PDA

View Full Version : Needed - Ergo Tutorial, Please

97CSI
02-12-2009, 04:10 PM
OK......been Campy since the dawn of time. Well, since I started riding bikes with more than 3-speeds back in '70. But, have lost track of the Ergo models and the mixes that work since 2006. I currently have a couple of sets of pre-2007 10-spd Ergo levers and think they are about as good as one could want. However, I am ignorant of the QS, Micron and newest, Ultra-shift models.
My questions:
- Will QS shifters work with pre-QS FDs and RDs?
- What is the 'Micron' I see on the front some of the latest Ergo levers?
- Will the Ultra-shift work with QS and pre-QS FDs and RDs?
- What is the 'Internal Escape' mechanism. Are these the Ergo levers that work badly, like Shimano. Can only go up or down one gear at a time?

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Dave
02-12-2009, 05:48 PM
The escape model is a cheap, dumbed down ergo lever. Avoid it, it's just about extinct.

The only difference with a QS shifter is less dead travel from the left finger lever.

I've never heard of micron.

The new Ultrashift lever will work reasonably well with earlier year FDs. The right finger lever on the 10 speed models has an extremely light, shimano like click from the right finger lever. A lot of people don't like it. The 11 speed models have a more distinct right finger lever click. Ultrashift lever have an entirely new internal mechanism with no g-springs. They are supposed to require minimal maintenance. They are much easier to take apart if maintenance is required.

Try a search. I've posted extensively on the ultrashift levers.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=52672&highlight=inside+2009+ergopower

97CSI
02-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Here is a pic of a set labelled 'Micron'. Same thing is shown on some of the UK e-tailers.