PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Nelson Vails track frame?

sd76
02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I just picked up a green Serotta Club Racer track frame off of craigslist. It measures 56 c-c with a 54 top tube. Lugged with Columbus tubing. there are two decals that say "N. Vails" on the top tube. Does anyone know the history behind this frame?

BumbleBeeDave
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Here's some research . . .

Looks like he's an airline pilot and lives in Highland Ranch, CO, which is just outside Aspen, though another web site refers to his living near Boulder. I'm sure with a few phone calls and e-mails you could run down some contact info for him.

http://www.elephantrockride.com/riderprofile_2.html

BBD

wasfast
02-12-2009, 09:49 PM
He was one of the great sprinters in the US in the 80's. National Team member multiple times. Olympic Silver Medalist.

BumbleBeeDave
02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I went on the assumption that he already knew Vails was in the Olympics. Maybe I should quit assuming things? . . . :rolleyes: :beer:

BBD

GuyGadois
02-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Actually, he is a flight attendant now (according to Road Bike Action mag). He was always among my favorites growing up. I used to see him ride in Redondo Beach. Not hard to miss.

-GG-

A.L.Breguet
02-13-2009, 05:09 AM
Green and Yellow? He rode for Tempo-Toga of NYC. All of the kit was a flamboyant green and yellow.

sd76
02-13-2009, 06:46 AM
I definitely know who he is, was just kind of wondering if this was some kind of nelson Vails model or actually one of his frames. Rumor is he might be around at the May Atlanta Festival of Speed weekend. Would be cool to get a picture with him and the bike.
Didn't know that he is a flight attendant. I keep an eye out for him next time I'm travelling.

BumbleBeeDave
02-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I definitely know who he is, was just kind of wondering if this was some kind of nelson Vails model or actually one of his frames. Rumor is he might be around at the May Atlanta Festival of Speed weekend. Would be cool to get a picture with him and the bike.
Didn't know that he is a flight attendant. I keep an eye out for him next time I'm travelling.

. . . you should invest in a paint pen and see if he will sign the frame for you.

As for the flight attendant part . . . I just can't imagine having this guy serve me a drink on a plane. I'd feel like I should be serving HIM! :eek: :rolleyes:

BBD

Michael Maddox
02-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah, Nelson was the shizzle. He's super-nice, too.

He's a little thicker around the middle these days, but he's STILL got the Cheetah legs.

Here's a photo of him in Toga kit:

learlove
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Nelson is a flight attendant for Republic Airlines. They are a contract carrier for US Air. In 2005 when my job at US Air was sold/outsourced :mad: to Republic I was forced to fly for them.

Anyway I flew/worked with Mr Vails on several occasions. He is one of the nicest/laid back guys and coolest pro bike racer I have ever met. He told me stories about riding as a messenger then meeting in the park after work to train back in the good old days. Some good stories about racing in Japan also.

If I'm not mistaken I remember him saying he road a 58cm frame (road bike).

Last year I was recalled back to mainline US Air so I don't fly with him anymore but the last time I saw him was late last summer in PHL.

e-RICHIE
02-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Yeah, Nelson was the shizzle. He's super-nice, too.

He's a little thicker around the middle these days, but he's STILL got the Cheetah legs.

Here's a photo of him in Toga kit:

that's an RS that's holding him up in that pic atmo.
just sayin'.

torquer
02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Green and Yellow? He rode for Tempo-Toga of NYC. All of the kit was a flamboyant green and yellow.
Those guys were rockin' Sachs frames, at least in 1980-82 or thereabouts.

Saw an old advert for Sachs frames recently; seems Richie had a deal with Lenny Toga (Preheim, actually, though the spelling may be off) to distibute his output. Not sure how long that lasted.

Maybe e-richie can fill in some details. (Edit: He beat me to it!)

e-RICHIE
02-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Those guys were rockin' Sachs frames, at least in 1980-82 or thereabouts.

Saw an old advert for Sachs frames recently; seems Richie had a deal with Lenny Toga (Preheim, actually, though the spelling may be off) to distibute his output. Not sure how long that lasted.

Maybe e-richie can fill in some details. (He beat me to it!)
it was a 4-5 year deal atmo.
mebbe 20 frames in total.
t-ba had 3-4 of those frames, and one was a road frame.
plus lenny's shop also sold at least 40 frames a year for me back in those days.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3503/3220725326_efafb7a0e0_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/3220724396_4018c8a5b3_b.jpg

johnnymossville
02-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Didn't he do the opening scene in Quicksilver - That Bacon movie about bike messengers?

Best part of the movie!

torquer
02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
t-ba had 3-4 of those frames, and one was a road frame.

I always thought it was T-bar.

e-RICHIE
02-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I always thought it was T-bar.

you could be right atmo -
i can't spell african names very well.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3276073711_c7f18dafb6_b.jpg

johnnymossville
02-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Great pic E-Richie!

learlove
02-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I just picked up a green Serotta Club Racer track frame off of craigslist. It measures 56 c-c with a 54 top tube. Lugged with Columbus tubing. there are two decals that say "N. Vails" on the top tube. Does anyone know the history behind this frame?

I'm pretty sure I still have Nelson's number. Post a pic of the bike and I'll fwd it to him to see if it was his bike. if the number I have isn't current I can call some guys I know at republic that can get me in touch with Nelson.

let me know

torquer
02-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Didn't he do the opening scene in Quicksilver - That Bacon movie about bike messengers?

Best part of the movie!
I had heard that, post-olympics (and probably post-Keirin Japanese sojourn) Vails was the go-to guy in Hollywood for cycling expertese; he even had the Corvette convertible part of the industry uniform down. Bad as the airline biz has been of late, its probably more stable than the movie biz, so its good to see him in his new uniform.

The T-bar nickname, as I recall, was a reference to the cut-off bars favored by bike messengers, as they practiced their points-race/criterium skills threading between taxis and busses. Vails the teenager was unbeatable in sprints when he came up North to Westchester County to do the Gimbels ride, so our only hope was to put the hurt on him on the hills. His appearances became rarer after he began focussing on the track, but he would still drop by occasionally during the off-season untill he relocated to the left coast after '84.

e-RICHIE
02-13-2009, 10:14 AM
The T-bar nickname, as I recall, was a reference to the cut-off bars favored by bike messengers, <cut>

it was his african name atmo.
t-ba
or some such spelling...

Bob Loblaw
02-13-2009, 02:27 PM
That's awesome.

The '84 Olympics was a big boost for me at the start of my racing days. Watching Nelson Vails, Steve Hegg, and Mark Gorski tear up the track and Alexi Grewal and Davis Phinney in the road race was awesome. And who could forget the edible Rebecca Twigg? Was there a male cyclist at the time who DIDN'T have a crush on her?

Great days for American cycling, and excellent coverage compared to last year.

BL