PDA

View Full Version : Top Mount Brake Lever Cable Interference on Small Bars

weaponsgrade
02-13-2009, 01:02 AM
To those of you with 42cm bars and top mount cyclo-cross levers:

do you have any problems with cable interference because the levers are so close together?

Ray
02-13-2009, 05:34 AM
To those of you with 42cm bars and top mount cyclo-cross levers:

do you have any problems with cable interference because the levers are so close together?
I've had a couple of sets on 42cm bars. The cable routing gets a little tight with those things making the bends to the brakes, but not because of the width of the bars. I think it would have been similar on slightly wider bars because the width of the bar doesn't really affect where I grip when I'm on the tops or where I'd have the levers located. In any case, its a mild inconvenience when setting up, but not a big deal. And once in place, everything functioned just fine.

Edit - the picture below reminded me that the tight bend was getting out of the interrupter lever and then down to a cable hanger that was pretty much RIGHT THERE for cantis. If you're using disks or v-brakes, this would be a non issue. And, again, the width of the bars wasn't really issue so much as the cable hanger.

Go for it.

-Ray

xjoex
02-13-2009, 06:52 AM
No problems at all. This is on a 42 ritchey bar. They are teh TRP carbon levers.

nowheels2
02-13-2009, 12:37 PM
not a big problem if you have them angled properly.

weaponsgrade
02-13-2009, 04:01 PM
No problems at all. This is on a 42 ritchey bar. They are teh TRP carbon levers.

Thanks for the pic. So if you squeeze the right (rear brake) lever, but not the left lever, does the right brake cable swing into the left brake cable?

dave thompson
02-13-2009, 04:08 PM
My wife's Calfee has these brake levers mounted with no interference problems.
When one brake lever is used, the brake cable does come against the other cable but there is no other action between the two cables, just a touching. The levers are mounted with them a fair amount below a horizontal plane.