PDA

View Full Version : OT: photo hosting sites?

Climb01742
02-10-2009, 07:52 AM
what sites for hosting photos on the web do folks like? thank you.

Ray
02-10-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm sure there are plenty. I've been using photobucket because it was the easiest one to be able to put a photo up and then put a reference to it on a board like this without actually having to put the photo ON this site. You just copy the image code and the Serotta forum or whatever forum goes out and finds it. Just makes the whole process of posting photos infinitely easier. I haven't played around with albums much in terms of sharing them with friends and family, though, so I don't know how easily it works for that. Seems fine, though.

-Ray

tylercheung
02-10-2009, 08:21 AM
i'm a bit partial to flickr

johnnymossville
02-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I use photobucket, but flickr seems to have some great extras to go with it.

BumbleBeeDave
02-10-2009, 08:32 AM
. . . but have to admit I haven't done a lot of shopping around. I already have so much on pBase it would be a real pain to move it all over. pBase also seems to be more for artists than for posting family snapshots. But the annual cost is reasonable and great customer service.

BBD

merlinmurph
02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Things I look for in a photo site:
1. easy interface to upload
2. can you use FTP to upload? Some sites don't tell you, but they do have FTP. This makes it very easy to upload a ton of pics at once. Any graphical interface is a PITA when uploading a lot of pics.
3. How much are your pics compressed? How do they look?
4. Can you look at a pic at full size?

Every time I find a free photo site I like, the site closes after awhile. I'm using shutterfly right now, still looking for better, and am tempted to just use pbase.

rnhood
02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I use Zenfolio and, like it fine. Flickr does Ok too. But Zenfolio has some neat features and, they are sure quick responding to any question. It works well for me.

SpeedyChix
02-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Like PhotoBucket

jmeloy
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
is this how others are able to show large pics ON this site rather than having to leave the SF and go to flickr or similar?

Ray
02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
is this how others are able to show large pics ON this site rather than having to leave the SF and go to flickr or similar?
Yeah. Here's a photo from a bike tour I did a few years ago that's hosted by Photobucket. If you hit "quote" to reply to this message you'll see the code in the quote window. The site generates the code when you upload your pic and you just paste the code in here.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/ramboorider/Telluride%20Moab/Utah2004024.jpg

-Ray

Climb01742
02-10-2009, 03:47 PM
lovely photo, and place, ray.

Ray
02-10-2009, 04:04 PM
lovely photo, and place, ray.
Thanks Climb. That's north of Telluride, CO. We'd just ridden over a pass in the mountains you're looking at, just off the left edge of the photo. Started in Telluride, up and over Last Dollar Pass, and down the other side to Dallas Divide. The whole tour was on dirt roads, except for a few short sections of paved highway. I lived in Telluride in the early '80s and this was my first time back in more than 20 years. One of the prettiest places I know.

-Ray

jmeloy
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Climb. That's north of Telluride, CO. We'd just ridden over a pass in the mountains you're looking at, just off the left edge of the photo. Started in Telluride, up and over Last Dollar Pass, and down the other side to Dallas Divide. The whole tour was on dirt roads, except for a few short sections of paved highway. I lived in Telluride in the early '80s and this was my first time back in more than 20 years. One of the prettiest places I know.

-Ray
I've got to get a chance to ride out there someday! Thanks for the photo tips!

Lincoln
02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I like flickr and photobucket fine for freebee hosting of photos for posting to forums and such.

I think Zenfolio and Smugmug are much better but you have to pay a few bucks a year for the privilege. I use Smugmug and love it. Great customer service too. If you decided they are your choice let me know and we can both save a few bucks through their referral program :beer: