PDA

View Full Version : Hood size question

dekindy
02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
When I purchased my new Serotta it came with 10-speed Shimano Ultegra. I did not even think about hood size. Reading a thread comparing Shimano and Campy one of the differences noted was hood size. After reading that thread I realized how much smaller the Shimano 600 hoods were on my old bike. The next time I went to the LBS I tried a Campy bike and really liked the smaller hoods.

I have small hands so the smaller Campy and SRAM hoods fit my hands much better. Would Hudz or Far and Away brand hoods be smaller that I should replace my Shimano hoolds with them? I think my LBS said that Shimano is going to produce smaller hoods also but I do not recall when.

This is probably a problem that very few of you guys have. But it is a big deal to me. Any advice?

Please, no comments about what other part of my anatomy is small also. On top of everything else I am very sensitive also. :D

BTW - Does anybody know why Shimano hoods are so much larger than Campy and SRAM?

Ahneida Ride
02-12-2009, 11:49 PM
I replaced my old Campy OEM 10 hoods with Hudz Hoods ..

The Hudz Hoods were less pointy, flatter and offered more usable
real estate ..

mandasol
02-13-2009, 12:09 PM
I rode with older 8 speed shimano sis shifters for a long time and a few years ago when I decided on finally getting a new bike I was surprised at how the hoods have seemed to swell on the newer shimano stuff.

Decided to try something different, so I ended up getting a bike with SRAM force and was very happy with the ergonomics, but wasn't too thrilled with the shifting - not that it was bad just didn't suit my old shifting habits.

Sold that bike and now ride one with campagnolo ergo shifters and am very happy. To me at least campy shifting is so intuitive and ergonomics just right for my hands that I don't think I could ever go back to shimano or sram.

If you test rode a bike with campy and was happy with it, I'd definitely recommend going through the effort to change your whole drivetrain. Why compromise your comfort?

happy hands = more riding

fixednwinter
03-04-2009, 10:12 AM
BTW - Does anybody know why Shimano hoods are so much larger than Campy and SRAM?

I'm late to this thread, but I'll put my two cents in regarding this.

Don't know about SRAM, but the Shimano mechanism on their STI is located more forward in the body than Campy. Using the brake lever as part of the shifting lever also tends to enlarge the body.

If you ever get a chance to look inside a Shimano and Campy lever body, the other reason is the number of parts. Shimano has a lot more and in most applications, is non-rebuildable. Campy is relatively simple, almost primitive. I've read that SRAM is simpler still, but again, I have no direct experience with that brand.

I currently have two bikes with Shimano (10sp and 9sp) and two bikes with Campy (both 10sp Chorus, one pre-QS, the other is the final generation 10sp). Curiously, unlike many riders, I don't have a strong preference for either. I find both comfortable and both shift well. I find having different ergonomic shapes a nice change when switching from one make to another.

The fact that they don't shift alike and can supposedly lead to confusion when switching from one to another is an exaggerated notion - at least to me. After the first couple of minutes of using a system, I've pretty much adapted to that brand again.

deechee
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I played with the new DA 7900 at the store the other day, and the reach is MUCH better than the old 9 speed. I haven't played with the 10 speed enough to know the diff off-hand.

Campagnolo is definitely much nicer fitting, for myself and my gf who has smaller hands. I'd go with the full swap if possible.

Anyway, I'm talking more about reach anyway - I'm not sure if the hood size is something I'm affected too much by...

MarleyMon
03-04-2009, 01:32 PM
I liked the SRAM hoods I saw (and handled) at the show.
Fit my mitts much better than my DA 7800.
I'm making the leap.

keevon
03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I have small hands so the smaller Campy and SRAM hoods fit my hands much better. Would Hudz or Far and Away brand hoods be smaller that I should replace my Shimano hoolds with them? I think my LBS said that Shimano is going to produce smaller hoods also but I do not recall when.
To answer your first question...

As you're probably aware, the 'hood' is the rubber cover for the plastic shifter body. Shimano shifters feel wider because they have wider bodies, Campy and SRAM have more narrow bodies.

Because Shimano, Hudz, and Far & Near hoods have very similar thickness, changing the hoods will have very little to no effect on the overall width of the shifter.

lancejohnson
04-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Just to point out, Hudz brake hoods have a significantly different thickness and profile than either the far and near or the OE hoods for Campy, Shimano and Sram levers. The best way to see if Hudz will fit your hands better (which is what they were specifically designed to do) is to test a set. So far the feedback that we have gotten about our Shimano hoods in particular is that the changes to the ergonomics have made the levers significantly more comfortable..

tim10025
04-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I had exactly the same concern about the Shimano hoods. I have large hands, but I like the feel of smaller hoods, probably because I am used to riding a single speed bullhorn bar tricked out with aero brakes, and I like having my hand all the way around the bar. I thought that the new 2009 Campy ergo hoods have the narrowest and smartest grip design by far. I liked the SRAM components, but the grips are thicker and bulkier. Same with Shimano. So that is basically the reason why I am blowing huge amounts of cash on the 2009 Campy Chorus group with a new bike I'm building up.