PDA

View Full Version : Look Keo - Anyone with lots of miles on them?

BdaGhisallo
12-05-2004, 02:22 PM
Just wondering how folks were getting on with the Keos now that they are a few months old. I tried them initially but wasn't totally smitten with the full 9 deg float. But now I hear that there will be a 4.5 degree float gray cleat for this pedal, available in a few weeks time, I am told.

How are they holding up with extended use? Any problems? Still enjoying them?

Matt Barkley
12-05-2004, 09:26 PM
I guess not many poeple have put miles on these bad boys. Bda - why no 'likee the 9 degrees of separation? I am waiting for the 0 degrees before I try them out. - Matt

BumbleBeeDave
12-05-2004, 09:37 PM
. . . I’m also curious about these pedals. Are they worth $220? Also, can you use the present red LOOK cleats with them? :confused:

BBDave

PsyDoc
12-06-2004, 07:29 AM
...August and they have functioned perfectly (knock-on-wood). I have put perhaps just a bit over 2,000 miles on them and the cleats show virtually no wear at all. The left pedal looks brand new, while the right one has some of the "Keo" rubbing off due to clicking-in clicking-out. The transition from my PP206's was a non-issue as the setup and overall feel was exactly as it has been for every other Look pedal system I have used. I am still very happy with them and hope to have 10's of thousands more miles of enjoyment using them.

BBDave: You cannot use the the present cleats with the Keo's. The cleat is a
little smaller, but has more contact area with the pedal. I have had
no issues with hot-foot or anything like that. The only difference I
initially noticed was that the pedals were so light. Are they worth
$220 (or in the $100's overseas mail order)? I guess that depends on
who you ask, but I would rather have Look pedals than Shimano.

BumbleBeeDave
12-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Looks like another item to add to my wish list!

BBDave

iPaul
12-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Matt, I too had issue in regards to the 9 degree float and have since ordered the fixed keo cleats from supergo.

dgauthier
12-07-2004, 12:47 PM
Just wondering how folks were getting on with the Keos ( . . .)
How are they holding up with extended use? Any problems? Still enjoying them?

Hey Bda, didn't you just *rave* at length about your new Time RSX's? As an Impact user myself, I'm curious why you're still pondering the Keo's. How are your RSX's holding up with extended use? Any problems? Still enjoying them?

BdaGhisallo
12-07-2004, 01:38 PM
You are right! I do have the Rxs pedals and they are great, and holding up well and I am still enjoying them. As for the Keos, I did like them but for the full 9deg float and the lack of walking pontoons on the cleat. I am curious about them more than anything. Had the gray cleat been available when I got the Keos I might not have tried the Rxs. The times do have 10deg of float but it is a spring loaded float, with different levels of spring recentering, thus giving an equivalence to a free Look Keo-like 4.5 deg float.

I will probably try the Keos with the gray cleat when it's available and compare it to the RXS. If they feel better then I will probably stay with the keo. I am still on a quest for THE perfect pedal. The rxs gets close and is a vast improvement over the impact but there's still room for further improvement.

iPaul
12-07-2004, 07:03 PM
I too have been on a quest for the perfect pedal. I tried the new RXS and it is an improvement over the impacts. My thing is it just doesn't feel as contacted as a look system and have made the decision to go fixed. Keo with black cleat just might be the way to go for me. Its an individual thing I guess. :)

BdaGhisallo
12-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Lo and behold, I look in the new Procycling mag and they have pics of a new Keo model, the Keo HM. The HM stands for high modulus. The front of the pedal is shaped a little differently and the body has a noticeable carbon weave. They don't seem to be lighter than the present Keo but the price will sure lighten your wallet a good bit. They are set to retail for gbp240 for the ti axle. That equates to about $400 at present fx rates. Now the present Keo TI is about $250 in the Uk and $399 in the US. So if that relationship holds, Look will be marketing a $640 pedal in the US come spring time!!!!

Sheesh! Now that is some bling-level pricing!!!!

dgauthier
12-08-2004, 03:02 PM
. . . the body has a noticeable carbon weave. . . .

It's my understanding that modern carbon fiber reinforced plastics tend to have a somewhat matte, swirly gray appearance (like a nude Calfee frame, or the tubes on a Serotta Nove). The pretty criss-cross weave that consumers associate with carbon fiber is actually somewhat obsolete. However, consumers are so enamored with the old woven carbon fiber "look" that some manufacturers are now adding an outer woven cosmetic layer (that provides no structural reinforcement whatsoever), in order to drive sales. I think that's what we have here with these HM (high modulus or high markup?) pedals. (Perish the thought that any plastic pedal should in fact be cheaper . . . )

I would appreciate it if anyone intimately familiar with the latest in carbon fiber reinforced plastics would correct me if I'm wrong.

iPaul
12-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Can't say I know much about the new carbon stuff, but the KEO's and RXS pedals appear to be simply a plastic injection or compression molded part. They both have your typical gate vestige on them. The material most likely a nylon that is loaded with carbon fibers instead of typical glass. Either way, still tuff stuff. :bike:

Can't wait to see a picture of the HM's. Sounds real nice.

In regards to the Keo cleats, does anyone know why they would have the free arc triangle on the back even though they say a free arc pedal won't be happening with the KEo's?? :confused: