PDA

View Full Version : Summer has come to Kansas City

TAW
02-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Woohoo! 70 degrees today; rode in shorts and a short sleeved jersey.
Maybe all you guys from San Diego should move here! :)

biker222
02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
It must be nice, we still have 3 feet of snow on the ground.

Dave
02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Did the wind quit blowing? Yesterday, I spoke with my son who lives in KC (like I did for 22 years). He said the wind had been howling for several days straight.

I moved to the Denver area over 5 years ago and don't regret it a bit. The summers are much better with the low humidity and moderate temperatures. It's just started to snow here, but we've had several nice breaks in the weather with temps in the low 60's that allowed me 3-4 days in a row of riding into the mountains.

jmeloy
02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
So nice I bolted work and got in a quick 15 miles in south KC this afternoon. Shorts and S/S jersey... it was perfect (69 degrees). And little wind for once!

Ken Robb
02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Woohoo! 70 degrees today; rode in shorts and a short sleeved jersey.
Maybe all you guys from San Diego should move here! :)

I would consider that but I refuse to give up our fine SD BBQ! :rolleyes:

BumbleBeeDave
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
So nice I bolted work and got in a quick 15 miles in south KC this afternoon. Shorts and S/S jersey... it was perfect (69 degrees). And little wind for once!

. . . on Blue River Road?

BBD

chuckroast
02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Man. I am jealous....I was stuck in the office today staring out the windows with a heavy heart. I walked to lunch and could tell it was a great day to ride.

Tomorrow, rainy and 40's.

jmeloy
02-10-2009, 08:05 PM
. . . on Blue River Road?

BBD
BBD, were you spying on me again?? It was Blue River Road. How do you know it?

Did Ken really tout "San Diego BBQ" to a Kansas Citian? Sacrilege!

BumbleBeeDave
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
BBD, were you spying on me again?? It was Blue River Road. How do you know it?

Did Ken really tout "San Diego BBQ" to a Kansas Citian? Sacrilege!

. . .at Shawnee Mission South in Overland Park. My parents lived near 95th & Nall before their deaths in '07. When I would visit them I'd head down to 151st street, over through south KC, then head back north to Swope Park on Blue River Road. If I couldn't take my own bike I'd get a rental from Chris Smedley over at Bicycle Shack on Blue Ridge Blvd. He also does some nice rides out of the store. One of the nicest rides I ever had was with him and several others on a rainy Saturday morning several years ago. We rode up BR Blvd, then cut over to Blue river Road and up to the zoo before heading back--all in the rain and we got soaked. Then we bought donuts and chowed down while cleaning up our bikes in the back room of the store while watching the day's TdF stage on cable. It is a very fond memory. Chris and his crew are some of the friendliest, nicest people to ride with I've ever met!

Now, about that San Diego BBQ?!?! Sounds like we need to dispatch "Attack Force Arthur Bryant" westward to bring the California colonists back in line! ;)

BBD

TAW
02-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Mine were up north near Platte City. And Dave, it wasn't nearly as windy as it has been the last few days. Typically the price we pay hear for a nice day in February is 20-30 mph winds. I have a friend who lived in Colorado most of his life, and he's always talking about how much he misses it now that he lives here.

Of course, today it is rainy and 30 something degrees, but at least we had one good day of reprieve.

weatherman
02-11-2009, 09:57 AM
. . .at Shawnee Mission South in Overland Park. My parents lived near 95th & Nall before their deaths in '07. When I would visit them I'd head down to 151st street, over through south KC, then head back north to Swope Park on Blue River Road. If I couldn't take my own bike I'd get a rental from Chris Smedley over at Bicycle Shack on Blue Ridge Blvd. He also does some nice rides out of the store. One of the nicest rides I ever had was with him and several others on a rainy Saturday morning several years ago. We rode up BR Blvd, then cut over to Blue river Road and up to the zoo before heading back--all in the rain and we got soaked. Then we bought donuts and chowed down while cleaning up our bikes in the back room of the store while watching the day's TdF stage on cable. It is a very fond memory. Chris and his crew are some of the friendliest, nicest people to ride with I've ever met!

Now, about that San Diego BBQ?!?! Sounds like we need to dispatch "Attack Force Arthur Bryant" westward to bring the California colonists back in line! ;)

BBD

A South graduate, wow, must say I didn't ever expect to see such a reference 'round these parts. I too am a fellow South graduate--small world! I'm still in KC though and yes, it was killing me yesterday to be inside, especially given I was also stuck indoors on Saturday as well (yet another abnormally warm day here in KC).

And yes, I am pleased to be coming to San Diego/La Jolla this Friday and bringing the rain and cool temps with me!!! Probably won't have a chance to ride anyway unless my wife makes an extended trip to the spa--not out of the realm of possibility. We'll be up at the Lodge at Torrey Pines, Fri-Tues.

Go Raiders! (SM South Raiders that is)

:)