PDA

View Full Version : riding near Healdsburg, CA?

Climb01742
02-11-2009, 04:51 PM
we found a nice little house to rent for a week or so in the russian river valley near Healdsburg this coming june for a family vacation.

any suggestions for riding in the area greatly appreciated. is there a good local bike shop? thank you in advance.

maunahaole
02-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I can't give you specifics, but good riding is plentiful and with lots of variation of terrain and climate. It will be hot there, but cooler as you get up over the hills and closer to the coast. Mornings will be cool, days will be hot.

You are going to have a blast. I know the question has been posed before - look for Santa Rosa area rides and you will be covered for Healdsburg. I did a quick google and found this (http://srcc.memberlodge.com/archive) . Click on starting location, scroll to Healdsburg. If you are a AAA member, stop by a local office in Calif and get the wine country local region map. It has all the roads on it that you will need.

93legendti
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Great riding and great food. Somewhere, I have maps from a Breaking Away trip in 2002. I will see if I can find them.

1centaur
02-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Which bike and how will you transport it?

eddief
02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090207/articles/902070284b

don't forget to have a picnic and play bocci at:

http://www.prestonofdrycreek.com/

no better place to call heaven on a sunny summer day. i love this place.

check out this ride list, scroll down to "Healdsburg":

http://srcc.memberlodge.com/Default.aspx?pageId=225708

maunahaole
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Great wine and wineries in Dry Creek. And Lytton Springs...

I visited Preston a number of years ago and they were doing a 10 year vertical tasting of their zins. mmmm

Pretty much everywhere in Sonoma county for that matter.

Ozz
02-11-2009, 06:15 PM
we found a nice little house to rent for a week or so in the russian river valley near Healdsburg this coming june for a family vacation.....
Nice!
My experience is over in the Napa Valley....Calistoga has a nice little bike shop...cool shoe store across the street my wife goes into while I waste time looking at bike stuff. ;)

Do you have any restaurants picked out yet?

Climb01742
02-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Which bike and how will you transport it?

good question. haven't thought it through. may fedex it to a local shop, as we might spend a few days in SF before or after. why do you ask?

Climb01742
02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Nice!
My experience is over in the Napa Valley....Calistoga has a nice little bike shop...cool shoe store across the street my wife goes into while I waste time looking at bike stuff. ;)

Do you have any restaurants picked out yet?

no real plans yet other than booking the house rental. suggestions on restaurants?? appreciated for sure.

MarinRider
02-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I know Healdsburg well; got merried there and live 1 hour away.

Places to eat:

Ravenous: an institution, a must, the standard. Make reservation ahead of time:

http://www.healdsburgmenus.com/html/restinfo.php?restid=29

Ravenette: Around the corner from Ravenous, by the same owner but a yonger chef. More creative, more down home atomsphere. Best breakfast north of San Fran.

Bistro Ralph: Consistently good food, on the square. Best "local" wine list in town:
http://www.healdsburgmenus.com/html/restinfo.php?restid=29

Dry Creek Kitchen: A Charlie Palmer spot. Good place to take the wife for a special evening. They catered our wedding, but the food is very good but not great; it's not all that... Located in Hotel Healdsburg, they have a world class spa for the wife:

www.charliepalmer.com/Properties/DryCreekKitchen

Barndiva: great outdoor dinning on a summer night. Creative california-world-fusion menu. An after-work bar for the locals:

www.barndiva.com

All above places are within walking distance from the square.

Santi: the best place to eat that no one knows about. It's located in Geyserville, a 15 minutes drive from Healdsburg. Great old school Italian in the same tradition that you will find in Tuscany: understated, simple, but just plainly great. (Geyserville is worth a visit for a variety of reasons, including the winde shop call "Locals"):

www.tavernasanti.com

I also know great routes to ride from Healdsburg, but that will be another posting. If you ride a 56-58 bike, I have plenty for you to borrow. PM and let me know.

Have fun.

1centaur
02-11-2009, 09:47 PM
good question. haven't thought it through. may fedex it to a local shop, as we might spend a few days in SF before or after. why do you ask?

I ask because you care a lot about your bikes, we share a yearning for some California riding, and I can enjoy a little vicarious riding via your trip. Also I've thought about taking trips and what choices I would make with my bikes. FedExing to a bike shop usually wins in my head, since I imagine TSA guys opening a carefully packed case and ramming it shut haphazardly.

tuco
02-11-2009, 10:52 PM
we found a nice little house to rent for a week or so in the russian river valley near Healdsburg this coming june for a family vacation.

any suggestions for riding in the area greatly appreciated. is there a good local bike shop? thank you in advance.
Hi Brother (I did put time in .. in Acton :p ),

There are a number of bike shops in Santa Rosa that are terrific. I know there is a shop in Healdsburg, but I have only spinned by it .. never stopping.

Kick up Google. Enter "201 Center St, Healdsburg, CA" or "Spoke Folk" Healdsburg, and experiment with Google's Street View.

