cancer. But it's just as ugly. Picture yourself with a tracheostomy, chronic cough,multiple oral surgeries, loss of taste buds, and cachexia; that's what cigar smoking can bring!

R2D2
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Plain and simple.
Tabacco is addictive as SHEET!.
Stay away.

I worked tabacco evey summer in my teen years.
You would not believe the stuff we sprayed on it.

I have an ex who is an RN.
In her words " The hospital is full of older people who smoked."

csm
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
yes they are bad for you.
but....
sometimes.....

Blue Jays
02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
"...Lifelover wants to begin smoking life-degrading tobacco..."
There is a tiny bit of irony in there someplace!
Smell the frangrance from their cigars and simply walk away.

johnnymossville
02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
A cigar once or twice a year probably won't take many minutes off your life. I used to have a cigar once every couple years (haven't had one in a long time though) and still have a humidor at home to keep some cubans I buy when I'm in Singapore or Canada. More of a curiosity than anything. I like the smoke they put out.

You probably won't become addicted and you might enjoy it once in awhile.

fiamme red
02-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Alcohol is also addictive and potentially fatal in the long-run. Besides, drinking can lead to immediate death (e.g., alcohol poisoning, drunk driving), while smoking cigars can't.

Why aren't similar warnings given here on beer, wine, tequila, scotch, etc. threads?

johnnymossville
02-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Alcohol is also addictive and potentially fatal in the long-run. Besides, drinking can lead to immediate death (e.g., alcohol poisoning, drunk driving), while smoking cigars can't.

Why aren't similar warnings given here on beer, wine, tequila, scotch, etc. threads?

very well said and I agree.

I do enjoy my beer though. :)

rugbysecondrow
02-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Punch or Macanudo is a good starter cigar. Any reputable cigar shop would help you out and make suggestions. Also, you can pick up a Cigars for Afficianados magazine...

You will either love it or hate it, no middle ground really.

I really enjoy smoking a stog a few times a year. Drinking beers, scotch, dipping the tip of the stog in brandy...it is all good. I also like to occasionally dip and have been known to smoke a Marlboro every now and then. Maybe I am a glut, but those are my stripes to wear.

Cheers Gentlemen! :beer:

Viper
02-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Oh smoke a little. One cigar a week during warm months outside is good for you! :)

I enjoy about 25 cigars a year. A Robusto is a type of cigar in terms of length/diameter, lasts about 30 minutes. You don't want a Churchill to start (see chart below). Hoyo de Monterrey and Romeo y Julieta are in stock in my humidor. I'll smoke any nice Robusto. During the summer on a hot night a nice glass of sweat tea, wine, a smooth beer, a snifter of Grand Marner or Port with a Robusto (to push the mosquitos away) along with an AM radio for the Yankee Steroid Game and a good mate are in order.

I don't smoke and golf. I either smoke or golf. A cigar alters the dynamics and I need to focus on the white ball going into the hole. However it affords time away from the ball/chain aka wifey pooh so that you can smoke without any nagging.

TARP is gonna kill you, not tobacco. Enjoy a Robusto and some Battlestar in the sun room you have out back. Reagan knew the cylons were coming atmo:

CaptStash
02-13-2009, 10:24 AM
I love a good cigar and used to smoke one once a week or so while watching a movie back when I was shipping out. I favor the bigger stronger cigars. A presidente would last me pretty much through a whole movie.

But: and this is a big one, at one point I found myself smoking one twice a week and then three times a week and realized I was craving them. There is no question that they are seriously addictive, so be aware that it can quickly sneak up on you.

There ius also the fact that it will make your clothes smell like crap so plan on throwing everything in the wash afterwards. It was fine when I was at sea, now that I hang around civilized folk most of the time, the cigars are a thing of the past. (Although I do have a few good Cohibas squirreled away :beer: )

CaptStash....

Volant
02-13-2009, 10:37 AM
To each his own, but I've never seen the appeal of smoking (anything). I can't get beyond the logic behind, "Why?"

My brother put it best (oral surgeon) when he said, "Smoking is a public display of stupidity."

redir
02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I have about 3 a year. They won't kill you in moderation. It's probably just as dangerous to go for a bike ride in traffic as it is to smoke a few cigars a year or even one a week probably. I don't know much about them but I had one I got in Key West a few months ago with a Connecticut wrapper and it was really good.

rugbysecondrow
02-13-2009, 11:00 AM
To each his own, but I've never seen the appeal of smoking (anything). I can't get beyond the logic behind, "Why?"

My brother put it best (oral surgeon) when he said, "Smoking is a public display of stupidity."

Somethings aren't logical. I used to think biking 50 miles in tight shorts and outlandishly colored skin tight shirts was pretty stupid too. Not saying habitual smoking is better than biking at all, but there isn't much logic you could use to explain why we bike long distances or participate in triathlons other than to explain the "Feeling" we get when doing so. Smoking a cigar feels good too. You could rationalize it and say it is for exercise, health etc, but that is not why you climb the hill over and over again or set out at 5AM when the family is asleep, is it?

