PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Width, Set Me Straight, Please!

quattro
02-10-2009, 06:38 PM
In my continuing effort to find foot comfort without going custom, can anyone please set the record straight on which brand(s) of shoes have the widest and tallest toe box. i have a Moron's neuroma and need the width and I have semi-club toes and need the height, I'm looking for comparisons between the following brands: Carnac, Northwave, Specialized, Shimano, Bontrager, Mavic...? I have tried Sidi Mega and the heel is to wide, so I'm not interested in any feedback on them or other Sidi's.. I wish one of the magazines or web site would do an in depth shoe review and set the record straight, so far I'm not aware of any article on this issue. I greatly appreciate your feedback. I'm presently riding Specialized S-Works w/Boa closure 2007 model.

quattro

Climb01742
02-10-2009, 07:24 PM
i have the shimano r215 in wide. my left foot is wider than my right. while the shoe feels wider than a normal width, it's not truly wide, or quite wide enough for totally pain-free riding. my left foot still get rubbed/squished a bit on the outside of the foot. i've heard the new specialized top shoe comes in wide, but how true is the sizing/width? i can't say i'd recommend the shimano wide without reservations.

cp43
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
When I bought my Sidis I tried on 7 or 8 pairs of different shoes from various brands. (Some how I still managed to buy the normal size and not the Mega :crap: ). I would recommend going to your favorite LBS and trying on as many shoes as you can. I went to CycleLoft in Burlington MA, and they were great about letting me try everything on till I felt it fit right.

Chris

quattro
02-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Climb, I asked a LBS to order a pair of the 2009 Specilized Pro model in a wide, they did not stock it, I can understand how difficult it is to stock regular sizes, never mind also stocking wide. They should have it within a week so I'll give it a try on and see how it feels. In MA. the brands I am able to find are Sidi, Shimano, Specialized, Bontrager,some Pearl Izumi but not teh top models, No Carnac or Northwave, two brands I would really like to get my feet into to feel just how wide they are. I might have to place a mail order for both to satisfy myself. I'd also like to try Scott, Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau and Gaerne to name a few more, but from my visits to shops in my area they are simply not available. Shoes like tires are apparently a "regional thing".

itsalldark
02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
The new 2009 Northwave shoes seem to running very wide

bagochips3
02-10-2009, 09:18 PM
DMTs run wide. I dig 'em.

quattro
02-11-2009, 05:40 AM
I owned a pair of DMT Flash road shoes about 3-4 years ago and didin't find them wide enough, I didn't feel the material allowed enough ventilation as well, maybe they have been re-designed, I'll take a look. Thanks!

djg
02-11-2009, 05:45 AM
2008 and 2009 Northwave -- at least the upper model road shoes -- have a very roomy toe box. I have a pair of last year's Aerator 3 Boonen model and the 41 is just as big as my usual 42.5 sidi, but with more room (both height and width) in the toe box.

Alan
02-11-2009, 06:12 AM
You may want to consult a podiatrist or PT who makes custom orthotics. I have custom orthotics in stock shoes and it works very well. Finding a qualified person can be quite a challenge but ask around. The orthtotic can be ground to fit very tightly in the shoe of your choice.

If you are interested PM me and I can find some links of people who do this. I believe that some of the custom cycling shoe companies do custom orthotics in their stock shoes.

Alan

Climb01742
02-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Climb, I asked a LBS to order a pair of the 2009 Specilized Pro model in a wide, they did not stock it, I can understand how difficult it is to stock regular sizes, never mind also stocking wide. They should have it within a week so I'll give it a try on and see how it feels. In MA. the brands I am able to find are Sidi, Shimano, Specialized, Bontrager,some Pearl Izumi but not teh top models, No Carnac or Northwave, two brands I would really like to get my feet into to feel just how wide they are. I might have to place a mail order for both to satisfy myself. I'd also like to try Scott, Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau and Gaerne to name a few more, but from my visits to shops in my area they are simply not available. Shoes like tires are apparently a "regional thing".

after you've tried/seen the specialized, would you tell us what you thought? i'm curious, too, how wide their wide is. will you use them with your custom footbeds from eric?

jasond
02-11-2009, 07:42 AM
In my continuing effort to find foot comfort without going custom, can anyone please set the record straight on which brand(s) of shoes have the widest and tallest toe box. i have a Moron's neuroma and need the width and I have semi-club toes and need the height, I'm looking for comparisons between the following brands: Carnac, Northwave, Specialized, Shimano, Bontrager, Mavic...? I have tried Sidi Mega and the heel is to wide, so I'm not interested in any feedback on them or other Sidi's.. I wish one of the magazines or web site would do an in depth shoe review and set the record straight, so far I'm not aware of any article on this issue. I greatly appreciate your feedback. I'm presently riding Specialized S-Works w/Boa closure 2007 model.

quattro

I to have been looking for an indepth review and have only come up with bits and pieces. I have read that Mavics new shoe line runs wide and more like US shoe sizes. I have also read that DMT's run a little wider and they obviously offer half sizes which a few other companies don't bother doing.

If you find a good review please post it. I've also been looking for cycling shops that carry Mavic and DMT among others so I can sit down and just start trying shoes on. From what their website shows Fit Werx in Peabody MA carries Mavic. I may head down there this weekend to try a few different shoes on.

Oh yeah, Pez did a great review on the new Bontrager shoes you can find it at the link below. I'm not a big fan of the look but their on my list of shoes to try on.

Pez Cycling News (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6671&status=True&catname=Tech%20News)

Good luck
J

djg
02-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I to have been looking for an indepth review and have only come up with bits and pieces. I have read that Mavics new shoe line runs wide and more like US shoe sizes. I have also read that DMT's run a little wider and they obviously offer half sizes which a few other companies don't bother doing.

If you find a good review please post it. I've also been looking for cycling shops that carry Mavic and DMT among others so I can sit down and just start trying shoes on. From what their website shows Fit Werx in Peabody MA carries Mavic. I may head down there this weekend to try a few different shoes on.

Oh yeah, Pez did a great review on the new Bontrager shoes you can find it at the link below. I'm not a big fan of the look but their on my list of shoes to try on.

Pez Cycling News (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6671&status=True&catname=Tech%20News)

Good luck
J

I don't know about overall width, but I've tried on both road and mtb shoes from DMT and found them to be pretty tight in the forefoot. They may be great shoes for some folks but unless they've changed the lasts and patterns this year, I don't think they offer what the OP was looking for.

Dave
02-11-2009, 11:25 AM
People who have real foot problems should consider D2 custom shoes that can be made in any size and width, even different sizes for each foot.

For $30 they will send you a fit kit to trace your foot and make a crush-box impression of each foot, for custom orthotics. If you buy shoes, the fit kit is free. D2 will call to discuss specific fit issues if you place an order. The fit is guaranteed.

I've had my pair of custom D2 shoes for a few weeks. They fit like a glove and provide better arch support than any shoe I've ever owned. They should, since they have the $100 extra cost custom orthotic.

I was a little worried about the fit and even had them ship me a stock size shoe to try on. As it turned out, their 42.5 wide fit me perfectly, so I got a stock size, but with customs colors and custom orthotic.

http://www.d2shoe.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

1centaur
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Ii have a Moron's neuroma

Just one letter away from being common. :)

deechee
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I wear an asics 4E running shoe. My left is a bit fatter than the left, and the foot is widest at the base of my pinky toe. My right is less wide but the top of the foot is a bit fatter so fitting in orthotics into narrow shoes is sometimes very painful on the top of my feet.

Here's what I've tried.
-Sidi Genius Mega (3 or 4). They were terrible. Lots of toe numbness. The uppers are too soft and so my foot would end up over the edges of the platform.
-DMT Ultimax. Heard DMTs were wide, and yeah, they would start fine but after 2hour+ rides, they were intolerable. Similar to you, I have a fat foot but small heel/ankle, and the DMT has the BEST heel cup fit. That was the only reason I kept the shoe for as long as I did.
-Rocket 7 custom. I created the mold with my physiotherapist - but they were the tighest fitting shoes ever. Wasn't impressed at all. The construction was lousy too.
-Shimano TR-01/02 I have both models, and both have been a g-dsend. Yes, I'm a triathlete but I find they have enough support and they're super comfortable on long rides. Breathable (maybe that's what keeps my feet from swelling as much?), wide enough to insert a superfeet insole AND keep my feet happy. (Not ecstatic, but as good as it gets.)
-Shimano R151 Wide. Sure, they're wider, but the uppers are so incredibly stiff and don't give AT ALL. (Both if you want them to go wider, and also if you want to tighten it up a bit, the hard plastic on the sides doesn't move.) As quattro, I had to order them in order to try them so I sold them before even trying them on a bike. My friend seems to like them but he's got less fat feet.
-Spec Boa. Picked up a pair here, but haven't bothered setting up the cleats... :P

ps. I've tried a pair of Pearl Izumi's and construction is pretty cheap... and I've tried Carnacs but that dang insole is really obnoxious, it was really uncomfortable with the top of my foot.

ps. quattro, I'm interested in a review of the Specs too! Thanks!

jasond
02-11-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't know about overall width, but I've tried on both road and mtb shoes from DMT and found them to be pretty tight in the forefoot. They may be great shoes for some folks but unless they've changed the lasts and patterns this year, I don't think they offer what the OP was looking for.

Yeah, I've only been able to read reviews and what's wide to someone might not be wide to another.

J

Climb01742
02-11-2009, 03:06 PM
People who have real foot problems should consider D2 custom shoes that can be made in any size and width, even different sizes for each foot.

For $30 they will send you a fit kit to trace your foot and make a crush-box impression of each foot, for custom orthotics. If you buy shoes, the fit kit is free. D2 will call to discuss specific fit issues if you place an order. The fit is guaranteed.

I've had my pair of custom D2 shoes for a few weeks. They fit like a glove and provide better arch support than any shoe I've ever owned. They should, since they have the $100 extra cost custom orthotic.