Nice read here.
Training for the Tour of California (http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090203/SPORTS/902030336/1350?Title=Tour_rider_shows_off_Sonoma_County_)

Santa Rosa Cycling Club's site has a list of ten rides. I can add to this thread depending on what others contribute, but in all seriousness, getting a terrific ride in every day will not pose a challenge. Anyway, out of those ten rides, the Geyser's Loop is worth squeezing in (weather-permitting) and the King Ridge ride is indeed epic. You are close enough to Glen Ellen and St. Helena to get up and over Trinity Grade (in the tour last year.. I forget), head over to Spring Mountain / St. Helena Rd., climb Ida Clayton, Pine Flat Road, and Pine Mountain Road. You can do a big loop and go out Skaggs Springs to the coast and return. You can add Ft. Ross Rd. (UP) to the King Ridge loop if you are feeling strong. Coleman Valley is close and most excellent a place to ride through (climb from the coast; on the tour in the past).

I'm cooked. It's a great place to ride. Napa Co. roads are nicer (pavement quality) so don't be afraid to head south and return to Healdsburg via 128.

Summer can't come soon enough 'cept it's dry here.

jeffg
02-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I am guessing Marin Rider will hook you up with rides (and the SRCC website has a great series of rides that you can modify to start/end in Healdsburg).

I concur with all the restaurant tips, but would add that the tasting menu at Dry Creek Kitchen can be wonderful and is a good deal (~$60 for six courses, ~$110 with a glass of wine with each course).

Other nice spots near favorite wineries/end of rides are Underwood Bar and Grill in Graton, and Zazu in Santa Rosa (actually on Guernville Road near Deloach Vineyards). We are members of several wine clubs so you should be able to take advantage of some discounts if you want.

A few highlight routes:

1. Healdsburg>Dry Creek Road>Skaggs Springs>Highway 1 at Stewart's Point>Fort Ross Road>Meyers Grade>Highway 1>Coleman Valley>Graton Road>Vine Hill Road>Wohler Road>Westside Road>Healdsburg

2. Healdsburg Avenue>Alexander Valley Road (through Geyserville)>cross 128 onto Pine Flat Road>Red Winery Road>Geysers Road>River Road>Crocker Road>Asti Road>Dutcher Creek Road>Dry Creek Road>Grove Street>Downtown Healdsburg

3. Healdsburg>Westside Road>River Road>Austin Creek Road>Cazadero Highway (fuel up in Cazadero!)>King's Ridge>Tin Barn Road>Skaggs Springs Road (ouch!)>Dry Creek Road>Yoakim Bridge Road>West Dry Creek Road>Westside Road>Downtown Healdsburg

4. Another way to do King's Ridge (included in #3) with another climb up Coleman Valley (a must if you do not do route #1 --
http://srcc.memberlodge.com/Content/Documents/Document.ashx?DocId=34484).
I did this ride last weekend and it is spectacular! Also, it is only a ~70 mile loop.

Note: Water stops on these rides will be crucial if it is hot, and most of the routes are quite remote, at least for significant stretches --

Route #1: Get water at Lake Sonoma, food at Stewart's Point at the coast, Jenner after descent of Meyer's Grade, Occidental or Graton

Route#2: Geyserville (Jim Town store), Cloverdale (after descent of Geysers), Dry Creek General Store -- there is a fountain after the first summit of Geysers, and many do not drink the water but I generally do or at least dump it over my head.

Route#3: This is a tough one, and likely a Camelbak is a good option. Get supplies in Cazadero before King's Ridge, but there is not really anything between Cazadero and the descent of Skaggs (between those points is likely 6500 feet of climbing with potentially very hot temperatures).

Route#4: Cazadero, water at Fort Ross School (on Seaview after King's Ridge), Jenner

If you let me know when you are coming up, I can probably lead you on a ride if you want ...

If you fly into SF you might consider sending the bike to a shop on the Peninsula like Velotech in Palo Alto (they are a Peg dealer and I can ask).

On the other hand, I have traveled with my bikes all over the world. Use a NOS Scicon hard case. Even TSA would have a hard time blowing this one.

Peter B
02-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Climb-o

What time in June? The Terrible Two (http://srcc.memberlodge.com/TT) runs 6/20 this year. Great ride. If this conflicts with family time, check the links on the SRCC website for other local rides.

There's a number of forumites near that area so maybe we can get a group ride together?

Peter

Climb01742
02-12-2009, 05:03 AM
Climb-o

What time in June? The Terrible Two (http://srcc.memberlodge.com/TT) runs 6/20 this year. Great ride. If this conflicts with family time, check the links on the SRCC website for other local rides.

There's a number of forumites near that area so maybe we can get a group ride together?

Peter

we'll be there june 8-15. would love to meet any forum members for a ride or a beer (or both).

and to everyone who's posted suggestions: thank you! your ride and restaurant ideas are perfect. the members of this forum are amazing.

PoppaWheelie
02-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Take a look at the route for the Wine Country Century. There are some amazing sections of riding...they probably have a map on their website.

willy in pacifi
02-12-2009, 01:53 PM
I ride up there a couple/few times a year on my own and a couple of brevets go up that way.

