PDA

View Full Version : Training on antibiotics

kgreene10
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I would like to tap the collective wisdom out there, be you a doc or just someone who, like me, has suffered sinus infections.

I started taking an antibiotic yesterday for a mild sinus infection. It was a close call whether to start taking it since I'm not that sick and in fact put in regular training days over the past week. I have two races coming up in fewer than the 10 days I will be taking the antibiotic (doxycycline).

Can I keep training while taking them as long as I shield myself from the sun? Is there any worry about taking the HR up to and past LT?

Thanks for your advice.

capybaras
02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Get this: http://www.saltairesinusrelief.com/eng/saltaire.php

It is better and you can do it every day or anytime you feel an infection coming one. Double salt when you are sick.

dekindy
02-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I recommend the Neilmed products. I use the Sinus Rinse and I have a buddy that uses the Netipot.

I suffered year round from chronic sinus and allergies. Using this once a day and taking an antihistimine relieves all my symptoms. I rarely get a cold or sinus infection now. Previously there were certain times of the year that I got a cold, usually Spring and Fall. You could practically set your calendar by it.

In the event that I do get a cold or sinus infection I increase my daily use of the product to 2-4 times per day. I would estimate the severity and duration of any cold/sinus attack are both reduced in half. Seven days was the normal duration and it now no more than 4. Previously my attacks were so severe that I could not concentrate and could not get much work done. Now it does not slow me down much at all.

Daily antihistime and Sinus Rinse and allergy shots have made my life so much better. I wonder why I waited until I was 48 years old to get it taken care of. Better late than never I guess.

BTW-I used to get ear infections in the Spring and Fall and those have disappeared completely.

thwart
02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
No problems training with a 'mild' sinus infection. The adrenaline is a nasal decongestant.

Of course, nowadays the standard of care for a 'mild' sinus infection is a Neti Pot or similar method of sinus rinse, not antibiotics.
There's this antibiotic resistance issue, you see... ;)

kgreene10
02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Of course, nowadays the standard of care for a 'mild' sinus infection is a Neti Pot or similar method of sinus rinse, not antibiotics.
There's this antibiotic resistance issue, you see... ;)

Yeah, I do use a netipot on a regular basis and upped its use as I started getting sinus symptoms. I also take a daily antihistamine since moving to Austin. But this time, the sinus problems weren't getting any better after 14 days, so my doc recommended the antibiotics. I didn't take them for several more days and then gave in.

So far, I have one vote for training is okay while taking antibiotics. Anyone agree, disagree?

Ray
02-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Yeah, I do use a netipot on a regular basis and upped its use as I started getting sinus symptoms. I also take a daily antihistamine since moving to Austin. But this time, the sinus problems weren't getting any better after 14 days, so my doc recommended the antibiotics. I didn't take them for several more days and then gave in.

So far, I have one vote for training is okay while taking antibiotics. Anyone agree, disagree?
I ride when I'm on antibiotics pretty much whenever I can. I've never been into structured training though, so I'm not sure whether they'd have any affect on your ability to stick to a precise program. No problem riding on 'em though.

-Ray

Viper
02-13-2009, 09:10 AM
I had my first sinus infection of my life a few years ago. After traveling for six weeks in a row around the country and then 72 hours of Las Vegas for the first time in my life, of which there was 8 hours of sleep total (I was able to catch a nap at the Rhino Spearmint) I came down with a sinus infection. I took antibiotics and a nasal spray.

Recently a sinus infection tried to mess with me again. I was prepared. I bought Oil of Oregano and placed drops up my nose and into my ears. It was firewater, like something out of The Exorcist. I would place some Tea Tree Oil on a napkin and sniff it for five minutes. I did this several times a day also using a saline spray. I also put some Goldenseal drops up the nose/in the ears too. Mebbe I caused brain damage, you decide, but I know it worked. I'd ingest some Oil of Oregano/Goldenseal too, a few drops in juice.

Oil of Oregano and Tea Tree Oil are serious business and I would reach for them the second I felt an issue. Here:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/sardi6.html

http://wholeapproachforums.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/259104196/m/1631032001

jhcakilmer
02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't recommend pushing yourself above LT, that mild sinus infection could become more serious. When you push your body that hard, it stresses and decreases your immune efficiency. Yes, even though your taking the antibiotics, you need your body to clear the infection.......the antibiotics and your immune system work in synergy.

On the other hand, from what I understand, light riding can actually help overcome an infection. I'd keep it at aerobic/base or recovery levels.....

Also, I'd recommend taking some probiotic when your on the antibiotic.....which kills all bacteria in your body, not just the infection. The natural flora helps fight the infection or any other opportunistic infection (fungal). Yogurt (dairy, or non-dairy both have the cultures), or you can get a probiotic supplement from any health food store.