PDA

View Full Version : winter has come to San Diego

Ken Robb
02-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Several forum-pals have been considering vacations here this month. We have had a couple of classic winter storms form in the Gulf of Alaska and move on down. Often these don't get more than half way down the coast between SF and LA but these made it all the way.
There are at least two more "on the way". Again, sometimes they break up before they get this far south but the experts think these will make it here too. We need the rain because we've been in asemi-drought for a couple of years so locals aren't complaining too much.

Here comes the BIKE CONTENT: riding weather may be available more often for the next 2 weeks in the desert near Palm Springs, Borrego Springs, etc. They are only 1.5 hours or so from LA or San Diego so you could stay there and drive over the mountains for a day if the weather was going to be clear on the west side.

OTOH, I guess a rainy day would look good if you've been up to your butt in snow or a few weeks.

sn69
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
to being stuck here on the dark side of the moon (Oman) rather than at home in Carlsbad. No winter riding, no cold back side of Elfin Forest, no chilly wind tunnel coming into Rancho Santa Fe, etc..... :rolleyes:

Stay dry and keep the rubber side down.
Scott

CNY rider
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I'll ask this as someone who has lived in the northeast his entire life:

What is a "classic winter storm" for San Diego? Is it mainly the fact that you get rain, or are temperatures actually cold too?

jeffg
02-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Well, do not about Socal but right now in the Bay Area at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains it is about 29 degrees F, but it should warm up

We could get snow by the end of the week though

That being said, I rode yesterday in the afternon and yes it was 36 degrees and wet, but I still got a beautiful 1600 foot climb in ... still pretty darn good if you ask me

Ken Robb
02-10-2009, 09:53 AM
at 7:45am it's 45F and the high is expected to be 58F at the beach. That's cold at the beach. Inland had frost last night. We have snow at 4000 ft elevation an hour east in the mountains. Schools are closed in Julian today due to a foot of snow on the ground. Most of it will melt by late afternoon I think.
It was 80F last week. Normal highs would be 68F and no rain most days. So "classic storms" are cold wet air masses moving south from Alaska. Seattle gets them all, SF gets most of them, and from there on down the coast some make it to Mexico and some break up along the coast, often around just north of Santa Barbara.
The good news is they are easy to watch moving on radar so it's easy to predict what we'll get in the next 20 minutes to 24 hours so ride planning doesn't involve much guesswork.

konstantkarma
02-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Let me be the first to say...Awwww! :D

/hasn't been on the road for a while :(

SoCalSteve
02-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Several forum-pals have been considering vacations here this month. We have had a couple of classic winter storms form in the Gulf of Alaska and move on down. Often these don't get more than half way down the coast between SF and LA but these made it all the way.
There are at least two more "on the way". Again, sometimes they break up before they get this far south but the experts think these will make it here too. We need the rain because we've been in asemi-drought for a couple of years so locals aren't complaining too much.

Here comes the BIKE CONTENT: riding weather may be available more often for the next 2 weeks in the desert near Palm Springs, Borrego Springs, etc. They are only 1.5 hours or so from LA or San Diego so you could stay there and drive over the mountains for a day if the weather was going to be clear on the west side.

OTOH, I guess a rainy day would look good if you've been up to your butt in snow or a few weeks.

Tour de Palm Springs is this weekend...At this point its a 40% chance of rain and a high of 59*...

This might not seem so bad to many, but its usually in the mid 70's and not a cloud in the sky when we do this ride every year.

There may be 8,000 disappointed riders come this Saturday.

I'm going no matter what. Staying in a nice hotel room, reading a good book doesnt sound all that bad.

Just sayin'

Steve

Jeff N.
02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
As much as I hate riding in the rain, I'm riding Td Palm Springs no matter what. Jeff N.

paczki
02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Man and I'm flying out Thursday to La Jolla for ten days. Bummer. Weather may be nicer here!