RJR
02-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Try JR Cigar online. They offer sampler packs that will let you try several types/sizes/etc at a reasonable cost. I like the Robusto myself...large enough to enjoy the flavor but doesn't take all night to finish.

Viper
02-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Somethings aren't logical. I used to think biking 50 miles in tight shorts and outlandishly colored skin tight shirts was pretty stupid too. Not saying habitual smoking is better than biking at all, but there isn't much logic you could use to explain why we bike long distances or participate in triathlons other than to explain the "Feeling" we get when doing so. Smoking a cigar feels good to. You could rationalize it and say it is for exercise, health etc, but that is not why you climb the hill over and over again or set out at 5AM when the family is asleep, is it?

We're all morons & fools. The goal is to look good as long as you can while doing it. Groom a full head of hair, nice shave, Rapha or JCrew and a cigar. Looking good is huge atmo and we all know a cigar, while much the same in content as a cigarette, is totally different in pace, style and results. :beer:

William
02-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Be a good American....

http://www.stogieguys.com/sg-content/uploads/2007/08/stop-smoking.jpg

Besides, if Rush does it it must be good.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5McglwwTiqg/Rgil-x-PvGI/AAAAAAAAAls/CkP0QKWQFcc/s320/Limbaugh2.JPG

:rolleyes:

William

sloji
02-13-2009, 12:12 PM
"I tried for years to live a clean life and it nearly killed me." James Bond

Ok, I made that up but there is some truth to the law of reversed effort. It's like a guy who tries so hard not to kill his father and marry his mother and yet he ends up doing just that. Sometimes the fates are simply bigger than our plans and thinking we can outdo them by living a statistically wonderful existence can end just as badly as the moron who smokes four packs a day and drinks a fifth of scotch. Cause and effect only limits the factors but the rule of life always outweighs our efforts...and that rule is that once born you will become a sacrifice which brings me to the cigar. After a lifetime of asceticism I can happiily enjoy a good beer and a fine cigar and my destiny is no more disturbed than if I went for a great ride and had to dodge a few cars.

We all have a life wish and a death wish and the cigar is a bit of both rolled up into one neat little package and when you sit back and draw your life in and out and watch the smoke rise up a bit of you is exhausted in the process. It's that experience where life and death meet that a man in his risk finds his meaning.

Blue Jays
02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
We'll have to observe this thread to learn what the official SEROTTA viewpoint is on cigar smoking and it's relationship to bicycle riding.

Viper
02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
We'll have to observe this thread to learn what the official SEROTTA viewpoint is on cigar smoking and it's relationship to bicycle riding.

For you. In the spring I will do a ride report/photo montage. I will bring a cigar, photograph it and then smoke it! :beer:

rugbysecondrow
02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
"I tried for years to live a clean life and it nearly killed me." James Bond

Ok, I made that up but there is some truth to the law of reversed effort. It's like a guy who tries so hard not to kill his father and marry his mother and yet he ends up doing just that. Sometimes the fates are simply bigger than our plans and thinking we can outdo them by living a statistically wonderful existence can end just as badly as the moron who smokes four packs a day and drinks a fifth of scotch. Cause and effect only limits the factors but the rule of life always outweighs our efforts...and that rule is that once born you will become a sacrifice which brings me to the cigar. After a lifetime of ascetism I happily can enjoy a good beer now and a fine cigar and my destiny is no more disturbed than if I went for a great ride and had to dodge a few cars.

We all have a life wish and a death wish and the cigar is a bit of both rolled up into one neat little package and when you sit back and draw your life in and out and watch the smoke rise up a bit of you is exhausted in the process. It's that experience where life and death meet that a man in his risk finds his meaning.

My man!

gdw
02-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, red meat, and fried food are all bad for you and probably caused the untimely death of my grandfather at 99 years young.

Lifelover
02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies from both sides and keep them coming. I suspected there were at least a few closet smokers here.

I suspect that if I try them at all it will be similar to my experience with wine. Until a few years ago, I could not stand the taste of wine. I made an effort to sample and drink some that were recommended by friends. While I still do not care for the taste of some of it, I do enjoy having a glass or two with the right company.

That is my thought with cigars. There is NO chance that as long as I live with my wife and have kids, I will smoke more than once a month and 3 or 4 a year is more likely.

From a health stnadpoint, I'm of the believe that it is excess that is really bad for your. On average, cig smokers smoke almost a pack (20) a day and a cig requires about as many puffs as most large snack food require bites or drinks require sips. ATMO, consuming almost anything 20 times a day is bad for your health. I know 20 sodas or twinkies a day will kill you faster and have often wondered if eating 20 oranges a day would kill you faster than cigs.

bumperjohn
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM
...pay for my toys, have given me quiet times for introspection, and have introduced me to some of the finest people I know. Evrything in moderation.

John

KeithS
02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I asked my Dr. if I got my weight down to 175 and kept my cholesteral under 70 if I could start drinking beer and smoking cigars again. He said no. So I guess I have a life sentence.