A great ride would be to take River Road west out to Hwy 1.
Ride south thru Bodega Bay and continue to Valley Ford on Hwy 1.
Return about a half mile north and turn right. This will take you to the Bodega Hwy.
Turn Right on Bodega Hwy and ride for about a mile.
Turn left on Bohimeum Hwy.
This hwy will return you to the Russian River thru Occidental. There are a few rolling hills on Hwy 1 but nothing steep on any of this route. This shoud be between 40-50 miles on great roads.

willy in pacifica

jeffg
02-12-2009, 03:21 PM
we'll be there june 8-15. would love to meet any forum members for a ride or a beer (or both).

and to everyone who's posted suggestions: thank you! your ride and restaurant ideas are perfect. the members of this forum are amazing.

No worries! I am in for at least one ride. If Mrs. Climb is riding, so much the better. Otherwise, drive to Freestone, drop her in the spa (http://www.osmosis.com/), pick up breakfast at the bakery, ride King's Ridge/Coleman Valley loop and meet for lunch in Graton.

tuco
02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
2. Healdsburg Avenue>Alexander Valley Road (through Geyserville)>cross 128 onto Pine Flat Road>Red Winery Road>Geysers Road>River Road>Crocker Road>Asti Road>Dutcher Creek Road>Dry Creek Road>Grove Street>Downtown Healdsburg
Note: Water stops on these rides will be crucial if it is hot, and most of the routes are quite remote, at least for significant stretches --
Route#2: Geyserville (Jim Town store), Cloverdale (after descent of Geysers), Dry Creek General Store -- there is a fountain after the first summit of Geysers, and many do not drink the water but I generally do or at least dump it over my head.

Here's a kml for the loop. If it does not follow the crib sheet directly, then it is quite close. Seems I am the only person who prefers to do this clockwise. The first climb counter-clockwise is a local time-trial of sorts.

The kml is from another site .. edited simply to show the route on the surface rather than floating above. I hope it loads into Google Earth (or ArcGIS Explorer) directly. Start the mapping app. of your choice that takes kml files(3D preferred) and point to the site below (e.g. copy the link and paste it into the Google Earth). Clicking on the link will probably load the coordinates into your browser. Save the file and then load it, etc., etc.

Geysers Loop (http://home.comcast.net/~mulliganhill/Cycling/CA_Sonoma_County/Healdsburg-Geysers-Loop.Relative.kml)

jtferraro
02-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Climbo,

My wife & I spent the bulk of our honeymoon exploring that same area. We did a bicycle wine tour via Wine Country Bikes. This was almost 4 years ago, so I don't remember everything, but do recognize (and '2nd') many of the places others have recommended. I think I kept all my info, so I'll try to dig it up and post back. Wish I was going back out there (someday we will)!

Pete Serotta
02-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Spokes and I did this ride the one and only time I got him out to northern Ca.

Santa Rosa Bike Club also has routes on their web site.

I ride up there a couple/few times a year on my own and a couple of brevets go up that way.

Return about a half mile north and turn right. This will take you to the Bodega Hwy.
This hwy will return you to the Russian River thru Occidental. There are a few rolling hills on Hwy 1 but nothing steep on any of this route. This shoud be between 40-50 miles on great roads.

willy in pacifica

mikki
02-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Aren't the forum folks wonderful with suggestions? I agree with you!!

Sonoma (the city) is not only my hometown, but is a great place for hanging out and not far from where you will be staying. Sonoma County is huge...from the area north of San Francisco over to near Napa. Terrain ranges from cold near the coast to much warmer inland.

Every little cafe on the Sonoma town square has great food and the wineries surrounding the downtown area are plentiful and house GOOD wine!! (and great olive oils).

Kenwood winery, St. Jean, BV, Ravenswood, just a few nice spots to taste. Some good art as well in the area.

Healdsburg area is great also.

Pete is right...Santa Rosa (Levi's home) has a friendly bike club and any bike shop can steer you to a great ride.

You'll have a wonderful time.

willy in pacifi
02-14-2009, 12:11 PM

willy in pacifica

I forgot to mention that this entire ride has only about 4-5 turns and ride along the rugged coast from the Russian River/Hwy 1 to Bodega Bay. I will be riding a 300k next week that has this section in it and it is absolutly beautiful.

willy in pacifica

1centaur
02-14-2009, 12:45 PM
In honor of this thread, I will ride this route on my Computrainer today:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3214317

tuco
02-14-2009, 01:10 PM
In honor of this thread, I will ride this route on my Computrainer today:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3214317
i am glad to hear you are getting that ride in. today, by cold (norcal standards), tomorrow the tour of calif. will see rain in the area. and that cold thing. you are sitting the computrainer outside, right?

brain lapse. how did i forget this? krebs!
North San Francisco Bay & Wine Country Bicycle Touring Map (http://www.krebscycleproducts.com/T1.html)

you can tear your legs off on this ride in which the cars/mile totals a comically low number (climbing portions). b/w climbs? there is some traffic ...
Fearsome Five (http://www.leefamilyportal.com/ff_website/ff_index.html)

ride on... ride up!