Steve in SLO
02-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Here in San Luis Obispo, we got a dusting of snow down to about 1000 feet yesterday AM. I am certainly not complaining, but unless this changes, when the Tour of California starts up next week, the riders may be facing several days that'll have them wishing for balmy Flemish weather. Last years stage from Carmel to SLO was so bad that in a post-race interview, Levi Leipheimer said that had been one of the 2 worst days he'd ever ridden on.

weatherman
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Man and I'm flying out Thursday to La Jolla for ten days. Bummer. Weather may be nicer here!

Booked on a flight Friday night and 4 nights at Lodge at Torrey Pines. I'm giving serious thought to punting at the moment as the wife and I had all outodoor plans for our 4 days in SD/LJ. Trying to come up with a better alternative now that doesn't break the bank due to last minute planning.

Just heard there is a big marathon in Austin this weekend so thats not looking great although the weather there looks to be substantially better than SD!

Actually looks like the SW in general is going to be f#$%$#d this weekend.

Bummer.
:butt:

fourflys
02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I rode to work this morning...it was 33 degrees when I left, but it was dry! I don't mind the cold so much. I decided when I started riding last year (and it rained my first commute), that I wouldn't intentionally ride in the rain since it doesn't rain much here and people are idiots on the road when it's dry...
Chris

SoCalSteve
02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
As much as I hate riding in the rain, I'm riding Td Palm Springs no matter what. Jeff N.

I'll be thinking about you when I'm all snuggly in my warm bed with a good book (oh,and my wife).

Steve

PS: If its just sort of spitting, we'll ride. If its gushing, see ya!

thwart
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Time to go out and get a sympathy card... :rolleyes:

F-f-f-fifty degrees! Oh, no! ;) :D

Ti Designs
02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
y'all have gotten soft (if you were ever anything but soft). My calendar says it's winter. I don't know what the groundhog saw, but whatever it was, it's still winter. Winter, if you happen to live in New England means cold weather, snow, ice, road salt and potholes. Put the bigger tires on the bike, put on a few extra layers and ride. Complaining about things isn't gonna change anything.

Ken Robb
02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
We were all wondering who was bringing this weather to us. Thanks, Pal. :)
Where are you staying?

max_powers
02-10-2009, 12:10 PM
we had fantastic warm January weather here in SoCal. Lotsa miles logged.

February is typically the Rainy Season, when the storms plow into California one after another.

The Tour of California will have specatacular helicoptor shots of the state.

weather permitting. Appears Probably similar to last year.

rounder
02-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Punxatawney Phil saw his shadow (not sure what the other groundhogs saw). I think that means it is official, there will be six more weeks of winter.

paczki
02-10-2009, 12:17 PM
We were all wondering who was bringing this weather to us. Thanks, Pal. :)
Where are you staying?

We found a rental near Windansea. Hopefully next week will be better than this week! As long as it's above 32 I'm riding -- I don't care for ice.

draper
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
www.weather.com says:

Looks pretty good until the 19th. I rode with full gloves on this morning. It gets cold riding through the canyons. I think for everybody else this means Spring like.
10-Day Forecast NEW: Larger Radar Maps & No Ads

High /
Low (°F) Precip. %
Today
Feb 10 Sunny 60°/44° 0 %
Wed
Feb 11 Partly Cloudy 62°/50° 0 %
Thu
Feb 12 Partly Cloudy 60°/48° 10 %
Fri
Feb 13 Few Showers 59°/51° 30 %
Sat
Feb 14 Showers 56°/51° 40 %
Sun
Feb 15 Showers 55°/51° 60 %
Mon
Feb 16 Partly Cloudy 60°/51° 10 %
Tue
Feb 17 Mostly Cloudy 62°/50° 10 %
Wed
Feb 18 Cloudy 64°/52° 10 %
Thu
Feb 19 Showers 64°/51° 60 %
Last Updated Feb 10 10:02 a.m. PT

Ken Robb
02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
We found a rental near Windansea. Hopefully next week will be better than this week! As long as it's above 32 I'm riding -- I don't care for ice.

just drag your butt out of bed and head over to The Cottage or Harry's for a nice breakfast and start your ride around 10am when it will be warmer and the rush hour traffic over.