When I did have a cigar while golfing it was usually a Hoya deMonteray #1 or an Ashton VSG (virgin shade grown) in the #1. That cigar talk for big mofo. Nothing better after dinner than a nice Arturo Fuentes Hemmingway with a 12 year old McAllen and an ice cube. Sometimes I do miss the good old days...

sloji
02-13-2009, 02:00 PM
I asked my Dr. if I got my weight down to 175 and kept my cholesteral under 70 if I could start drinking beer and smoking cigars again. He said no. So I guess I have a life sentence.

When I did have a cigar while golfing it was usually a Hoya deMonteray #1 or an Ashton VSG (virgin shade grown) in the #1. That cigar talk for big mofo. Nothing better after dinner than a nice Arturo Fuentes Hemmingway with a 12 year old McAllen and an ice cube. Sometimes I do miss the good old days...

Sometimes the choices are taken away, I think Freud's face literally was eaten away by cancer and he continued to puff away. Funny that my signature is "1dman, sometimes losing face is the only option."

avalonracing
02-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Cigars pay my bills...pay for my toys, have given me quiet times for introspection, and have introduced me to some of the finest people I know..

John

You must be an oncologist.

jimp1234
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
A contestant on Groucho's 50's TV show "You bet your Life" has 22 children.
Groucho asked her, 'Why so many children? That's a big responsibility and a big burden.'
'Well, I because I love my children, and I think that's our purpose here on Earth, and I love my husband.' the woman replied.

Groucho's riposte was: 'I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while.'

dave thompson
02-13-2009, 03:56 PM
All things in moderation.

avalonracing
02-13-2009, 04:28 PM
This is 100% true. I would not BS about something like this:
After my post this morning about spending so much time at Hopkins I got a call THIS AFTERNOON from a client. He is a married guy (non-smoker), 30 years old, and has been diagnosed with a rare cancer. The prognosis is poor. It is more a matter of trying to keep him going as long as they can and hope that science quickly catches up with a cure. Until then he has heavy chemo to look forward to.

He would do just about anything in the world to be healthy. I think we owe it to people like him not abuse the health that many of us are lucky enough to have.

Peter P.
02-13-2009, 05:10 PM
My clothes got smelly just READING this thread.

Don't do it.

djg21
02-13-2009, 05:50 PM
I know it might be Taboo, but are there any recreational cigar smokers here?

I have never been a smoker (of cigs or cigars anyway) but a couple of times a year when me some of the guys are hanging out and throwing darts or playing cards, some of them light up.

I discussed it wife my wife and her comment was that I was not allowed to be fat and smoke. For health reasons, I'm working on the weight.

I'm 100% sure that I would NEVER be a regular smoker but I'm wondering if it can be at all enjoyable to light one up on special occasions?

If so, what a good starter cigar?

I smoke a cigar once or twice each month. I will not allow it to become a habit, but I do enjoy a good cigar and a glass of nice port (I don't drink much either). I will not buy cheap cigars, as that would encourage frequent smoking. Rather, I buy good cigars so smoking them is a real luxury. I prefer Fuente Hemingways and smoke Fuente Short stories in the winter (they are a shorter smoke, and I am not allowed to smoke in the house).

As an aside, the owner of the tobacco store I frequent thinks it could be fun to sponsor a cycling team. I'm thinking about it just to see the reaction when I show up at a race wearing the jersey.

palincss
02-13-2009, 05:57 PM

You have no idea just how addictive nicotine is, or how ill it can make you if you aren't already acclimated to it.

Best thing is to just leave it be.

mike p
02-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I used to smoke cigars quite a bit, 4 to 6 a day. Arturo fuente, El Rey del Mundo, Montecristo, La Gloria Cubana. Almost always robustos, shorter torpedo's or piramide's. I even had a small closet upstairs converted to a humidor and bought cigars by the box, about 30 box's at a time. I know it will sound strange to most here but the most enjoyable time of my day used to be 7:30 am in the office with a great cup of french roast and a fine robusto!
When I started bike racing I quit and it does make a difference. I wouldn't recomend anyone start smoking but I'm not going to say it's the worst thing in the world. I'm not sure why smoking always gets such a visceral reaction but I think it's the same people that freak out if your not wearing a helmet! :rolleyes:

Mike

bumperjohn
02-13-2009, 06:37 PM
You must be an oncologist.

No, I am a tobacconist.

John

Ti-Boy
02-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Four cigars a day for me. I know it aint good, but I'm addicted. I could purchase a new custom frame every year for what I spend on just this nasty habit. I'm sure it doesn't apply to this group, but I always get a laugh when some grossly obese person eating fried food deems it appropriate to lecture me on the health risks associated with cigars. Jim Fix died young; George Burns died old. When it's your time- It's your time.

palincss
02-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Four cigars a day for me. I know it aint good, but I'm addicted. I could purchase a new custom frame every year for what I spend on just this nasty habit.

Isn't that sufficient reason in and of itself to caution the original poster against it?