I was a little worried about the fit and even had them ship me a stock size shoe to try on. As it turned out, their 42.5 wide fit me perfectly, so I got a stock size, but with customs colors and custom orthotic.

http://www.d2shoe.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

dave, may i ask what foot or fit issue you were trying to solve? i have a wider left foot with a bit of a bump on the side that most shoes rub. did your D2s have to address any foot abnormalities? thanks.

gdw
02-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Lakes are worth taking a look at. Their wides are double EE's and the toe box has decent volume in the models I use.

quattro
02-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Where do I begin. Thanks for all of your input and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated, my feet thank you!

I have owned a pair of Shimano TR02's they were ok for a while but I moved on.

I have custom cycling orthotics made by Eric at Boston Pedorthics, they are wonderful! He uses scanning equipment from Germany that has more cameras and is more sophisticated than the device e-soles uses, the time he spends with his clients is more than you could ever hope for, he makes sure they fit correctly or he will make adjustmenst until you are satisfied, I am.

Hoping to try a pair of 2009 Specialized Pro model in a wide next week and a pair of Bontrager RXL shoes next week as well. Thinking of ordering the Northwave Aerlite SBS. Backcounty.com will give 10% off and they have a 100% return policy for as long as you own them :D Hey, sounds good to me!

Looking to find some Carnacs to try on, but the 2009 models look rather funky.

Anyway, my quest to find the most comfortable, wide, high toe box road shoe continues....stay tuned,

sspielman
02-12-2009, 06:41 AM
I also have a wide forefoot/narrow heel/high instep. NOTHING is as good as the older model Carnacs....legend...diagonale...Virenque...etc.... ..the recent Carnacs are far narrower and I have found unsatisfactory...even a pair of M5's that were "wide". More recently, I understand that carnac has been sold...and production is being moved to China. I anticipate that any semblance of new to former models will be purely coincidental. I have found Northwaves to be pretty satisfactory...but their sizing is really goofy, so trying them on is imperative (but that rule is universal anyway). I have also had good experiences with John Lucks.......BUT they are rather low in profile and I had to remove the straps, reposition them and have them sewn back on by a cobbler....a lot of trouble, but the effort was worth it.

Oh...DMT's are NARROW

djg
02-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Where do I begin. Thanks for all of your input and suggestions, it is greatly appreciated, my feet thank you!

I have owned a pair of Shimano TR02's they were ok for a while but I moved on.

I have custom cycling orthotics made by Eric at Boston Pedorthics, they are wonderful! He uses scanning equipment from Germany that has more cameras and is more sophisticated than the device e-soles uses, the time he spends with his clients is more than you could ever hope for, he makes sure they fit correctly or he will make adjustmenst until you are satisfied, I am.

Hoping to try a pair of 2009 Specialized Pro model in a wide next week and a pair of Bontrager RXL shoes next week as well. Thinking of ordering the Northwave Aerlite SBS. Backcounty.com will give 10% off and they have a 100% return policy for as long as you own them :D Hey, sounds good to me!

Looking to find some Carnacs to try on, but the 2009 models look rather funky.

Anyway, my quest to find the most comfortable, wide, high toe box road shoe continues....stay tuned,

It might be worth camping out on bonktown.com for a few days -- same business as backcountry and the northwaves pop up there from time to time for next to nothing.

What size do you wear? I have some older Carnac Ellipse shoes -- these were the last generation to have the roomier toebox before Carnac changed its patterns and they are COMFY. Composite sole. I don't wear mine anymore because the sole is sufficiently different from my main shoes that it throws me off, but if you wear a 42 (which means a slightly roomier version of a 42.5 sidi), then these can be had cheap.

bostondrunk
02-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Oh...DMT's are NARROW

I too found DMT's (kyoma) to be quite narrow....surprised to hear anyone say they are wide.
I also use the Shimano R215 E widths. The heel isn't as wide as a Sidi mega, which is a good thing. Not the lightest shoe on the market, but works well.

Dave
02-13-2009, 09:03 AM
dave, may i ask what foot or fit issue you were trying to solve? i have a wider left foot with a bit of a bump on the side that most shoes rub. did your D2s have to address any foot abnormalities? thanks.

I have no abnormalities to the shape of my feet, but I have fairly wide feet, high arches and suffer from some form of tendonitis that makes my feet hurt, particularly my right heel, that hurts even while driving a car. Just the weight of operating the throttle causes pain. I had the same problem occur over 20 years ago. It takes several years for the pain to gradually go away, with the help of orthotics and anti-inflammatories. I've tried several prescriptions, but none of them work miracles. I'm almost up to three years of battling the problem this time.

The custom orthotic spreads the pedaling forces over the arch much better than anything you could buy off the shelf, including heat formable insoles, which I tried last year. It does feel odd at first, having so much weight on the arch.

jazznap
02-13-2009, 09:29 AM
FWIW, I have wide feet and have always ran Sidi megas (after many failed attempts w/ other brands). They seem to fit just right. I have a club shaped foot; wide across ball with stubby toes. Most brands are either too narrow or too long in the toes (i.e. older Carnacs are wide enough, but have a long narrow toe). I usually either run a superfoot insert or pull it out and use the normal insert when running thick wool socks in the winter.