I doubt that it will rain all day every day and the storms MAY never even get this far south.

capybaras
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
The forecast is improving...keep up the good work! :banana:

weatherman
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
The forecast is improving...keep up the good work! :banana:

Indeed, we are sticking with plans and rolling into La Jolla late on the 13th. Hoping for "improving" weather over the weekend and early next week!

:banana:

Kevan
02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
when I'd be talking to my SD management and the subject would turn to weather and they would sympathize trying to compare their "annoying" marine layer to our 18 degree temps and 8 inches of snow. Must be tough on the hair.

Nice try.

Ken Robb
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Indeed, we are sticking with plans and rolling into La Jolla late on the 13th. Hoping for "improving" weather over the weekend and early next week!

:banana:

I'm in the phone book if you want restaurant ideas or any other local help. The garage is a pretty well-equiped bike shop too. We live a couple of miles from The Lodge.

Johny
02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Winter has come to SD? No wonder it's suddenly feeling so hot here.

capybaras
02-16-2009, 09:10 AM
What do you do when it rains here (like today :eek: ) !?!?!?

Ken Robb
02-16-2009, 09:55 AM
February is "Museum Month" and Macys gives out cards good for 1/2 off at most of them. You can easily spend 2 days walking among them in Balboa Park. The Prado Restaurant is excellent though they may be dark on Mondays. Walk west along The Prado which becomes Laurel St., cross 6th, fo one more block to 6th Ave where you will find Hexagone, one of our favorite restaurants. Another good place on that corner is "Laurel".

capybaras
02-16-2009, 09:55 AM
Also- Where's a good place to watch the Tour of California? Preferably someplace with good beer. :beer:

Ken Robb
02-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't know where that race would be available for sure or where you are but Shakespeare's Pub and Princess Pub both have all the soccer games on TV so they might be able to tune in the race if asked. Rock Bottom Brewery also has sports on TV. These all have many good beers ATMO. Rock Bottom has the easiest parking and is on SW corner of La Jolla Villag Dr. and Villa La Jolla Drive just west of I-5.

capybaras
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Ken,
Thanks a million for all your good advice! :banana:

paczki
02-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Today's ride was great:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Girard-Start-Torrey-Loop

girlie
02-17-2009, 07:36 PM
paczki-capybaras,

Now can you see why I say the 'wrong place for riding' about back here.....
Luckys out there riding.

Enjoy,
girlie

Ken Robb
02-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Today's ride was great:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Girard-Start-Torrey-Loop

Next time you go that way try the inside road up through Torrey Pines Reserve from the beach. The climb is steeper but shorter and there are much better views and no cars. It is the old highway and you can stop at a museum in what used to be a restaurant/road house in the 1920s. This road rejoins Torrey Pines Rd. just past the summit of TP Grade that you rode today.

jeffg
02-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Next time you go that way try the inside road up through Torrey Pines Reserve from the beach. The climb is steeper but shorter and there are much better views and no cars. It is the old highway and you can stop at a museum in what used to be a restaurant/road house in the 1920s. This road rejoins Torrey Pines Rd. just past the summit of TP Grade that you rode today.

+1

My mom lives in Del Mar effectively a mile from the base of that climb and it is way better than the highway (though nothing like my local climbs in Norcal ;) ).

paczki
02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
+1

My mom lives in Del Mar effectively a mile from the base of that climb and it is way better than the highway (though nothing like my local climbs in Norcal ;) ).

The climbs on today's ride were real climbs:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/deLuz-Loop

Really, really beautiful

Ken Robb
02-18-2009, 10:11 PM
If you liked that route take a look at the Honey Springs, Japatul Rd., Lyons Valley Road links. Very rural and lots of climbing.

paczki
02-19-2009, 10:48 PM
If you liked that route take a look at the Honey Springs, Japatul Rd., Lyons Valley Road links. Very rural and lots of climbing.

This was today's ride. Incredibly beautiful and climb-a-rific! :)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/san-diego/502641270

Ken Robb
02-19-2009, 10:52 PM
and sunny 70 degree days are good too, right? Where are you eating?

Ken Robb
02-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Now that it's warmed up the snow has probably melted so try Engineer Road from Lake Cuyamaca to Pine Hills, Julian, and back to Cuyamaca. Sunrise Highway is lovely too as is Wynola Road. These are all near Julian. Make your own loops. Eat apple pie in Julian at Julian Pie Company. You will have earned it.

Meas Grande Road is in the same area and worth a ride as well. I don't know how much time you have left in SD.

paczki
02-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Now that it's warmed up the snow has probably melted so try Engineer Road from Lake Cuyamaca to Pine Hills, Julian, and back to Cuyamaca. Sunrise Highway is lovely too as is Wynola Road. These are all near Julian. Make your own loops. Eat apple pie in Julian at Julian Pie Company. You will have earned it.

Meas Grande Road is in the same area and worth a ride as well. I don't know how much time you have left in SD.

I have to earn my keep tomorrow, so only a brief ride. Then we can ride all day Saturday and the red-eye home. Those rides sound great.
We are mainly eating at El Pescador and Bahia in Bird Rock.

Ken Robb
02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
I have to earn my keep tomorrow, so only a brief ride. Then we can ride all day Saturday and the red-eye home. Those rides sound great.
We are mainly eating at El Pescador and Bahia in Bird Rock.

If you want to carbo-load try Mama Mia at 1932 +/- Balboa Ave. in Pacific Beach. It's 50 yards east of lamont St. Francesco and his wife Cinzia own it--use my name w/Francesco at your own risk. You'll probably get kissed. It's cheap and good. They honor reservations too.

Ken Robb
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
If you want a honey-do-have-fun ride you might borrow a bike from us and take your wife around SD Bay, have lunch at the Ferry Landing in Coronado, ride the ferry across the bay and pedal home. It's dead flat and scenic, riding through wildlife sanctuaries on the west side of the bay along the Silver Strand.

paczki
02-20-2009, 12:50 AM
If you want a honey-do-have-fun ride you might borrow a bike from us and take your wife around SD Bay, have lunch at the Ferry Landing in Coronado, ride the ferry across the bay and pedal home. It's dead flat and scenic, riding through wildlife sanctuaries on the west side of the bay along the Silver Strand.

Thanks, that's very kind. But my girlfriend brought her own bike and was leading up the climb!

Thanks for all your advice, it's been great. I love the Serotta Forum. :banana:

paczki
02-20-2009, 12:50 AM
paczki-capybaras,

Now can you see why I say the 'wrong place for riding' about back here.....
Luckys out there riding.

Enjoy,
girlie

It's great but I love riding in New England also. Just not in Winter!

Ken Robb
02-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks, that's very kind. But my girlfriend brought her own bike and was leading up the climb!

Thanks for all your advice, it's been great. I love the Serotta Forum. :banana:Oops-when you said you "had to earn your keep" and ride only a little I thought you meant a "honey-do" day of some kind on your vacation. I didn't know you were a coed cycling group. That's a really good thing for you both.

paczki
02-22-2009, 12:38 PM
For our last ride we took it fairly easy, a variation on the Swami's ride:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Recyclers-Elfin-forest

Started off real ugly and then you turn onto Elfin Forest. Incredibly beautiful. What a wonderful week of cycling!

Ken Robb
02-22-2009, 12:47 PM
come again. :beer: